Serious crash 11/10/18 M4 east 14/13 Newbury long closure

Heads up for anyone thinking of going that way.
Shut from 3pm for a long time according to police 2 trucks v minibus

M4 crash: Minibus and two lorries in ‘serious collision’ - bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-45827100

It’s beginning to sound like a very serious incident involving several people 3 with life threatening injuries, hope they all end up ok .
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b … e-45827100

It seems an artic ploughed into the rear of the minibus pushing it 50 yards! What is going on these days? Why does this keep happening?

Maybe the driver had a medical problem but very unusual. Thoughts are with the seriously injured.

jakethesnake:
It seems an artic ploughed into the rear of the minibus pushing it 50 yards! What is going on these days? Why does this keep happening?

Maybe the driver had a medical problem but very unusual. Thoughts are with the seriously injured.

I wonder if the truck had AEBS fitted/active?

People have complained about the DAF AEBS being over-sensitive.

GasGas:

jakethesnake:

You really think that may have caused this accident?

No, but if the truck had had it, and it had been active, it might have prevented it.

jakethesnake:

GasGas:

jakethesnake:

You really think that may have caused this accident?

I think Gas Gas’s point was that it may have been avoided if it HAD been fitted. Provided the driver hadn’t turned it off of course! Which if was the case opens up a whole new world of potential hurt for the lorry driver.

Just to add; there is absolutely no basis in fact on what was purely a speculation on my behalf.

Sadly 2 confirmed deaths.

Thames Valley police appealing for witnesses, dash cam footage on Twitter. Don’t do Twitter myself maybe someone could put a link up. Thanks in advance.

RIP & condolences to the families of all involved.

Wiretwister:
Sadly 2 confirmed deaths.

Thames Valley police appealing for witnesses, dash cam footage on Twitter. Don’t do Twitter myself maybe someone could put a link up. Thanks in advance.

RIP & condolences to the families of all involved.

How very sad. I sincerely hope the driver was fully alert and paying attention and it was mechanical or medical.

The pictures on the BBC news site are pretty horrible.
The minibus looks to have been shortened by at least a metre in length at the rear .
Rip to those that have sadly lost their lives and hope the injured have speedy a recovery.
Stay safe out there people .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Pentalver truck and mini bus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very sad indeed, RIP.

That chievely junction, if that is where it happened, is another one of those where lane 1 slows right down to a stop and you have people coming accross from lane 2&3, similar to that bridgewater accident last month.

^^^
Hadn’t noticed these pics are now on the BBC link at top sorry

bristolrob:
Very sad indeed, RIP.

That chievely junction, if that is where it happened, is another one of those where lane 1 slows right down to a stop and you have people coming accross from lane 2&3, similar to that bridgewater accident last month.

The red on white sign, see the pic in the post directly below the original that I’ve quoted, would put it close to the works access slip road about 4 miles from Chievely. Not a bad stretch of road at all & dry clear visibility.

over here on East coast the suns been incredibly ,unnaturally bright for [what seems months now] so bright and typically low in the sky this time of year surely is a factor in many accidents now

over here on East coast the suns been incredibly ,unnaturally bright for [what seems months now] so bright and typically low in the sky this time of year surely is a factor in many accidents now

corij:

Unfortunately the accident occurred at 12.20 when the sun would’ve been well up and to the South.

Wiretwister:

bristolrob:
The red on white sign, see the pic in the post directly below the original that I’ve quoted, would put it close to the works access slip road about 4 miles from Chievely. Not a bad stretch of road at all & dry clear visibility.

Ahh yeah i just seen this picture put up, yeah thats a good few miles from that junction.

bristolrob:
Very sad indeed, RIP.

Hmm your right… alot of the M4 junctions seem to be badly designed. Someone on here a few weeks ago came up with a valid point why not just keep the traffic lights green until the q’s on the slips have shortened.