Technology

Have been watching the new ad for the FIAT 500 X with it’s sig recognition ,and no doubt it will come to trucks and it time the truck will drop your speed to 30 etc as more and more technology is integrated and the human is not trusted …

But anyway I got me thinking ,could this technology in a car be like a hidden tacho…■■? So you have an crash in your car ,will the authorities be able to see if you ignored it’s sign recognition ? Instead of the overhead gantrys saying take a break …When doing long journeys in the car ,will the car after a period of time ,and knowing wether it is daytime or nighttime tell you to take a break and for how long ■■?Then if you ignore it and have an accident (no not ■■■■■■■ yourself) can the authorities use the technology against you ■■? With the like of predictive cruise control that reads the road via GPS will your car ell you to pull in to the next services and if you don’t will it then gradually reduce power till you pull over on to the hard shoulder and no doubt be fined if caught for ignoring your car /truck…

Car wise i enjoyed changing points condensor ,spark plugs and a good old decoke …All services held points etc and you could generally always get her going ,and it was cheap …Youngsters look puzzeled in the workshop when we olds start talking about points and carbs etc lol

I think it’s a hidden tacho and much more. Consider the flutes who bought and paid for a recording device to be placed in their homes and were then OUTRAGED to find it had been recording them :laughing:

Was a big thing about it in the news a few months ago. These are the same morons who think that their car will only report its position and call for help autonomously in the event of a crash. Perhaps that’s all it does - for now.

But it’s there to help me and watch out for me, they cry. No, it isn’t. It’s there to help people monitor you and watch you. Once you accept the thin end of the wedge, it’s a short way to driving the rest in.

with todays technology ,if your company can track you ,the manufacturer can alert the dealers of faults ( it is there but not used) then surely law enforcement will have access…yes there will be people who can bypass any system at a cost …Being in a dealership I have my tacho update for the new system next year …I have a nextbase camera but I have disabled certain parameters ,I don’t want to be a witness then get done for (example ) speeding …not that I do

Part of what you say is already available of a sort on the Ford Transit Connect, no doubt other vehicles will have it, Intelligent Speed Assist.

The New Transit Connect now comes with Intelligent Speed Assist, designed to enhance your speed control and enabling you to concentrate on the road. First, the Traffic Sign Recognition camera automatically detects the current speed limit (when activated), then the system adjusts your maximum speed setting to that limit. (option)

ford.co.uk/vans-and-pickups … oIQAvD_BwE

It’s been there for years, your ECU register your speed, how hard you braked, what gear etc.
Nothing new there, seen it been used in an accident investigation with the than new FH12 series one. (1994)
The driver claimed that he had braked but the brakes didn’t work, the ECU proofed that the speed went down from 85 km/h to 5 km/h in less than 1 second, with no activation of the brake pedal.
It’s used in car, it’s not always recognised with the courts (matter of time) but certainly is.
You need to go back to proper cars with points and carburettors to avoid this.

However if this worries you, or the New tachograph with GPS, than throw your mobile phone away, there is GPS in them, and also they can calculate how quick you move between the masts.

It’s all there, and it has been for a long time, and it’s here to stay.

Not seen the advert so maybe I’ve missed the point.

Why bother with sign recognition, a set nav has all the speed limits preprogrammed Into it. My lorry even shouts at me if I exceed the speed limit and then tells me what it is. The only exception is the smart motorways of course.

Washwipe:
Part of what you say is already available of a sort on the Ford Transit Connect, no doubt other vehicles will have it, Intelligent Speed Assist.

The New Transit Connect now comes with Intelligent Speed Assist, designed to enhance your speed control and enabling you to concentrate on the road. First, the Traffic Sign Recognition camera automatically detects the current speed limit (when activated), then the system adjusts your maximum speed setting to that limit. (option)

ford.co.uk/vans-and-pickups … oIQAvD_BwE

Thanks for that snippet ,i did not know that

Sign recognition? I don’t know where to start with the vast amounts of stupid that smothers seemingly every new vehicle…

Oh, speaking of car adverts… The one with the two women and one going into labour has made me never want to buy a Vauxhall (not that I would anyway). “We’re going at 30, I’ve got this”… Are we in America?! No! Talk proper, like what we does FFS!

Never watch live telly, in fact the telly was switched on today for the first time in 6 months cos family came round and they put some cartoons on for the nippers, i’ve forgotten how to work the thing.

However, this intrusive tech stuff is now beyond the pale, but it’s going to get a hell of a lot worse.
My goodly wife, who has a habit of being right about too much stuff, has predicted for years that they’ll be putting chips in babies heads before too long (and switching the buggers off again some 60 years later when of no further use) , all in the name of anti terrorism or some such ■■■■■■■■, when low and behold i saw an article where some half wits voluntarily had chips inserted into their arms to help with access etc at the futuristic version of hell they worked at in some Scandinavian dump, a country where presumably they can’t commit virtual suicide quickly enough :unamused:

Humans are a weird bunch, think themselves intelligent beings but quite prepared to open their very souls, for those who should never be allowed such power to watch and monitor them.
You only have to hear what the idiots are prepared to tell about themselves on Facepalm, bloody fools.

Juddian:
Never watch live telly, in fact the telly was switched on today for the first time in 6 months cos family came round and they put some cartoons on for the nippers, i’ve forgotten how to work the thing.

However, this intrusive tech stuff is now beyond the pale, but it’s going to get a hell of a lot worse.
My goodly wife, who has a habit of being right about too much stuff, has predicted for years that they’ll be putting chips in babies heads before too long (and switching the buggers off again some 60 years later when of no further use) , all in the name of anti terrorism or some such ■■■■■■■■, when low and behold i saw an article where some half wits voluntarily had chips inserted into their arms to help with access etc at the futuristic version of hell they worked at in some Scandinavian dump, a country where presumably they can’t commit virtual suicide quickly enough :unamused:

Humans are a weird bunch, think themselves intelligent beings but quite prepared to open their very souls, for those who should never be allowed such power to watch and monitor them.
You only have to hear what the idiots are prepared to tell about themselves on Facepalm, bloody fools.

Bloody well said, hear hear!

Juddian:

Late night five live tech phone in has a guy called fevzi, he has a saying. If the product is free, then you’re the product.

Humans are indeed weird. I was watching details of that ferry that sank with over 100 drowned. They say there were over 300 on a boat with a capacity for 100.

The last person on, took a look at that old ferry, heaving with goods and people, but still thought [zb] it and got on anyway.

My E-Class will register a change in a roads speed limit via reading the signs rather than relying on a database. It can see roadwork signs as well, if you have the automated cruise control pack then it will adjust the speed accordingly. It also has sensors, again an option that monitor your eye movements and will alert you to take a break if the system deems that you’re losing concentration.

We’re slowly being turned.into robots unable to think for ourselves.

Driving along
Cars automatic so don’t have to worry about changing gears

My head lights come on automatic so dont have worry

windscreen wipers automatic dont have to worry about that

Has auto braking etc so don’t have to stop or look for pedestrians as little.box of tricks will apply the brakes stop me crashing/ running anyone over

Recognise speed limits slows me down so no need worry how fast am.going.

And once I arrive at my destination doing as little as possible my car even parks itself one less thing to worry about.

All.good now say it blows a fuse stops.working how do I turn head lights on how do I park please someone help.me and how do.i know.how fast I going as cars not slowing down like it should do

I was talking to a development engineer from a vehicle manufacturer couple weeks ago, the technology to automatically restrict a vehicles maximum speed to a speed limit and slow a vehicle down to that limit in a geographical area is simple compared to some of the technology that’s already out there… However there isn’t the willingness from the authorities to introduce such measures

Rikki-UK:
I was talking to a development engineer from a vehicle manufacturer couple weeks ago, the technology to automatically restrict a vehicles maximum speed to a speed limit and slow a vehicle down to that limit in a geographical area is simple compared to some of the technology that’s already out there… However there isn’t the willingness from the authorities to introduce such measures

Hang on Rikki, are you saying the authorities are happy for people to risk exceeding the speed limit despite the technology needed to prevent that happening being available? Why on earth would that be?

KERCHING!

The loss of a major source of income being the main issue I suspect.

Nite Owl:

Rikki-UK:

Hang on Rikki, are you saying the authorities are happy for people to risk exceeding the speed limit despite the technology needed to prevent that happening being available? Why on earth would that be?

KERCHING!

Guys, sorry to jump in, there was something in the news related to this, as to who has culpability if the ai, or the machine. Screws up. That could be the reason it’s been held back.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

The machines are getting smarter because we are getting dumber. Homo Sapien walks with canine ,canine takes a dump, its Homo Sapien"s place and duty to clean up. Who is the smart one?