Texting doesn’t count as using a mobile phone

twitter.com/merpoltraffic/statu … 98048?s=21

For those who don’t do Twitter, some plant pot tipper driver got caught texting & driving and took the matter to court because he didn’t think it counted as using your phone.

It ended up costing him an extra £525 and all the hassle.

RDC waiting room gossip perhaps? What a tool :laughing:

The tweet says he was reading a text but presumably he must have been holding the phone, a worthy winner of the title of belend of the week imo :smiley:

Even just holding a mobile phone and swiping the unlock screen to open the phone is counted as using your phone.

Does having the mobile sat on the steering wheel while you txt count?
Coz I’ve just past a greenie less than 100yds out of the yard near my home, with the phone atop the steering wheel jabbing at his phone with 1 finger like a demented woodpecker. The irony is that the local cop shop is next door to their yard :unamused:

peirre:
Does having the mobile sat on the steering wheel while you txt count?
Coz I’ve just past a greenie less than 100yds out of the yard near my home, with the phone atop the steering wheel jabbing at his phone with 1 finger like a demented woodpecker. The irony is that the local cop shop is next door to their yard :unamused:

Yes it does count.

If you touch it your using it, according to the local plod. Used to keep mine in my pocket out of temptations way.

Any driver caught texting while driving deserves all they get and more.Far harsher penalties needed to deter these potential killers.

It is a shame that the law has attempted to classify “eating a choc bar” or “drinking from a can of coke” or “twiddling with the radio” as “distracting as looking at one’s mobile” as well.

I’d argue there is NO comparison. Did we get multiple casualties three decades ago - from people doing those first three things, but before everyone had a mobile■■? :neutral_face:

no doubt there were multiple accidents caused by the above,but we didnt hear about it due to the lack of media information and also before the time when every lemming and scatterbrained wifey had faceache to become addicted to on their smartphone.
its wildly difficult to even just txt a message on a smartphone nowadays compared to battering away on the old type when your driving.

Ironically, the new Actros has what is to all intents a giant smartphone in place of a dashboard. The bonus is that it will steer and brake itself while you are scrolling through the options trying to change stations on the radio and calm the air-con down a bit.

So, if you kill anyone, you can blame the truck!

According to the cop who “caught” me, moving it from your dashboard to the centre console is enough for a three digit fine and three points

The-Snowman:
According to the cop who “caught” me, moving it from your dashboard to the centre console is enough for a three digit fine and three points

Yes. You cannot hold it. Not even briefly. The law cannot be any clearer.

I keep my phone buried in my bag when I’m driving, with it switched off so it doesn’t so much as tinkle from incoming texts, all of which can be a distraction otherwise. :grimacing:

I don’t believe in “hands-free”. If the thing goes off - you’re glancing over, and yes - you are distracted!

I put my fone in the centre storage compartment in my car (don’t drive trucks any more) and everything on it can be voice activated via the ‘Command’ screen thingy, so while talking and looking at the screen and doing all the normal things you would do on your fone by hand theoretically I am breaking no laws, or ones that would be difficult to prove I think … but could be wrong !!

Winseer:
I don’t believe in “hands-free”. If the thing goes off - you’re glancing over, and yes - you are distracted!

So for your entire 9 hours driving you never ‘glance over’ at anything eh?
Your eyes are totally fixed ahead like a programmed robot and never distracted …with presumably your nose touching the windscreen (and wearing a hi viz for good measure. :smiley: )
Do you suffer from severe stress at all?
:unamused:

I don’t use my mobile phone while driving.

I do eat while driving
I sometimes drink coffee/cola/water while driving
I’ve had chewing gum while driving.
I’ve done many things in fact while driving.

I tend to agree that you shouldn’t use your phone while driving but people do need to get off of their high horse with it.

adam277:
I don’t use my mobile phone while driving.

I do eat while driving
I sometimes drink coffee/cola/water while driving
I’ve had chewing gum while driving.
I’ve done many things in fact while driving.

I tend to agree that you shouldn’t use your phone while driving but people do need to get off of their high horse with it.

Exactly !
Texting is an absolute no no.
Holding a phone is illegal,… but in reality not as bad as they are ramming home the point about it.
Can’t see anything wrong with hands free, and all this dog ■■■■ about doing you if you pick up your phone to move it or something equally as ridiculous, is just another example of the good old UK’s method of capitalising to the maximum on something again. :unamused:

Does this just apply to mobile phones? I.e. if I pick it up to move it I can be done, if caught?

What about satnavs then?
Satnav is on the bottom right of windscreen, I’m hammering along an empty dual carriageway (No, it’s true) in my huge 44 tonne (7.5 t mini wagon :smiley:) And satnav says there’s traffic ahead and do I want avoid it?
I have the option now of tapping the screen to either A: carry on regardless or B: accept the route change.
Is that a fine, if caught?

RoadsRat:

The-Snowman:

Yes. You cannot hold it. Not even briefly. The law cannot be any clearer.

I should have clarified I was stationary at the time, in neautral with the hand brake on.
Even if the law is “clear” regarding touching it, you dont think a bit of common sense should have prevailed?
You cant use your phone because its unsafe. Fair enough. But I moved it to stop it sliding off the dash. A bit of common sense would have seen this was done for an arguably bigger safety reason ie, stopping it sliding off the dash and under one of the pedals on the motorway.

RoadsRat:

The-Snowman:

Yes. You cannot hold it. Not even briefly. The law cannot be any more ridiculous than that.

FTFY :unamused: