Fatality at Immingham Docks Accident Monday 24th September

Very sad news for everybody involved.

RIP to the driver.

Yesterday Emergency Services were called to the Immingham Docks at 6:34 a.m. to a severe industrial accident.

Apparently it happened on the Riverside Terminal, a Terminal for Ferry trailers.

The info I gathered so far (still to be confirmed):

• the local haulier is an international Company which operates Frigde Trailers (won’t say any names till it’s been confirmed). Obviously has a depot in the area.
  • it seems to be that a shunter/tug was involved. Also thats only local gossip.

Therefore TNUK CSI can take over.

I know there was a fatal accident at Immingham Transport a few years but thats another story.

Like I said very sad for everyone who was involved.

Paul Baker RIP, he is a member of another group I’m in …

It’s an awful place to be working in the half light and yesterday morning was icy on windows and mirrors. RIP Driver, it’s a sad day with so many movements of trailers

^^^ Spot on that.

Poor bugger. :frowning:

I imagine that once an investigation has been completed dfds will have a rule of no drivers allowed on trailers for any reason, apart from maybe in a couple of selected designated areas. RIP.

The place is shocking and you have to keep your wits about you.

Only a couple of weeks ago I was dropping a trailer there, went to wind the legs down when I hear a beep-beep. Didn’t think much of it, you hear it all the time on there and continued winding. I hear it again, turn round to see the back of a trailer about 10ft away from me with reverse lights and hazards on attempting to back into the empty bay next to me where I was stood winding the legs. Driver was giving me gob telling me to ‘get out the effin’ way’. It beggars belief.

RIP Drive

DickyNick:
I imagine that once an investigation has been completed dfds will have a rule of no drivers allowed on trailers for any reason, apart from maybe in a couple of selected designated areas. RIP.

It’s not about drivers being on trailers, it’s about dropping and picking up trailers in a very congested area, shops have to be unloaded quickly and drivers have to get down the road quickly

Donbar:

Only a couple of weeks ago I was dropping a trailer there, went to wind the legs down when I hear a beep-beep. Didn’t think much of it, you hear it all the time on there and continued winding. I hear it again, turn round to see the back of a trailer about 10ft away from me with reverse lights and hazards on attempting to back into the empty bay next to me where I was stood winding the legs. Driver was giving me gob telling me to ‘get out the effin’ way’. It beggars belief.

RIP Drive

I wouldn’t have give you any gob for it but it does seem bad form not to make way for a driver who is trying to get in next to you, if things are sufficiently tight that your being there is an issue.

I don’t as a rule stand alongside the wagon when other drivers are maneouvering at all (unless the gap between each is say wide enough to open the back doors inside the bay), and you can hardly expect a fella to sit with his wagon full length across the yard waiting to back in while you faff with the legs and suzies. That just seems to me the natural order of things.

The fact that you didn’t even see a beeping and flashing wagon coming at you until it was 10ft away shows that indeed your wits weren’t about you at the time.

If I got unexpectedly cornered in a narrow bay where I couldn’t go around the back of the wagon and couldn’t catch the drivers eye to let me out, I’d certainly stop what I was doing and potentially be ready to go underneath the wagon to move away.

Rjan:

Donbar:

RIP Drive

I wouldn’t have give you any gob for it but it does seem bad form not to make way for a driver who is trying to get in next to you, if things are sufficiently tight that your being there is an issue.

I don’t as a rule stand alongside the wagon when other drivers are maneouvering at all (unless the gap between each is say wide enough to open the back doors inside the bay), and you can hardly expect a fella to sit with his wagon full length across the yard waiting to back in while you faff with the legs and suzies. That just seems to me the natural order of things.

The fact that you didn’t even see a beeping and flashing wagon coming at you until it was 10ft away shows that indeed your wits weren’t about you at the time.

If I got unexpectedly cornered in a narrow bay where I couldn’t go around the back of the wagon and couldn’t catch the drivers eye to let me out, I’d certainly stop what I was doing and potentially be ready to go underneath the wagon to move away.

Common sense and good manners would say to me, if some is already working in the space next to where I’m going into,I will wait until they are finished winding the legs down. If I’m the one in the winding space and they see me and still keep coming I scarper quick!! they should know better.

Wheel Nut:

DickyNick:

It’s not about drivers being on trailers, it’s about dropping and picking up trailers in a very congested area, shops have to be unloaded quickly and drivers have to get down the road quickly

If the driver wasn’t stood on the trailer would he be alive now? If the answer to that is yes then a rule will be brought in. The majority of H&S rules are there because someone has died or been very seriously hurt. If it’s absolutely essential for drivers to get on trailers then they will make it only allowable in designated areas.

kevmac47:

Rjan:

Donbar:

RIP Drive

Common sense and good manners would say to me, if some is already working in the space next to where I’m going into,I will wait until they are finished winding the legs down. If I’m the one in the winding space and they see me and still keep coming I scarper quick!! they should know better.

That’s my thoughts too, if a person is in a space I’ll wait for him to do his thing before backing or pulling in. Common courtesy is sadly lacking in today’s world.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Riverside Terminal
Imagine that at 6am in damp weather.

I’m not sure what the chap means by “being on a trailer”

Just to set the record straight the accident happened at Dockside terminal where the trailers are backed on back door to back door. At Riverside they are reversed on in a herringbone fashion.
I have a feeling that some changes will be made at Dockside to mirror the pattern at Riverside.

tezza:
Just to set the record straight the accident happened at Dockside terminal where the trailers are backed on back door to back door. At Riverside they are reversed on in a herringbone fashion.
I have a feeling that some changes will be made at Dockside to mirror the pattern at Riverside.

Good Update.

I only ever loaded containers from Dockside but the trailers are very close together around the fence.

Example how it could have happened:

The Victim Driver does his walk around checks

he than checks the back of the trailer or puts the number plate on etc.
a shunter OR a another haulier saw an empty space > early in the morning, not the best visibility > backs in > our victim is now trapped between 2 trailers and suffers life threatening injuries.

I don’t know where the it says the Driver was on his trailer, I read it like “he was on the back of his trailer” > meaning he stood at the rear of the trailer.

I know that at they tell you the exact space HST/Cobelfret in Killinghome, where a returned trailer has to go > so if a Driver does his checks etc. in the space next to your designated parking space

• you either get another space in the same lane or (The buggers there are never happy if you park it a few, like 4-5 spaces, up or down the lane)
  • or you just wait (but some of these ferry trailers outfits or mainly the hauliers subbing for them think it’s like a pit stop in a F1 race > i.e you need a shunt to get the trailer in etc. while they already trying to get out infront of your truck)

While at Riverside you get told a lane but choose whereever there is a space and let them know the exact space when going out.

kevmac47:

Rjan:

I agree I’d never hurry someone along or try and barge them out the way if I could see them.

It’s a bit of a difficult situation - I suppose the way I’m parsing what’s been said is that it’s possible neither person saw the other in advance, or else the driver backing in did see him but then lost sight (perfectly possible unless you come into a narrow bay straight as an arrow) and assumed that moving slowly he’d given the OP enough time to finish winding and clear out around the back.

And then at the last second the driver backing in has finally seen the OP at the back of the trailer and has thought “what the hell?” and shouted in surprise.

Or perhaps I’m giving the other driver too much benefit of the doubt. :laughing:

I’m wondering how many lives could be saved across the transport industry - if all persons performing the potentially dangerous manuevers were “hourly paid” rather than “job and knock”…

“Rush Rush Rush” - must be killing dozens among our number - every year. :bulb:

RIP Driver. :frowning:

One poster said Riverside, another said Dockside, either way it’s a tragic loss, the system will be changed for a while but it sounds much the same now as it did 42 years ago,

Winseer:
I’m wondering how many lives could be saved across the transport industry - if all persons performing the potentially dangerous manuevers were “hourly paid” rather than “job and knock”…

“Rush Rush Rush” - must be killing dozens among our number - every year. :bulb:

RIP Driver. :frowning:

Totally agree. Job and knock causes human nature to rush rush rush and cut corners to get the job done to get home. Hourly pay does the opposite.

I took he was on the back of his trailer to mean actually on the deck? Does it mean just at the back of the trailer on the ground?