Cruise control and smart braking

Had my first experience of the smart braking system in a Daf XF when running cruise control. Firstly it scared the bejeepers out of me and secondly a fellow chump cut in in front of me too close and activated it. Question is does this have a temp sensor, as I can see all sorts of pain in icy conditions.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Ermmm…no…switch the ■■■■ thing off :smiley: :smiley:

RIPPER:
Ermmm…no…switch the ■■■■ thing off :smiley: :smiley:

Easy to say when the first thing I knew about it was when it activated.

It’s become part of my pre-flight checks…switch all the so-called driver aids off, do it automatically now :slight_smile:

which is fine, until you have a crash, then, whether they would have helped or not, the law will nail your ■■■ to the wall. and THAT is the problem i have, they can be dagerous to have on in some situations, but if you turn them off and have a accident, youre screwed.

Annoying though they are, no way would i turn either auto braking or lane departure warning off, in the event of a bump you’re for the high jump, not only from the old bill but my boss would likely boot my arse out the door too.

Only had two actual auto braking events in the last 6 months, neither of which were needed but luckily were not on slippery roads, only the odd brake warning that doesn’t trigger the brakes.
Countless lane departure warnings, especially when the road is wet and shiny :confused:

My brain is also not wired to understand symbols on buttons I often Google them when waiting to tip to find out and still non the wiser

qwakers:
which is fine, until you have a crash, then, whether they would have helped or not, the law will nail your ■■■ to the wall. and THAT is the problem i have, they can be dagerous to have on in some situations, but if you turn them off and have a accident, youre screwed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and if you leave them on thus causing the accident in the first place,then your equally screwed,so you might as well leave them switched off and have an easier shift till something happens.

dieseldog999:

qwakers:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and if you leave them on thus causing the accident in the first place,then your equally screwed,so you might as well leave them switched off and have an easier shift till something happens.

It’s a bloody nightmare, the question that they seem to love is “did you do everything possible to avoid an accident?” To my mind, turning rubbish like that off is indeed part of avoiding accidents…

Was thinking too, what if the dumb computer sticks her to the road and the load gets shot? Not my fault mate, the lorry did it… I say dumb because computers are nothing like as clever as the digitsation fanatics would like us to believe, the human mind is far, far superior and always, always will be.

Cue luddite accusations… :laughing:

Should probably ask drivers from Scandinavian countries whether the system works (or is deactivated) in icy conditions, seeing as 1) they have real snow and ice driving conditions not the stuff we have here that gets everyone in a blind panic, and 2) the fact that two of the main leading truck marques originate in those places.

As for turning it off I’m with Juddian on this one, leave it on, if the system causes you to have an incident then it’s not you at fault but the tech and thus the manufacturer will come under scrutiny, if you turn it off and is deemed that the system “may” have prevented the accident then you’re boned and at fault.

Honestly guys you do not know or understand how the system works you’re not that clever, (nor am I btw) I highly doubt we “know better” than the team of experts who created and extensively tested the system.

Reef:
Should probably ask drivers from Scandinavian countries whether the system works (or is deactivated) in icy conditions, seeing as 1) they have real snow and ice driving conditions not the stuff we have here that gets everyone in a blind panic, and 2) the fact that two of the main leading truck marques originate in those places.

As for turning it off I’m with Juddian on this one, leave it on, if the system causes you to have an incident then it’s not you at fault but the tech and thus the manufacturer will come under scrutiny, if you turn it off and is deemed that the system “may” have prevented the accident then you’re boned and at fault.

Honestly guys you do not know or understand how the system works you’re not that clever, (nor am I btw) I highly doubt we “know better” than the team of experts who created and extensively tested the system.

Speak for yourself, not others.

Ta.

Drempels:

Ta.

Sorry, didn’t realise we had a genius in our midst :unamused:

Ta.

Who wants a computer to do your braking for you?
…FFS it’s like getting your neighbour around to shag your wife when you’re working nights!

I only put cruise on when there’s a safe gap between me and the traffic in front AND that situation isn’t likely to change from second to second… Eg. I don’t use it in rush-hour traffic. :bulb:

I DO use cruise on downhill slopes though - so the exhaust brake kicks in, and I don’t have to keep padding the brakes.
I find setting the cruise to about 48mph works quite well, and avoids the “overspeed” that you’ll get otherwise, if the downhill slope lets it “run away with you” over 56mph otherwise.
(Doesn’t work with fully-weighted truck though!)

Play nicely. ;0)

Reef:

Drempels:

Ta.

Sorry, didn’t realise we had a genius in our midst :unamused:

Ta.

Quite possibly we do, but he or she isn’t you or I. My assertions come from going to college for three years and conversations with friends of ours. One is a consultant neurologist and the other a clinical psychologist who has a passing interest in the mental health of professional drivers.

How about yours?

What would make you think that the system brakes harder than you in a panic stop on a slippery road?
ABS / EBS are still normal working either way, controlling the brake pressure, and preventing wheels from locking up.
The only one that overrides everything is your secondary brake (most drivers never used it or don’t know where it is) this is on modern vehicles the handbrake lever up to the point where you have to lift it slightly to put the handbrake on (on electric handbrakes there is a point with slightly more resistance on the lever)
So even if your AED or whatever they call it kicks in your still come controlled to a stop, that doesn’t mean That it is still very annoying if it activates for a wrong reason, but your in safe hands.

By the way; ever tried to brake so hard from a decent speed that the ABS kicks in?
You will be surprised how much grip there is and how much you are hanging in the seatbelt before that is happen, on ice is it of course a different story.

I was only thinking myself of in adverse conditions.

I have it it mine and adadptive cruise control
I never trust it . at times just seems to slam brakes on saying crash on dashboard yet not near anything.

wheni 1 st got it I watched an online daf video of how it works.

they had a woman in a daf following a huge mock up polystyrene car being towed. she approached it the electronics kicked in slowed her down to a stop.

so next day I tried to see if it works apparoaced a car behind was almost ontop of the thing and I apllied the brakes .

adapative cruise control is ok I like that.

and 1st thing I do is turn off lane warning thing

Only had one genuine moment where the system has slammed on the brakes on the Renault T cab, otherwise it just freaks out flashing warnings up on the dash at times when it should’nt do so, it can also throw a hissy fit when the sensor gets wet at crawling speed, and disables the emergency brakes and a couple of other linked features. Get it up to speed, the wind clears the water out of the sensor and normality is resumed

The lane warning thing is a pain. But if you are trunking I would say it’s a godsend