Food

Ive always taken a packup to work . If i have a nightout ill buy a breakfast and usually have something in the cab to see me through the rest of day. But ive noticed that alot of the younger drivers seem to buy all thier meals out
What does everyone else do for sustanance

Avoid food that has been made in a factory.
Avoid processed meat.

I have always eaten out at home and abroad, my figuring was if I can’t afford to eat then the job isn’t worth a ■■■■, night out money is not for parking someone else’s vehicle.
I took sweaty cheese and tomato sandwiches to school and in my first couple of weeks at work in a garage.

Get the company credit card out :sunglasses:

I do my bit though, buy reduced food or use apps/vouchers, get my coffee at McD’s instead of Costa etc to keep it to a minimum so I get to keep the card.

As Juddian says about people using sick days as extra holiday if I take the ■■■■ they can easily take it off me and the other drivers.

If we are on yard work or 8hr days I have to buy my own lunch which is normally a £3 meal deal.

At the moment I’m away all week. I’ll take some home made pies or sausage rolls with me, but if I took a full week worth of food I’d probably have eaten it all by Tuesday morning.

I do try and buy sarnies from small shops rsther than petrol stations or the golden arches

Boil,roast or grill your food.
No cakes,chocolate or biscuits.

If I’m working where the company pays for the food I eat a lot better than if i’m working somewhere where I have to buy my own, wonder why ■■ :sunglasses: When I was on the road digestive biscuits and dairylea cheese slices kept me going till I parked up then I would knock something up or just go for a bevy …

According to the daymen on here us trampers who are out all week and beyond live on pot noodles, Ginsters pies,.Mars bars and cans of Coke. :unamused: to keep us going on our ‘’ unpaid security guard’’ duties. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

In reality though :smiley: … I take a few home cooked (or wife cooked) meals with me and warm them up in the microwave, sheperds pie, beef/chicken stews, curries, kung pow chicken, or sometimes left over Sunday roasts…which is my fave.
I always carry enough in the fridge for 5 nights out, so always carry too much tbh as I am out about 4 a week nowadays, rather than weeks away in the past.
Used to cook from scratch on a gas stove in the past, but can’t be arsed now.

So I always have some left over, but my fridge is on low so they ‘roll over’ to the following week.

I also I try and eat out one or two nights a week, (very selectively on venues btw as I don’t eat crap) cut my cooked brekkies down to a once a fortnight ‘treat’ but again I avoid greasy food crap holes when I do.
I also have a pack of tortilla wraps with cooked chicken, salad and sweet chilli sauce, with a box of fruit for snacking, and carry about 6 pints of milk for cereals,.and a few bottles of Becks.

So despite the daymen’s bizzare distorted views :smiley: , some of us eat quite well and fairly healthly thanks. :sunglasses:

I take a packed lunch each night, tortilla wraps with chicken, fruit, nuts, crisps, flapjack, etc… and a bottle of water filled from my tap.

Always have a can of chicken tikka and a pouch of Uncle Ben’s rice (other brands are available) for the microwave in case I get stuck out.

I pretty much make all my stuff. I’ve got a fridge freezer, gas stove, pots/pans etc. If I’m near somewhere decent to eat (ie not a McDonald’s etc) then I’ll have an evening meal if I fancy it.

Nip to Lidl the day before I start and for £30 I can put together 4 portions of 3 different meals into plastic tubs which sorts me out for breakfast, break and park up (I’m 4 on 4 off) for the week. Also covers plenty of fruit to snack on and a 12 pack of water. Motor’s specced with fridge and microwave.

I’ll grab the occasional treat if and when Im passing Tebay, Gloucester or Cairn Lodge (big fan of their gooey cheesecake brownies at the moment) but I refuse on principal to buy anything from any other motorway services.

Cook all my own as I cant eat any thing containing gluten ,
Make up batch meals of sweet n sour , rice , minced beef , also take precooked veg and uncooked chops or steak
You also need a decent fridge as well

It used to be McDonalds. And I’d occasionally take something with me.

But since I’ve started doing agency driving for supermarkets I let them cook for me. Massive warm meal for about £2 from the 24 hour canteen.

A small gas cooker and an electric cool box and you can survive very well out on the road . I had a box of home made porridge mix for breakfasts , mix porridge oats with powdered mill and any flavouring of choice , add hot water and simmer to taste or a container of cereal , pasta or boil in the bag rice and add a sauce or a tin of your favourites, chilli or curry etc .
Fruit and nuts for snacks , save your favourite eating places as special treats or as pick me ups for the crappy days .
Oh veggie stir fries with peppers added to noodles is good for keeping you regular .
I preferred tea to drink so usually brewed my own as the chances of getting a decent one in an MSA is almost nil.
We once made loads of new friends when stuck on a French motorway due to a major accident. We fired the kettle up and noticed an old chap looking longingly at us drinking hot tea and my mate drinking coffee , we asked if he had a cup and another motorist offered him one of his .
We soon had an impromptu picnic going as bread and cheeses and cooked meats appeared from various vehicles .
Those in Europe tend to carry picnics in their cars on longer journeys, much as we used to in this country before we became addicted to fast food at MSAs .
You tend to notice those at the picnic stops in Europe are healthier than most in this country at the food outlets in the services.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I’m out on 4on4off, my Mrs makes lasagne, chilli, chicken curry, scouse, shepards pie, meatballs and pasta, ect
All frozen, stick them in my freezer and take one out early afternoon to defrost and microwave them and if needed a 2 minute bag of microwave rice.
I also have tubs of fresh chopped fruit for afters.
and a sneaky trifle :wink:

When on tour I get catering which 9/10 is bloody good. When out on your own you can a food budget of about 25 to 35€ a day depending. I don’t have a microwave at the moment in this truck but I normally use Ubereats or Deliveroo. I had fun with it yesterday trying to work out what was what because it’s all in Spanish!

when I first started tramping I made up sandwiches in foil packs, just meat (ham etc) for Monday, ham and pickle (preservative) Tuesday, cheese Wednesday, cheese and pickle Thursday, spam out the can Friday, but if it all went wrong at the London docks it could all be gone by Tuesday dinner. then off to potters field tooley street, for tea at the Italian in the celler, and on the correct night over the bridge to the minories,