Serious crash 11/10/18 M4 east 14/13 Newbury long closure

whyohwhy:
Roadworks are by far the worst for tailgating.

I know my car speedo is inaccurate, so I set the cruise to 43 in 40’s or 54 in 50’s and stay in the outside lane, where I can, assuming the insides are full. Even so I’ll pass trucks a couple of feet behind cars who aren’t maxing it through the roadworks.

I’m not sure if it’s just bad driving by the trucks, or the pressure on them from the planners.

Firstly the speed regime should be relaxed through ‘roadworks’ bearing in mind that in most cases workers are seperated from traffic in live lanes even if they are actually there.

As for tailgating that should be enforced along the lines which are currently employed for the anti speed crusade IE cameras and unmarked police patrols.With penalties increased massively along the lines of a mandatory automatic dangerous driving charge.Also think that much of the problem is caused by too many drivers not being able to deal with speed differentials far enough ahead thereby running up too close behind slower traffic before even thinking about making a safe lane change.Let alone just ploughing into slower or stopped traffic.