Matthews international Great Yarmouth

Evening gents and ladies.
Just wondering if anyone knows any information about Matthews at great Yarmouth on their international side of work e.g. type of work, time away, countries covered,pay etc.

Thanks in advance :smiley:

Unclean, according to some [emoji14]

Jt2511:
Just wondering if anyone knows any information about Matthews at great Yarmouth on their international side of work e.g. type of work, time away, countries covered,pay etc.

I believe you may have to brush up on your Hungarian :smiley:

Wasn’t it one of their drivers that died in his cab whilst abroad and they left it to the family to pay to repatriate the body?
Shows how much they think of their staff…
Edit-just checked and yes they did-to the tune of 15 grand or so.
Nice bunch to work for eh?

andrew.s:
Wasn’t it one of their drivers that died in his cab whilst abroad and they left it to the family to pay to repatriate the body?
Shows how much they think of their staff…
Edit-just checked and yes they did-to the tune of 15 grand or so.
Nice bunch to work for eh?

Aye I think they said because he was on his daily rest or weekly rest when he died their insurance didn’t cover his death as he wasn’t officially at work :unamused:
Management even sent e-mails around to staff because their name was mud all over the internet telling them what to say and what not to say and how they could improve their image and basically not giving 2 ■■■■■ about one of their own members of staff passing away whilst doing work for them or giving 2 ■■■■■ about what his family were going through. If I’m not mistaken they were more concerned about the truck and load and sent another driver out to fetch the truck back or carry on with the delivery :unamused: ■■■■ that driving a truck and sleeping in a bed where only a few hours before some poor bugger breathed his last breath.
I think it was all over Facebook at the time it happened and my view is they don’t deserve anyone working for them the bunch of parasites in that one event they showed their true colours and what they think of their staff.

I remember parts of that case, but wasn’t there more than meets the eye to the situation?

However, such things do make you wonder what sort of people you are working for, i know what the reaction was from the top man where i work when one of the lads died (not at work), to say it was as far opposite to what happened with the poor chap mentioned would be the understatement of the year.

Juddian:
I remember parts of that case, but wasn’t there more than meets the eye to the situation?

However, such things do make you wonder what sort of people you are working for, i know what the reaction was from the top man where i work when one of the lads died (not at work), to say it was as far opposite to what happened with the poor chap mentioned would be the understatement of the year.

Put Matthews International Transport in the search on here and there’s a large thread about it called “ Bring A Trucker Home” they tried paying the blokes family off to the tune of 5 grand as hush money so they wouldn’t leak it to the press.

Guys I’ve read and saw in the news at the time about all the poor driver dying whilst being away and needing to get home etc etc.

All I want to know is what they are like overall as a company to work for, type of work etc

No slagging the company off please

Jt2511:
Guys I’ve read and saw in the news at the time about all the poor driver dying whilst being away and needing to get home etc etc.

All I want to know is what they are like overall as a company to work for, type of work etc

Fair enough but surely that incident tells you all you need to know about what the management think their drivers are worth, wages and conditions would have to be fairly spectacular to work for someone who thinks the vehicle is worth more to them than their driver.

Jt2511:

What did they sound like on the phone when you rang them?

Not knowing anything about the Company its self,but its pretty obvious from whats been said by others.Alarm bells would be ringing out loud for me on what sort of operation they run,I would need to be desperate to give them any consideration.

Jt2511:

Not being funny mate but if you still fancy working for a company like that after what happened then more fool you.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Jt2511:

Not being funny mate but if you still fancy working for a company like that after what happened then more fool you.

+1

I’d need a six figure salary to ensure I could cover my own costs in the event of needing any help abroad as it’s clear as day the firm won’t assist.

at least you know where you stand with them as no doubt theres plenty of companies that would consider you just as worthless.
if they pay good eough wages,then why not.
just have your own insurance and treat them with similar respect if it goes pear shaped.
that way the worse that happens is you lose a few days wages after you tell them where the trucks been dumped.

Jt2511:

550 after tax per week for any hours but.Most week just 5 day per week.Driver can choice how long he will at the road.Most job Uk-EU-Uk with fridge traler.Easy job,most load pharmaceutical.If need 45 hours in EU that they pay for hotel.Mist truck Daf.Most coutry-France,Italy,Spain,Germany,Belgium.But can be sometime Poland,Morocco,Greece and more.

Andrejs:

Jt2511:

550 after tax per week for any hours but.Most week just 5 day per week.Driver can choice how long he will at the road.Most job Uk-EU-Uk with fridge traler.Easy job,most load pharmaceutical.If need 45 hours in EU that they pay for hotel.Mist truck Daf.Most coutry-France,Italy,Spain,Germany,Belgium.But can be sometime Poland,Morocco,Greece and more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the wages would apparantly be as pishy as their reputaton then?

according to their web… france germany italy spain greece hungary romania bulgaria…and not less than 3 weeks away :neutral_face:

carryfast-yeti:
according to their web… france germany italy spain greece hungary romania bulgaria…and not less than 3 weeks away :neutral_face:

But for life most drivers do single trip to EU and back .Just some VIP do long trip and not back in UK to many week.

Wasn’t there more to this than met the eye.
I seem to remember a disgruntled ex driver getting involved with the family starting saying all sorts and that’s how firm ended up leaving there drivers family to get on with it

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Jt2511:

& this is why companies get away with paying their drivers ■■■■ all because people bend over and accept it.