Smart motorway cameras flashing

Going down M62 last night and I notice a couple of the cameras flashing at nearly every vehicle that went under. The first one had no speed up on the variable signs but it was even flashing at trucks That would be doing 14mph or more under the speed limit.

Another one the signs were set at 40 and I went through at 38 and saw it in my mirror flash. Not just me was flashing at most vehicles if not all.

Any one know what that’s all about?

I have watched them go off in front of me with nothing having passed them before they went off a few times now.

I was stuck In traffic manchter bound kept seeing it flash coudlt see why.
Ain’t technologhy great lol

edd1974:

Same technology that manages your spellchecker it would seem.

Cronus:

edd1974:

Same technology that manages your spellchecker it would seem.

that escalated quickly

i reckon it could be heading this way before tea time… :smiley:

handbags at dawn.gif

Sometimes they are going through a calibration sequence.
The cameras on the south section of the M25 are like a disco strobe some nights .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
Sometimes they are going through a calibration sequence.
The cameras on the south section of the M25 are like a disco strobe some nights .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This^^^^^^. Also known as self testing.

When you go past one that goes onto self test, it’s not big or clever thinking let’s wait 14days and see.

biggriffin:
it’s not big or clever thinking let’s wait 14days and see.

I know… coming up the M1 last Friday each gantry said 50. So I put cruise on at 50. As I went under one particular gantry it flashed (a car was overtaking me at about 53). Each gantry after that still said 50. I started thinking “did that one say 40, and I somehow missed it?”, and now I’m waiting for my manager to hand me a letter to read.

Same thing happened tonight to me on the M25, around J18, only one Gantry sign lit at 50MPH, and the next one giving the national speed limit sign. I passed under at 50 and only just being overtaken by a couple of cars at probably no more than 53 as they were only just passing by, but the speed camera flashes were very active!

Nothing like blindingly bright flashing lights to enhance road safety.

Speaking of road safety, does anyone else get annoyed by the mega bright work lights the road workers aim directly into on coming traffic at night when there is nobody actually doing any road works?

nomiS36:
Speaking of road safety, does anyone else get annoyed by the mega bright work lights the road workers aim directly into on coming traffic at night when there is nobody actually doing any road works?

Yes! They’re especially bad in rain.

I was watching one of those “Mega Builders” type programs the other day, and it was about the extension of a flyover in an Asian country. Their work lights all had diffusers on, much like the worklight you see on the extrudakerb machines.

nomiS36:

Yes. Genius, isn’t it?

Ambulances at night are also terrible when they’re in front of you, extremely bright blue lights flashing at you for miles. Why they need them flashing to the rear while driving I don’t know, been quite a few times that I’ve been blinded by the things.

Emergency vehicles can certainly be excused from causing distraction as that is exactly what their flashing lights are meant to do but unessecary flashing lights are a pain in the ■■■■.
Bin lorries and low loaders spring to mind, using them when they should not and also as mentioned the ones at roadworks especially at night.Yes they need lights for roadworks but not bright flashing ones that almost blind you! :unamused:

TheUncaringCowboy:

nomiS36:

Yes. Genius, isn’t it?

Ambulances at night are also terrible when they’re in front of you, extremely bright blue lights flashing at you for miles. Why they need them flashing to the rear while driving I don’t know, been quite a few times that I’ve been blinded by the things.

^^^^^^^^
+1
theres absolutely no reason for rear blue strobes on emergency vehicles unless they are stopped attending to an accident as they serve no purpose whatsoever.
some of the plant low loaders are bad enough with the amber strobe but even when empty then theres every chance that some myopic ■■■■■■■ will plough into the back of it anyway so fairs fair there.

The bright lights that blind you at night in empty roadworks are for the average speed cameras to make sure they get a nice clear shot of your plate.

Remember, you are being blinded for your own safety!

With that wind last night, I wonder if it is possible for flying about leaves to trigger the cameras? :confused:

dieseldog999:

TheUncaringCowboy:

nomiS36:

Yes. Genius, isn’t it?

^^^^^^^^
+1
theres absolutely no reason for rear blue strobes on emergency vehicles unless they are stopped attending to an accident as they serve no purpose whatsoever.
some of the plant low loaders are bad enough with the amber strobe but even when empty then theres every chance that some myopic ■■■■■■■ will plough into the back of it anyway so fairs fair there.

Some speed cameras take the photo from behind, the blue lights need to be on front and rear to claim exemption from the speed limits whilst attending incidents. If you notice on emergency vehicles, there is a blue light that stays on permanently to the rear as cameras can miss the blue strobes as they flash so fast.

so having a lit blue light should suffice to enable the dangerous rear bue strobes never to be sed though you may think that something bright yellow or red with fire brigade or ambulance splattered all over it might also suffice the pleb in the office to not send the n,ip.
a quick check on the various databases would show it was a legit callout and save everyone else getting blinded being behind it.
i followed the stranraer traffic plod all the way from dumfries to just short of the ferry as it was rear ■■■■■■ for a wind turbine truck complete with plod car in front with blues,and a couple of ■■■■■■ vans.
there was no need whatsoever for the rear strobes to be on as there was masses of light on every other vehicle and all it did was blind the front cars immediately behind the convoy.
i gave up and pulled in for a few mins then tagged onto the queue so i couldnt be in direct vision,and as usual with the ■■■■■■■ attitude,even though they stopped a few times on massively wide straight parts of the road,they wouldnt let anyone pass,hence there was about 100 motors missed their ferry.
it was like that truck cocacola advert at the back of them. complete mountain out of a molehill ignoramouses.