Low bridge on A85 towards Oban

Hey all, I have been given a trip for monday heading to oban from glasgow. Ive been told by four drivers at my place of work that the 14ft bridge near Achnacloich is ok for a 14ft 2 trailer?
Has anyone been under it with a higher trailer or should i save the embarrassment of the risk and go the long way round?
Must Edit** the trailer is 4.3m which is 4ft 1 and according to traffic scotland the bridge is 4.26m, think it will be a drop air thing

well shouldnt your own drivers know exactly,or are they taking the pee?
call a couple of hauliers in oban,inverness,or cambletown and they should tell you if you dont get a reply from here ?
or ask your boss to confirm what route for you.

dieseldog999:
well shouldnt your own drivers know exactly,or are they taking the pee?
call a couple of hauliers in oban,inverness,or cambletown and they should tell you if you dont get a reply from here ?
or ask your boss to confirm what route for you.

Suppose your right on that and maybe i should trust my fellow truckers if they have all said you will fit under it!
I was tempted and now confident seeing the bridge height on traffic scotland is 4.26(14ft) and im 4.3m (14ft1) suppose ill just drop the air to be safe

If anything happens and you’ve taken a trailer under a bridge which is marked lower than a trailer there’ll be nobody there to back you. Not your boss, not the other drivers, not the other local hauliers. It will be only you… So why risk it?

id reckon all your advice would be sound,especially if others from your mob have done the same trip though id still be going through it in crawler with my bum on the windowsill and craning my neck backwards… :slight_smile:

Is there much difference time wise going over rest and be thankfull?

Send a pm to Pat Hasler in the good old u s of a , he knows everything so u should get a definitive answer !! Good luck :smiley:

goo.gl/maps/MHyZcjxCXqF2

It’s an advisory 14’0” between the goalposts. You can see from the pic that a few drivers have ■■■■■■ it up.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

largebloke1969:
Send a pm to Pat Hasler in the good old u s of a , he knows everything so u should get a definitive answer !! Good luck :smiley:

+1,. In the oldern days when he ran Tesco, that was a day run from daventry.,.

Bridge looks old as ■■■■ you will be doing it a favour taking it down.

Xtreme0964:
Is there much difference time wise going over rest and be thankfull?

Tbf if your heading from Glasgow way and up the side of Loch Lomond there is probably not as much in it as you would think. The road between Lochgilphead and Oban is not the greatest right enough. Depends how much notice you take of speedlimits as well. If you like to keep it lit there’s plenty of opportunity to be flat to the mat (not that I condone that kind of driving*)

*Only because my fleetspec merc dies on its arse the moment a hill comes into view!

Lochgilphead to oban is mint on a bike…not sure I’d fancy it in an artic though.
Although,I have had the odd close encounter with a fish/timber lorry on there…so it is doable.
You can turn right at inverary and go through the arch…I’ve taken an artic through there…but can’t remember the dimensions.
Would this miss the bridge anyway?

Pothole heaven the A83 (rest and be thankful ) road when I was last there. Avoids that bridge though

Where is rest and be thankful?

commonrail:
Where is rest and be thankful?

I just done a Carryfast …

The A83 is a very important through road in Scotland and connects the Central Belt, via the A82 from Glasgow, with the south west of Scotland all the way down to Campbeltown Kintyre. The road starts in Tarbet at the junction with the A82, north of the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond. The A83 is a very scenic road, almost 100 miles long, and it brings you through some of the most beautiful countryside Scotland has to offer.

Looking Down Glen Kinglas from Rest and Be ThankfulSince much of this scenic road runs along the shores of Loch Fyne, the highest point is reached only ten miles after Tarbet at the famous pass called Rest and Be Thankful. This pass on the A83 is 245m above sea level and it divides Glen Kinglas from Glen Croe. On top is a viewpoint with beautiful views in Glen Croe where you can clearly see the old valley road which was engineered by General Wade during the subjection of Scotland following the Jacobite rebellion. A stone was erected to commemorate the completion of this military road in 1750.

Tony beal must have become a very rich man on the proceeds of repairing sheets that were ripped on that bridge! This was almost always as a consequence of trying to coax an impossibly optimistically high, usually around 15’, load of hay under it at 2am. Yes, I was that man, and was in the company of other, illustrious, offenders.

.You will be fine at 14/1, but lower the suspension anyway. The arch is at not quite 90 deg to the road, and you can win a wee bit by going through at an angle.

Tarbet hotel
3xnights bed &breakfast and evening meal first weekend in June
£89 bar.
Done it every year since 2011.
You know it makes sence

20160604_071648.jpg

20160605_121709.jpg

heading north from a mile out of arrochar just past where the torpedo jettys in loch long where they played with them in ww2,then after you climb the miles of hill and reach the top before heading downwards,is the spot named rest and be thankfull which most probably described the thoughts running through the horses mind while it was waiting on some sort of felling to return to its backside in years gone by.
the wee road you can see i the pic used to be used as closed stages for rally car stuff,and theres a wee unseen burn runs alongside the road which has mega deep pools if you are partial to salmon at the correct time of year,its tiny and you cant imagine the size of fish it holds though the favoured way is a boat rod and a cpl of big hooks,or just get into your speedos and stab them… :slight_smile:

Gotcha.
Big laybye on the left.
Sweeping right hander…before dropping down the other side.
Ridden it many times.