Daf XF 68 plate niggles

Evening all well i have had a new unit for over a month and have noticed a few things, it is due in for inspection next week so will mention it but wondered if anyone else has encountered the same things

1. Ticking by the exhaust, I am wondering if it is an adblue injector, if so is that normal on this years units to tick?
  2. When night heater is on I have a loud humming noise down by drivers footwell? Also happens with ignition turned on
  3. Exhaust box if correct (behind cab) makes a noise then once air is dumped it goes quiet but seconds later back again? This all day behind the drivers seat drives me nuts haha.

My mate has a 17 plate XF and he has none of these issues with his.

Thanks for any answers any body might have.

1. yes its the adblue injector
  2. the huming is an electric water pump, the night heater now heats the coolant which is pumped into the standard cab heater system, it also warms the engine when outside temp gets low
  3. ■■?

Thanks 205 well i guess that is 2 less things to mention but the humming noise is really annoying especially at night when it is quiet and all you can hear is that.

Sorry its the black air box that goes up the back of the cab, there is a noise like a vibration then once the air is dumped it goes quiet until air starts building up again so can you throw any light on that?

Quite common for the truck compressors to take their feed from the truck engines air filter intake system ie the ■■■■■■■■■ bit up the back of the cab, so maybe what you can hear is somehow compressor related or an air leak?

Lewy:
the humming noise is really annoying especially at night when it is quiet and all you can hear is that.

I’ll come and park next to you one night with a 15year old thermo-king set at --26, then you’ll know what noise is. :smiley:

biggriffin:

Lewy:
the humming noise is really annoying especially at night when it is quiet and all you can hear is that.

I’ll come and park next to you one night with a 15year old thermo-king set at --26, then you’ll know what noise is. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The noise behind the seat could be the fan inside the seat, the switch is down the right hand side as you sit in the seat ,near the switch for the heated seat.
I had it for about a week before I realised I had knocked the switch and turned it on.

Wheres Norb, he,s your man for anything Daf

biggriffin:

Lewy:

:smiley: I’ll raise you a TK Su-Boss 2 with knackered motor covers… Was always grateful for tiredness!

Drempels:

biggriffin:

Lewy:

:smiley: I’ll raise you a TK Su-Boss 2 with knackered motor covers… Was always grateful for tiredness!

Close but it isn’t a 10+ year old carrier, on a thin-walled box, after a defrost cycle, going on to --26… Sweet music… Hope that’s not running all night drive. :smiley:

biggriffin:

Drempels:

biggriffin:

Lewy:

Close but it isn’t a 10+ year old carrier, on a thin-walled box, after a defrost cycle, going on to --26… Sweet music… Hope that’s not running all night drive. :smiley:

Nice! I used to love it when people would park next to you and then ask you that silly question :unamused:

After years of getting a kip in fridge vans with the engine running, I sleep better with the background noise. happy parked next to a running fridge trailer, sends me straight to sleep :smiley:

idrive:
After years of getting a kip in fridge vans with the engine running, I sleep better with the background noise. happy parked next to a running fridge trailer, sends me straight to sleep :smiley:

Me too! I like a bit of background noise when going to sleep. I just lie there thinking of all the peeps who are out there making the world go round as I’m sleeping and all the different things they’re doi… zzzzz

Works a treat!

Re 3, are you sure its the pipe that’s vibrating as theres a lot of metalwork around the cat walk and quite a bit doesn’t seem well fixed on DAFs. Even the battery box can vibrate at least on older ones.

Oh I think that black pipe is an air intake - stand beside the catwalk opposite side to the fuel tank and you’ll find the exhaust, as your trousers catch fire. :slight_smile:

Nothing I used to love more was pulling into Taunton Deane early hours of a Saturday morning amongst all the wobble boxes with a full load of ice cream on a poorly insulated box with a 1995 thermo king roaring it’s balls off. Pop in for a coffee and a pee and come back to everyone having moved a good distance away and occasionally someone trying to have a pop