Maximum number of days on call in a 28 day period?

My employer has us on call for 7days then 5 then 7 then 5 giving us 4 days off in a 28 monthly cycle.

Tacho permitting they use us for most of those days, day or night and it’s bloody exhausting, let alone rarely getting time to plan anything with the family.

Surely this goes against regs somewhere?

I feel like I’m tied to my phone and the days that I don’t get called are just as tiring as not getting called because you end up sitting around doing nothing.

Short of changing jobs, any advice?

Cheers.

Warchilo:
My employer has us on call for 7days then 5 then 7 then 5 giving us 4 days off in a 28 monthly cycle.

Tacho permitting they use us for most of those days, day or night and it’s bloody exhausting, let alone rarely getting time to plan anything with the family.

I feel like I’m tied to my phone and the days that I don’t get called are just as tiring as not getting called because you end up sitting around doing nothing.

Cheers.

Is this recovery?

They burn you out then blow you off. So easy to replace these days.

Not knowing what your job is,the bit I would be concerned with is being paid whilst your on call.
Effectively your time is not yours to do as you please,as you have mentioned using a tacho,4 days off in 28 seems a bit iffy to say the least

Dork Lard:

Warchilo:

Cheers.

Is this recovery?

They burn you out then blow you off. So easy to replace these days.

Not quite recovery, we get called in to other companies when something goes wrong - driver doesn’t turn up, vehicle breaks down etc.

Warchilo:
Not quite recovery, we get called in to other companies when something goes wrong - driver doesn’t turn up, vehicle breaks down etc.

Aaah ! So you’re on agency then.

Sorry, my bad. Thought it was a genuine post.

Presumably you’re operating under EU regs?

So long as you’re getting the required daily and weekly rest periods, then I’d say it’s legal, what you’re getting paid for is irrelevant

It sounds very much from that excerpt like either the OP is free to pick and choose which jobs they go to whilst “on call”, or otherwise is on duty for the purposes of hours regs and should be recording all waited time as POA!