Waitrose Interview/Assessment

Evening all,
I have an interview/assessment next week at Waitrose for Class 1 driver.
Anyone had one ? Any advice/tips on the process and what to expect would be appreciated . Been told to allow 4.5 hrs for the day !!
Cheers in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There might be someone along to give you specifics but probably all the usuals apply.

Brush up on your Highway Code, as it would be embarrassing to fail a quick test on it!

You’ll probably do a “show me tell me” walk around check of the wagon - top tip is to take the keys with you whenever you get out of the truck.

On the drive, just be smooth and courteous and stay away from kerbs. It’s not a driving test, it’s just a check ride.

Sound not too bad then. Many thanks

You and other applicants will be taken to a room where you will do ice breakers & one or two activities. It’s a bit much to be honest, but it’s to weed out the knuckle draggers. After that you get taken into a room one by one and interviewed. If successful, you’ll be invited back for an assessment.

Don’t forget, your applying to become a partner in the company with John Lewis, not just to be a bum on a seat. I’d wear a shirt to the initial assessment. Make sure you get across enthusiasm for that aspect of it.

The whole ethos of the John Lewis companies is politeness towards and respect for other people, and of course property. They expect a smart appearance so clean shoes etc.

Interview I had at Aylesford was with two people and consisted of a written test which meant writing a story about what I would do in a given situation. Time limit was 25 mins but after 15 mins they came back in room with update to situation which then had to be added to the story. They also ask lots of questions about mainly straightforward stuff which should have been easy but mind went blank. Thought interview was crap but they phoned next day to say it had gone well and they were impressed.
Assessment was drive around Maidstone then 2 reverses into coned box, 1 blindside but was easy as you can look out of back window.
Been with them 13 months and I’ll be here for life now, what’s left of it :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Writing stories and ice breaking meetings?
Do they want people to deliver food or teach GCSE drama?

Do your walk round checks as thoroughly as you possibly can and make it obvious to them what your checking. If it’s nit obvious then just tell the assessor what your checking. Would be silly to fail on walk round checks wouldn’t it. They want em done properly.

Like any supermarket they are H&S obsessed so be thinking about that whenever your doing anything.

The drive isn’t a race. They want to see your safe and confident but there can be a fine line between confidence and cockiness. Better being over cautious without being nervous and they will prefer that than seeing someone hurtling up to a set of lights to try and beat them to only have to slam on and send all the milk and yoghurts flying through the trailer. Smooth and safe is the idea.

Muckaway:

+1
Its getting ridiculous when it gets to that stage.
Anything other than a quick license check, a few highway code questions and a half hour drive would have alarm bells ringing for me regarding the company I was going to be working for

The-Snowman:

Muckaway:

+1
Anything other than a quick license check, a few highway code questions and a half hour drive would have alarm bells ringing for me regarding the company I was going to be working for

If the transport terms are the same as the in-store terms (way above average) why are people surprised they want an above average interview?

As was posted above you will be representing the company (and the person hiring you has a share in that company) they want the right person. Seems pretty fair to me. A big company also needs consistency across sites so this is what they have come up with.

Theres only so much you can tell about someone from a quick chat and assessment. I doubt waitrose wants the reputation Stobarts has for example so its a bit more than check licence, heres keys and off you go

I would imagine the written answer to the problem situation which then changed with an update was to weed out the complete dimwits and those whose handwriting is illegible.

The-Snowman:

Muckaway:

+1

I wouldn’t have alarm bells. Waitrose are a very good company. It’s just the way some companies like to do it. I think it filters out the low IQ idiots having an extra interview stage so they probably end up with a higher standard of employee. Not just a bum on seat who’s got a class 1 licence.

I applied for a job at Waitrose at Aylesford once. Interview was with two women from HR and went really well, I was invited back for an assessment drive and failed that, mainly because I intensely disliked the driver assessor from the get-go and was unable to keep it hidden. He had just got back in the early hours of that morning from a “holiday in Thailand”, it was obvious what type of holiday it was and I simply couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm to share his delight.

Harry Monk:
I applied for a job at Waitrose at Aylesford once. Interview was with two women from HR and went really well, I was invited back for an assessment drive and failed that, mainly because I intensely disliked the driver assessor from the get-go and was unable to keep it hidden. He had just got back in the early hours of that morning from a “holiday in Thailand”, it was obvious what type of holiday it was and I simply couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm to share his delight.

■■■ tourist is one of my favourite insults, it really throws people :laughing:

People like your assessor make my skin crawl, I detest them. Bullies, getting off on vulnerable people. It’s next door to ■■■■, in my book.

DickyNick:

The-Snowman:

Muckaway:

+1

I wouldn’t have alarm bells. Waitrose are a very good company. It’s just the way some companies like to do it. I think it filters out the low IQ idiots having an extra interview stage so they probably end up with a higher standard of employee. Not just a bum on seat who’s got a class 1 licence.

Very true but I don’t like being micromanaged and firms who have such stringent interviews will invariably also be a complete nightmare unless every T is crossed and I dotted with regards to every aspect of your working time.
These, in my opinion, are also the types who “expect” some unpaid work “to suit the needs of the business”.
Just my opinion. I’m lucky in that I possess common sense, a work ethic and the ability to work under my own initiative. The alarm bells would be for me personally as it leaves me unable to be dictated to for every little thing for these types of companies. Unfortunately though, you have a point in that there are scores of “drivers” who need someone looking over them and never letting them deviate from the company mantra.

The-Snowman:

DickyNick:

The-Snowman:

Muckaway:

+1

Very true but I don’t like being micromanaged and firms who have such stringent interviews will invariably also be a complete nightmare unless every T is crossed and I dotted with regards to every aspect of your working time.
These, in my opinion, are also the types who “expect” some unpaid work “to suit the needs of the business”.
Just my opinion. I’m lucky in that I possess common sense, a work ethic and the ability to work under my own initiative. The alarm bells would be for me personally as it leaves me unable to be dictated to for every little thing for these types of companies. Unfortunately though, you have a point in that there are scores of “drivers” who need someone looking over them and never letting them deviate from the company mantra.

The sad thing is, those types of driver are never going to get I to a place like waitrose!

for 60k year? why not?..wait a minute…
Always when i see tyred 60plate low Daf pulling Waitros/John Lewis… im thinking, they must pay very very good…otherwise why would someone drive that pile of junk?

Many thanks for all replies.