Doing Daily Checks Unpaid

Company im working for just now is running trunks to Manchester. Its not a bad gig. 1800 start, finished by half 4ish if the trailers are ready when we get down there.
Recently though, a guy has started who comes in at half 5 “to do his checks” as he likes to “check out the motor in case of any issues”. There rarely is and he’s off down the 74 by quarter to 6.
What’s the general consensus?
Me personally, my start time is 1800 so ill be in the transport office at 1800 to get the keys etc. If there’s any issues then they get brought up when I get to the motor and start doing my checks at that time and fixed when I’m on the clock, not in my own time just so I can be driving by 6.
This particular guy also takes a 15 on the way down and then sticks it on break as soon as the kingpin is locked on the trailer he’s bringing back up the road. He hooks up on break, sits till 31 mins then hammers back and gets finished by half 3 (or thereabouts)
Now if he wants to do himself out of hours, work unpaid and hook up through his break then that’s up to him but I’m just wondering if it’s me being awkward by refusing to start any earlier and work unpaid or if its common?

*This isn’t a moan, whinge or thinly veiled attempt at having a go at someone. I’m genuinely curious if many people do his version or mine? Ive seen drivers do checks etc before their start time but this is the first time ive seen someone who makes it habit (It’ll soon become a moan though if the bosses clock how they’re saving money on his agency wages and start expecting the rest of us to follow suit. Its a good paying gig for good hours and I don’t want to have to give it up)

My mates on local groupage.
he cant rest till no matter how many drops he gets are done,usually between 18 and 25 in an artic.
if he tips early,then theres collections for him though he could still do a good days work and start and finish easier.but he comes in an hour early to check things out,and make sure the loads not all back to front…he cant hel himself,its just the way he is.
when he is on holidays,its do the garden and paint the house…he aint a firms man,just a normal dude that cant be at peace.

The-Snowman:
…I’m just wondering if it’s me being awkward by refusing to start any earlier and work unpaid or if its common?..

Start as early as you need to. that’s what I do. My start time is supposed to be 0700, mostly It’ll be 0645, but if I get a guff run from our minimum wage-EE planner it’s 0630. Whatever time I start goes on the time sheet, bust.

The-Snowman:
This particular guy also takes a 15 on the way down and then sticks it on break as soon as the kingpin is locked on the trailer he’s bringing back up the road. He hooks up on break, sits till 31 mins then hammers back and gets finished by half 3 (or thereabouts)
Now if he wants to do himself out of hours, work unpaid and hook up through his break then that’s up to him but I’m just wondering if it’s me being awkward by refusing to start any earlier and work unpaid or if its common?

It’s not particularly common in my experience for guys to do work off the clock. It’s certainly not awkward to record the times actually worked, and to start work at the booked time.

I can imagine some guys on nightshifts end up wired and don’t really want to stop and relax (lest they did and started wanting to sleep), and want to get the job done. If they diddle themselves out of money for it, fair enough, but it doesn’t mean other guys should be expected to follow suit.

It would be foolish of a manager to assume that one person’s habits or mentality, one person’s unforced choices, reflected a general willingness amongst the workforce to be ordered to work time for free.

I can tell you now, in the 2 exceptional cases where I encountered it in the past, it caused an immediate resentment on starting the job, and the need to consciously calculate an adjustment from the booked time to get the real start time (rather than the bosses simply building the margin into the booked time stated to me) refreshed that resentment every single day.

There’s a problem…

With the legality of doing this. If he’s doing the checks for 30 minutes at 05.30 and then putting the card in at 06.00 he’s blatantly falsifying the drivers hours record of his working day.

Oh and he’s a moron for working un-paid.

If my shift starts at 05:00 and I happen to arrive at 0445-0450, the card doesn’t go in until 0500, but I might occasionally if I have a very long run ie a scotch load and I know I’ll make Abington for a break on 4:15, spend 5 mins before putting the card in at 0500 running around the yard finding the trailer or putting fuel in, but at 0500 if I’ve found my trailer and backed under it, the card goes in and set on other work for 15 mins before I start the process of connecting up the suzies, strapping down, do paperwork, stick my pratnav in the screen etc and doing my checks while getting paid, only if the load isn’t ready would I put the card in, check the unit, do paperwork, stick my pratnav in the screen etc

Being salaried i’m paid anyway as such though the less hours i do the more i get paid per hour as it were, though it would be a unusual week to go over 50 hours work let alone going over 60.

I usually come in half an hour before the given start time for several reasons, card goes in whatever and manual entries correct because we run spot on legit.

1. if the vehicle has been used by someone else it’s highly likely it hasn’t been washed, i don’t go out in a filthy vehicle, keep and leave my kit clean for the next user, others arn’t as particular but it’s no good jumping up and down or make a scene about it because many drivers now don’t get the idea of taking pride in your work, and never will…but they’re always happy to use your kit in preference because they its clean and all the kit is lubed and works well.
    Very seldom does anything need fixing, our kit is top notch and due to the type of bodywork and expense of repair (there’s no hiding it) damage is minimal, so its usually an easy pre check and kit check, washdown and go.

2. i know how long any of our journeys take, where the jams are likely, and like to have a bit of time in hand, because everywhere you go now the soddin motorways are dug up whilst they try desperately to make the roads more dangerous with un-smart motorway construction, if the traffic isn’t bad then i have more time in hand and always have time for a 15 min break on the way regardless, this subject to alteration if i know there’s no works canteen at the destination, but part of the reason for the 15 is so i don’t get caught out by the 6 hour rule, which is just too easy.
    Hate rushing about, having no delay time built in, and flatly refuse to do so.

3. having made the vehicle good before i started work, it takes seconds to blow if over if necessary after shift finished ( good steam cleaner facilities), so thats a half hour earlier finish than otherwise.

It takes all sorts, there’s no right and wrong way of working, i wouldn’t expect anyone else to follow my example no more than i’d follow theirs, but it would go against the grain not to be paid for hours on the job if i was on the clock.

The-Snowman:

(It’ll soon become a moan though if the bosses clock how they’re saving money on his agency wages and start expecting the rest of us to follow suit. Its a good paying gig for good hours and I don’t want to have to give it up)

We have a clown at our place who runs Mon at 0005 am at normal rate, when he could run Sunday at premium rate + his night out instead. :unamused: (he’s out all week anyway btw)
The lads who like doing Sundays are knocked back in favour of him …for obvious reasons. :unamused:

My mate who works for a wood recycling walking floor outfit is on salary, they have idiots who run Sundays up to 9 hours for no extra money :open_mouth: because wait for it…‘They like to be first in the queue’ :unamused: :laughing:

The mentality and logic of these knobs baffle me, and they are usually the types who carve up, and ■■■■ up the job for everybody else, …most of them are heart attack material anyway so I don’t bother my arse with them.

I would do your job in the same way as yourself, and just view your mate with a shake of my head in contempt.

I run the job to suit me.

Sometimes coming in half an hour early means I miss the traffic jams getting out of town or get to the delivery before the other truck which can cut my night shift down by an hour. Useful if I have stuff to do the next day.

Other times I’m by the book. Start and finish on the dot and whatever will be will be.

I work to live not work to die, the job is an inconvenience but one that i can control.

robroy:

The-Snowman:

(It’ll soon become a moan though if the bosses clock how they’re saving money on his agency wages and start expecting the rest of us to follow suit. Its a good paying gig for good hours and I don’t want to have to give it up)

We have a clown at our place who runs Mon at 0005 am at normal rate, when he could run Sunday at premium rate + his night out instead. :unamused: (he’s out all week anyway btw)
The lads who like doing Sundays are knocked back in favour of him …for obvious reasons. :unamused:

My mate who works for a wood recycling walking floor outfit is on salary, they have idiots who run Sundays up to 9 hours for no extra money :open_mouth: because wait for it…‘They like to be first in the queue’ :unamused: :laughing: WTF! :open_mouth:

The mentality and logic of these knobs baffle me, and they are usually the types who carve up, and [zb] up the job for everybody else, …most of them are heart attack material anyway so I don’t bother my arse with them.

I would do your job in the same way as yourself, and just view your mate with a shake of my head in contempt.

I’m wiping the tea which I spat out off my monitor with one hand as I type this with the other when I read what your mate said :open_mouth:

I paid by the hour and proper OT at time and half on weekdays Sunday is double bubble so I would not work unpaid on a Sunday

peirre:
If my shift starts at 05:00 and I happen to arrive at 0445-0450, the card doesn’t go in until 0500

I pretty much always arrive 15 minutes early but in your case I’d do a manual entry to cover the 0445-0500 because I’ll be in the traffic office getting the keys etc. If you go straight to the coffee machine and burn the 15 minutes having a brew and a chat, that’s a different matter.

I work with a guy who comes in 30-40 mins before his start time and all he does is sit in the drivers room or canteen until his shift starts… :open_mouth:

i asked him why and he said he has always done that with every company he has ever worked for and always will !!

If I do any unpaid work I just get it back by taking an extended break, sitting at a drop etc. Hourly paid but often I’d rather get home than making an extra hours’ money.

Tooz:
I work with a guy who comes in 30-40 mins before his start time and all he does is sit in the drivers room or canteen until his shift starts… :open_mouth:

i asked him why and he said he has always done that with every company he has ever worked for and always will !!

^^^^^^^
if thats what suits him,then it shuld be a win win for all concerned then?
if his co aint taking the ■■■■,and it keeps him happy,then each to their own.
anywhere ive worked,then il always come in a we bit early to make sure everythings ticketyboo before sticking in my card 5 mins before the off,but thats to suit me and not cos the firm requires it.
when i had the misfortune to try working for tesco/sainsbury and similars on agency work,i would be in ten or fifteen mins early for the sake of punctuality as i wouldnt be beancounting and trying to work to the exact minute.
for afternoon starts then id come in sometime two hours early and get my lunch in the canteen,then have a snoozypoozy in my van or be on tinterweb till ten mins before start time,then punch on in the gate.
obviously there are some complete gaffers bum boy fannys going around which is a different kettle of eels entirely.

Conor:

peirre:
If my shift starts at 05:00 and I happen to arrive at 0445-0450, the card doesn’t go in until 0500

I pretty much always arrive 15 minutes early but in your case I’d do a manual entry to cover the 0445-0500 because I’ll be in the traffic office getting the keys etc. If you go straight to the coffee machine and burn the 15 minutes having a brew and a chat, that’s a different matter.

I don’t leave home until 0430, and get there around 0450, but I don’t get paid until 5am, and any moves I do off the card are 50-100yds max

I do a couple of days agency but mainly for same firm. I’m a bit ■■■■ about being on time ( I can’t help it ) The start time given sometimes is head to X solo. Sometimes it’s take trailer X then go y. Do I generally turn up twenty mins early tondo checks and yock up to enable me to start on the start time. Obviously that’s when I get paid from.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

blue estate:

robroy:

The-Snowman:

My mate who works for a wood recycling walking floor outfit is on salary, they have idiots who run Sundays up to 9 hours for no extra money :open_mouth: because wait for it…‘They like to be first in the queue’ :unamused: :laughing: WTF! :open_mouth:

The mentality and logic of these knobs baffle me, and they are usually the types who carve up, and [zb] up the job for everybody else, …most of them are heart attack material anyway so I don’t bother my arse with them.

I’m wiping the tea which I spat out off my monitor with one hand as I type this with the other when I read what your mate said :open_mouth:

I paid by the hour and proper OT at time and half on weekdays Sunday is double bubble so I would not work unpaid on a Sunday

I never had you down as an idiot mate, so for the same reason neither would I. :smiley:

I get told start at 5 I start at 5 do my checks etc set off takes about 10 mins.
Had a argument once was told start at 5 delivery wasn’t meant be on site at 8 . Got there about 9.
Apparently it was my fault for not starting earlier.
Way I see it they want me starf at 5 6 7 what ever I’ll start then.
There job is to plan everything I just do as am told.
If you start coming in 15 20 mins earlier unpaid over a week it’s not far off 2 hours almost over a year 100 hours unpaid.
Once you do it there expect you to do it more.

Cheers lads. Bit of a mixed bag it seems.

Im not against starting 5 or ten mins early if I’m there any way or whatever. It just feels to me like purposefully aiming for half an hour early for the sole intention of doing what is part of the job is a bit excessive.
Each to their own and all that.

robroy:
My mate who works for a wood recycling walking floor outfit is on salary, they have idiots who run Sundays up to 9 hours for no extra money :open_mouth: because wait for it…‘They like to be first in the queue’ :unamused:

This is the sort of thinking I don’t get. If the company wanted me to be first then they can pay me extra to leave earlier and arrive first. No way id work for no extra money just to be first. Im effectively working to give the company/directors more money to my own disadvantage. I dont mind doing a bit extra to help out (I find most companies will be easier to deal with when I need a favour if its a two way street) but I still expect paid for it if that makes sense
Its guys like that who bring the bad practices in that companies start to expect (and especially the guy at your place who runs at 0005 on Monday)

Why do anything unpaid ■■? Companies will take advantage of it and expect more from you ,and before you know it ,it will be company policy that you don’t get paid for checks …Now I am not a driver ,but mearly a grease monkey ,but shouldn’t it be recorded anyway ,and count ■■?..I only calibrate tachos ,drivers laws are outwith my scope