Reduced 9 Hour Rest

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this as my own are that 9 hours rest is just not enough for example if I finish at 1900 then have to start at 0400 by the time you have washed, had food and a cuppa and relaxed a bit then you are already looking at bed for 2200 then up at 0330 to get ready to flick tachograph over at 0400, for me that is not enough sleep considering we are driving hgvs.

I agree, it’s an outrage. But unless you are a black, one-legged lesbian asylum seeker, then don’t go expecting too many “human rights” around here.

I totally agree. I find by time I stop as you said had tea etc. I then find I’m not tired so sit up to 11 or so listing to radio.

Feel sorry as know some drivers who dont night out have 9 hours off then back in. By time got home had tea then have get up.
Least in wagon guess can have a lie in as such don’t have travel back to work.

Never happen but rules should change 13 on 11 off permenatly
Make life a lot easier and simple

I’m fine with nine hours but…

Firstly as soon as my head hits the pillow I’m gone.

Secondly I’ve only ever slept about six hours a night anyway for years and years. I’m the one who is mowing the grass at 6.30am on a Sunday for example lol

I find 9hrs OK if tramping, on day work it’s crap. I have slept in the lorry at work before when I can’t be bothered with a 45min each way trip home if it’s essential I have a 9hr break.

I very very rarely take a 9, for me its 11 hours or more if I can. Sometimes it is unavoidable if I have to make a specific booking time, but luckily the majority of the work I do is not timed. But there have been times in the past when three 15 hour days a week was normal.
When, as you say throw traveling time into that 9 hours then it will eat into the remaining time a bit. The worse thing is trying to wind down. As I get older, now approaching 65, I like to have at least 7 hours sleep a night, but years ago as a young 20-30 year old, four or five hours sleep a night was enough…or so I thought.

It was probably the lack of sleep, long hours, erratic eating times,the start up fumes from a Gardner 240, lack of exercise, smoking and drinking Jack Daniels by the bottle that probably contributed to me heart attack in my 50’s…yep on reflection that lack of sleep probably did it!

Do not agree to a reduced rest if you cannot get enough sleep to drive safely - your boss cannot force you to do it if you make clear that it is a safety issue

9 hours rest should be up to the driver’s discretion, (not to some prick in an office who goes home for 12 to 13 hours himself) it certainly is in my case, I take them at my decision.
I had 9 off last night, but I’d already showered and eaten before I parked up, so it was a full REST not the 5 or 6 hours kip that some idiots take after shower/meal/ unwind/time it takes to drop off/wake up half an hour before booking on again feeling donald ducked in charge of 44 tonnes.for another 15 hours…2 words… ■■■■ and that. :unamused:

It’s at your own discretion, if a 9er suits you is your sole choice and you can cope then by all means go for it…so long as it pays you that is.

mrginge:
I find 9hrs OK if tramping, on day work it’s crap. I have slept in the lorry at work before when I can’t be bothered with a 45min each way trip home if it’s essential I have a 9hr break.

Absolutely. 9 should only be an option if making use of the “bunk or couchette” (I love that phrase) :laughing: Otherwise should be 11 min.

I try to avoid 9 hour rests like the plague but some times needs must and I’m paid time and half for OT

Drempels:
Otherwise should be 11 min.

Do you sleep in a microwave? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Twoninety88:
smoking and drinking Jack Daniels by the bottle

How do you smoke Jack Daniels? [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Twoninety88:

Drempels:

:laughing:

I don’t mind a 9 off, I’m usually out all week but if I’m feeling too tired I’ll say no. On the odd occasion that I’m back at base for the night I’ll not do a minute under 11 hours off or I’ll have a night out in the yard.
It seems some of you need to remember that no is a word you can use.

El Deano:

Twoninety88:
smoking and drinking Jack Daniels by the bottle

How do you smoke Jack Daniels? [emoji2]

Set light to it and ■■■■ in the fumes?? :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Twoninety88:

Drempels:

Yeah, can get 9 hrs rest in 45 mins now! :laughing:

Drempels:

Twoninety88:

Drempels:

Yeah, can get 9 hrs rest in 45 mins now! :laughing:

That’s how the flip flops do it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

More than enough time off if you’re cracking on. I like 11 if I’m off to the pub, if not 9 is plenty to cook, eat, clean, sleep, eat, clean and be ready to go again.

Would be much happier with being able to do 15 every day or 9 off every night.

I won’t reduce at home…end.

I always plan for a maximum 13 hour day and 11 hours off, then save the 15s/9s for delays etc. I would personally be in favour of simplyfing the rules to have a maximum 14 hour day / 10 hour rest every night.