Help and advice!

I have drove for Muller for 16 years on permanent 5 nights. Good job, easy work. Ok managers and work mates. Picking up just over £500 a week.
I’ve been tempted by a move to Hoyer on the fuel. Out of my comfort zone but a new adventure.
Will be between 600 -700 pw. Working a lot less shifts. (Roughly 30 weeks over a year) 2 weeks days 1 week nights.
I suppose I’m nervous about quitting after 16 years service for a decent outfit.
Any advice ■■

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The grass aint always greener, and there is a lot to be said for being happy and content in your job, especially in transport today the way it has turned to crap over the years, and money aint everything compared to contentment/happiness in a job.

I’ve been on well paid jobs before in the past with good t.s and c.s that I have loved , but admit to settling for second best in my present job (in terms of money) because I have a number that suits me, and I don’t get hassled or pushed.

So in my case if a better paid job came up, I would maybe not bother…but that’s just me who has done just about everything transport, and now enjoy a quiet life but still tramping.

The previous type jobs I mentioned are a bit like rocking horse nowadays, BUT on the other hand the job you are considering could be just that :bulb: , you won’t know to you try,…but if it aint you will have made a bad move…unless your present firm values you enough to take you back on.

I know this aint much help mate :unamused: , I’m just illustrating the options to you. :smiley:
You decide.

Stay where you are.
Sounds like an easy number so why throw all that away?
Plus you have 16 years under your belt so you have some job security and a bit of redundency pay if your job at Mullers is lost.
As Rob says “the grass is not always greener” is very very true. I once left a very easy and cushy number on chemicals as I had the 7 year itch that needed scratching…boy what a mistake that was when I thought id have a crack at Jewsons HIAB work :open_mouth:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125482

robroy:
The grass aint always greener, and there is a lot to be said for being happy and content in your job, especially in transport today the way it has turned to crap over the years, and money aint everything compared to contentment/happiness in a job.

I’ve been on well paid jobs before in the past with good t.s and c.s that I have loved , but admit to settling for second best in my present job (in terms of money) because I have a number that suits me, and I don’t get hassled or pushed.

So in my case if a better paid job came up, I would maybe not bother…but that’s just me who has done just about everything transport, and now enjoy a quiet life but still tramping.

The previous type jobs I mentioned are a bit like rocking horse nowadays, BUT on the other hand the job you are considering could be just that :bulb: , you won’t know to you try,…but if it aint you will have made a bad move…unless your present firm values you enough to take you back on.

I know this aint much help mate :unamused: , I’m just illustrating the options to you. :smiley:
You decide.

Agree with all of this, I’ve taken jobs for more money in the past, thinking that the extra bunce would make up for any crap but it’s never worked out for me. Might for some people, but I’m just not made that way, life’s too short to be unhappy for the majority of your week…

Pros.
Better money it appears, but recheck your calculations, less working hours and weeks but again recheck on a calender so you know exactly…ie mark the working year out so you can see exactly when you will be at work.

Anti.
Swapping days and nights isn’t good for you, but might be better for you than permanent nights.
Day work = traffic.
Rotating shifts must mean weekend work, plus bank hols, are you ok with that and is your family.
More regulated?, well probably, but in practice once they get to know you and realise they can trust you, you’ll find they tend not to bother so long as the job gets done safely, no accidents or damage and the customer is happy they’re happy.

Ask yourself why are you wanting a swap, this is the important question.
better money? well that fair enough especially if its for less hours too so a win win, and it sounds like you’re going to get another £150 or so a month in your take home, if less hours too…
this is a different move to what many make, you’re going for more money for less hours where most drivers end up working much harder than they envisaged for the extra pay.
A new job is always a bit daunting and there will be lots to learn but fuel tankers are seriously stable on the road and well maintained, it’s not like you could end up on some bodgit and scarper outfit with shabby ill maintained kit, that isn’t going to happen on fuel tanks.

When i started on powder tanks it seemed a lot to take in, but after a few months it all falls into place, and now i wish to hell i’d made the move years ago, would hate to go onto other work now.
Yes we have all sorts of monitoring equipment (but no in cab cameras and nor will there be any), but in practice never once has anyone questioned my times or routes and i use all sorts of routes to get round congestion.

If you decide to go for it, don’t look back with rose tint glasses and don’t be downhearted by the first couple of months whilst you learn the job, go for it heart and soul as a fresh start, and if after a few years you decide its not for you, you’re a trained and experienced tanker driver which can and will open good doors.

robroy:

You decide.

A lot to be said for all your comments. A lot have left Muller and came back.

I suppose I think at 53, have I got 1 big move left in me. If I don’t go, I’ll be here until I retire.
Definitely I know the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

I was tramping on general for 13 years before Muller with Tooles transport so I know what proper graft and long hours is like.

Maybe I’ve become complacent where I am.
Change is good as a rest kind of attitude.

I think if the carrot hadn’t been dangled before me I wouldn’t have made the choice myself.

Juddian:
Pros.
Better money it appears, but recheck your calculations, less working hours and weeks but again recheck on a calender so you know exactly.

Anti.
Swapping days and nights isn’t good for you, but might be better for you than permanent nights.
Day work = traffic.
Rotating shifts must mean weekend work, plus bank hols, are you ok with that and is your family.
More regulated?, well probably, but in practice once they get to know you and realise they can trust you, you’ll find they tend not to bother so long as the job gets done safely, no accidents or damage and the customer is happy they’re happy.

Ask yourself why are you wanting a swap, this is the important question.
better money? well that fair enough especially if its for less hours too so a win win, and it sounds like you’re going to get another £150 or so a month in your take home, if less hours too…
this is a different move to what many make, you’re going for more money for less hours where most drivers end up working much harder than they envisaged for the extra pay.
A new job is always a bit daunting and there will be lots to learn but fuel tankers are seriously stable on the road and well maintained, it’s not like you could end up on some bodgit and scarper outfit with shabby ill maintained kit, that isn’t going to happen on fuel tanks.

When i started on powder tanks it seemed a lot to take in, but after a few months it all falls into place, and now i wish to hell i’d made the move years ago, would hate to go onto other work now.
Yes we have all sorts of monitoring equipment (but no in cab cameras and nor will there be any), but in practice never once has anyone questioned my times or routes and i use all sorts of routes to get round congestion.

If you decide to go for it, don’t look back with rose tint glasses and don’t be downhearted by the first couple of months whilst you learn the job, go for it heart and soul as a fresh start, and if after a few years you decide its not for you, you’re a trained and experienced tanker driver which can and will open good doors.

That’s brilliant Juddian. I’ve had 2 jobs in 26 years. Not many people can say that in transport nowadays so I definitely don’t take moving lightly.

I call my Muller job the semi-retirement job for drivers! I would have no doubt that they would offer me something if I wanted to come back, but on their terms and 16 years service gone!

It’s a tough decision made more difficult by my age I think. 10 years ago, I wouldn’t have hesitated.

paulant18:

robroy:

You decide.

A lot to be said for all your comments. A lot have left Muller and came back.

I suppose I think at 53, have I got 1 big move left in me. If I don’t go, I’ll be here until I retire.
Definitely I know the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

I was tramping on general for 13 years before Muller with Tooles transport so I know what proper graft and long hours is like.

Maybe I’ve become complacent where I am.
Change is good as a rest kind of attitude.

I think if the carrot hadn’t been dangled before me I wouldn’t have made the choice myself.

Think you’ve got your answer in your last sentence!

One other thing, pensions, i haven’t a clue what the situation is on either company, but the right deal could easily be worth another £100 a month :bulb: . but then the Mirror group employees though their pensions were safe, as did the BHS people, and there’s always another chancellor eager to steal money from the people who don’t matter, ie us.

The good thing about both jobs is they are as secure as anything else about, petrol is going to be delivered by road tanker and milk isn’t going out of fashion for the forseeable, if either of the present companies folded or lost the contract some bugger is going to carry on delivering the product and they’ll want bods already doing it.

Good advice from all you guys. It’s a tough one.

It’s one of those isn’t it, forget it and appreciate what I’ve got, or regret!!

Juddian:
One other thing, pensions, i haven’t a clue what the situation is on either company, but the right deal could easily be worth another £100 a month :bulb: . but then the Mirror group employees though their pensions were safe, as did the BHS people, and there’s always another chancellor eager to steal money from the people who don’t matter, ie us.

The good thing about both jobs is they are as secure as anything else about, petrol is going to be delivered by road tanker and milk isn’t going out of fashion for the forseeable, if either of the present companies folded or lost the contract some bugger is going to carry on delivering the product and they’ll want bods already doing it.

I could be wrong, but I think pensions are a complete con. I don’t have one and I don’t want one, for the reasons you give above.

What I really want to know is, what are powder tanks like? Can you make dreadful mistakes whilst loading/unloading? Does everything get covered in powders? Is it a pleasant job?

Drempels:

Juddian:

I could be wrong, but I think pensions are a complete con. I don’t have one and I don’t want one, for the reasons you give above.

What I really want to know is, what are powder tanks like? Can you make dreadful mistakes whilst loading/unloading? Does everything get covered in powders? Is it a pleasant job?

Aye, pensions are a minefield, the only ones guaranteed are the members of parliament, assorted apparatchiks (especially the EU gravy boat) and civil service, whoda thunk it :unamused:

Powder tanks? a doddle, but don’t tell anyone, you set the equipment up plug the feed pipe in, fire up and stand there like a big girl’s blouse (you have to be a certain age :wink: ) for anything from 30 minutes to 2 hours (usually an hour) while the lorry does its thing.
Yes you need to keep your wits about you, and its best not to rush cos thats when it can go wrong, if it goes wrong anyone gets hurt its always because someone’s rushing and/or cutting corners.
Take your time its not a race, look after your equipment do the job methodically and it’s one of the best jobs out there…and best of all RDC hell holes are but a bad dream from the past.

Cheers mate! Always wondered about them, might give them a bash at some time in the future.

I know someone who got a job with Hoyer on the fuel tankers and he only lasted 6 months…

he said the money was great but it was all rush…rush…rush… and he got fed up with all the hassle !

If you decide to leave ,have a chat with the boss ,explain why you are leaving ,but ask if it doesn’t work out can you come back …ALWAYS leave on good terms …Money isn’t everything ,can you work in a crap job just because the money is good ,or would you prefer to go home happy with less…■■? But sometimes in life you need to take a chance …Speak to any owner driver

Tooz:
I know someone who got a job with Hoyer on the fuel tankers and he only lasted 6 months…

he said the money was great but it was all rush…rush…rush… and he got fed up with all the hassle !

That’s the thing but having said all that it’s only 204 shifts a year without overtime! Practically part time compared to what most drivers are used to!

norb:
If you decide to leave ,have a chat with the boss ,explain why you are leaving ,but ask if it doesn’t work out can you come back …ALWAYS leave on good terms …Money isn’t everything ,can you work in a crap job just because the money is good ,or would you prefer to go home happy with less…■■? But sometimes in life you need to take a chance …Speak to any owner driver

Good point Norb, I’d be very disappointed if my boss didn’t say that to me after 16 years!!

Juddian:

Drempels:

Juddian:

Aye, pensions are a minefield, the only ones guaranteed are the members of parliament, assorted apparatchiks (especially the EU gravy boat) and civil service, whoda thunk it :unamused:

Powder tanks? a doddle, but don’t tell anyone, you set the equipment up plug the feed pipe in, fire up and stand there like a big girl’s blouse (you have to be a certain age :wink: ) for anything from 30 minutes to 2 hours (usually an hour) while the lorry does its thing.
Yes you need to keep your wits about you, and its best not to rush cos thats when it can go wrong, if it goes wrong anyone gets hurt its always because someone’s rushing and/or cutting corners.
Take your time its not a race, look after your equipment do the job methodically and it’s one of the best jobs out there…and best of all RDC hell holes are but a bad dream from the past.

Something else I didn’t mention.
Currently I could walk to work. The Hoyer job is a 50 mile round trip with a 5am start!

So fuel costs ,will that leave you on basically the same wage you are on ■■/