Unsocial underpaid shift trends

I am a 60’s kid and always have seen weekends as overtime ,Always will do .So when did these any 5 in 7 shifts being thrown around start ? ,No extra pay ,Or four on four off shifts at poor rates no enhanced or at best an extra pound ■■? .I keep getting offered work like this ,When did this trend start ? I always search days mon to fri ,So is this old or new ?
I have never worked a Sunday for less than 1.5 or in a previous trade double time .
What sort of greedy joke is this Country turning into ?
Do people now give up weekends for standard pay rates :unamused:

Started when shops were allowed to open Sundays,the whole country is 24/7 now with Saturday and Sunday seen as a normal working day,albeit Sunday a slightly reduced day hours wise.
When I was driving I preferred working Saturday and having a day off in the week because once rush hour is out the way everywhere was quiet as opposed to Saturday’s where it’s constant busyness…I’d rather get paid to sit in the traffic :smiley:
Never worked a Sunday though in this job.

Beetlejuice:
So when did these any 5 in 7 shifts being thrown around start ? ,No extra pay ,Or four on four off shifts at poor rates no enhanced or at best an extra pound ■■?

Like you…

I’m a 60s kid too. The first real eye opener for me was some 20 years ago. I was tipping a load of melons that I’d driven up from Spain to Spalding on a Sunday. I’d backed onto the bay and went in with my paperwork to a rather unhappy looking bunch of chill-store loaders. I pointed out that ‘we were all on double-bubble for Sunday so why look so glum?’ ‘No we aint mate Sunday is flat rate here’. I went back to my lorry and sat there quite shocked that men were doing Sunday’s for flat rate.

Asda was another reminder that OT rates were vanishing. When I did agency cover at Normanton, all the full time drivers were on a rolling 4 on 4 off rota. If you started on a Friday you did the weekend on flat money.

It’s one of the main reasons I work for the dirtbag agencies. I get double for Sunday, time and half for Saturday and if they’re slammed, I can get cash bonuses for Friday cover and short notice cover.

Sunday opening has a great deal to answer for. With Amazon and the internet, do shops need to open Sundays?

If you’re away from home for weeks it’s meaningless what day you go to prayer. Revolving Starts and Continental Shifts have existed all my lifetime.
I understand if your contract says Monday to Friday and you are doing Sunday to Friday on the same money.

I doubt you qualify for “Dark Money”

Beetlejuice:
I am a 60’s kid and always have seen weekends as overtime ,Always will do .So when did these any 5 in 7 shifts being thrown around start ? ,No extra pay ,Or four on four off shifts at poor rates no enhanced or at best an extra pound ■■? .I keep getting offered work like this ,When did this trend start ? I always search days mon to fri ,So is this old or new ?
I have never worked a Sunday for less than 1.5 or in a previous trade double time .

Yeah. I know what you mean. I’ve worked for Wiseman/Muller Dairies for 16 years. Double time Sundays, triple time bank holidays, 1.5 after 8hrs everything else.
Looking at moving to Hoyer on the fuel. Great hourly rate at £18.26 but that’s it. Weekends, bank holidays, overtime. All the same rate. Where’s the incentive!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Years ago, It was common practice that you worked Saturday morning as standard (that’s why football matches kicked off at 3.00pm)
Also the guys going abroad would often set off on Sunday.

My take is, more people are single today so no family etc. A Sunday is no different than a Wednesday. I still wouldn’t do a weekend for a normal rate (as a driver) but on my previous warehousing job (for one of the world’s largest logistics company) there was no such thing as sunday pay. Sometimes they paid overtime at 150% but as soon as enough people signed up for overtime, they’d dial it back to 100% (the usual payrate).

I hear there was a time as well where breaks used to be paid but it’s now long gone…The price of progress :slight_smile:

Most proper companies, especially where the staff are unionised have negotiated pay rates where the premium rates are included.

ie the £18 odd an hour across the board at Hoyer mentioned, does anyone seriously think that rate would be just for mon to fri daytime working hours? and saturdays would be x 1.5, sundays x 2 and bank hols @ £36.50 an hour plus a day in lieu? get real, its blindingly obvious to anyone that a rate like that would be across the board.

Would people rather be on £10 an hour basic but get x 1.5 for anything over 8 hours, x 1.5 on a saturday and x 2 on a sunday, giving you the magical £20 an hour 1 day a week , which is less than £2 over the standard rate anyway.

paulant18:

Beetlejuice:

Yeah. I know what you mean. I’ve worked for Wiseman/Muller Dairies for 16 years. Double time Sundays, triple time bank holidays, 1.5 after 8hrs everything else.
Looking at moving to Hoyer on the fuel. Great hourly rate at £18.26 but that’s it. Weekends, bank holidays, overtime. All the same rate. Where’s the incentive!!

And see where your rate is once you have hit a bit of traffic with Hoyer

I’ve been working 4 on 4 off jobs for the last 4 years and relative to my weekly hours worked (averages about 42 per 7 day week across the year), it’s by far the best pay I’ve known for this kind of work/life balance. I feel I get so much time off, and for me that offsets having to work some weekends,which I use holiday for anyway. I’m single with no family though, so perhaps that’s why I have a positive attitude towards 4 on 4 off.

I agree with any 5 from 7 though, that’s just crap.

chester1:

paulant18:

Beetlejuice:

And see where your rate is once you have hit a bit of traffic

What do you mean?

Personally I go for a high basic as overtime and bonus money can always be taken away, basic is money in the bag

paulant18:

chester1:

paulant18:

Beetlejuice:

What do you mean?

Hoyer deduct the 1st hour of delays

chester1:

paulant18:

chester1:

paulant18:

Beetlejuice:

What do you mean?

Oh, I see, that’s been reduced to 15min now.
I’ve got a driving assessment tomorrow but I’m undecided whether it’s a good move.
I actually have a good job at Muller!

I once did some work for a security company and was asked to do some static work over the week ends and bank holidays to enable the computer geeks to install and test some new systems .
The agreement was that security would be on the same rates as the computer guys for the extra days. We were on 12hr shifts normally and any extra days were minimum of 12 hrs paid .
SAT was x 11/2 until midday , x2 for sat pm .
X2 for Sunday and X4 for bank holidays plus 2 days holiday . Back in the early 80s the computer guys were on £17-50 an hour compared to us security drivers or guards on £4 ph .
I had several jobs in the past that were guaranteed min 8hrs or 10hrs on overtime .
Something that has disappeared at most places these days .
I worked for Bosch UK for a while that did the guaranteed hrs of overtime which we did on Saturdays every week and one Sunday each month . These hours covered our tax and insurance deductions each month . We actually worked a max of 15 hrs overtime each month on weekends but got paid for 40hrs .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Juddian:
Most proper companies, especially where the staff are unionised have negotiated pay rates where the premium rates are included.

ie the £18 odd an hour across the board at Hoyer mentioned, does anyone seriously think that rate would be just for mon to fri daytime working hours? and saturdays would be x 1.5, sundays x 2 and bank hols @ £36.50 an hour plus a day in lieu? get real, its blindingly obvious to anyone that a rate like that would be across the board.

Would people rather be on £10 an hour basic but get x 1.5 for anything over 8 hours, x 1.5 on a saturday and x 2 on a sunday, giving you the magical £20 an hour 1 day a week , which is less than £2 over the standard rate anyway.

Tbh you saved me typing out pretty much exactly what I was going to write.

toonsy:

Juddian:

Tbh you saved me typing out pretty much exactly what I was going to write.

Yeah, fair comment I suppose. Don’t forget though, I would say a vast majority of workers are still 9-5 Monday to Friday.

The retail and supplier industry work the most ■■■■ hours for not great money. We keep this country turning for little or no thanks, so no matter what the hourly rate is you would like to think it deserves premium rates for unsocial hours.

chester1:

They do what now? Sod that. I’m paid from when I start to when I finish regardless of any delays and never in a quarter of a century of truck driving have I ever had that nonsense.

Conor:

chester1:

They do what now? Sod that. I’m paid from when I start to when I finish regardless of any delays and never in a quarter of a century of truck driving have I ever had that nonsense.

Had an interview there last week, they deduct the first 15 mins, still a bit of a joke really, -45 Min for break so an hour a day deducted at £18ph or £90 a week or £360 a month!
Quite a saving they’re making at our expense!!

^^^^^ I agree that it seems to be a bit of a ■■■■ take, but as it’s hourly paid as opposed to salary it really is quite simple to get that hour back during a working day. Yes it will increase the length of your day but you go to work for money, not glory.

As an aside I constantly struggle to understand the thinking that lies behind greedy bosses who constantly chip away at drivers wages; snatching back an hour here or there or knocking an pound or two off. Does it not enter their heads that most of us are smart enough to claw it back from them another way?