Roads for self driving lorries announced?

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech … rries.html

Ok, so it’s only a suggestion according to the article. Personally I doubt the public will be told which roads are used.

It says the vehicle les will alleviate the problem of a driver shortage. Then goes on to say a driver will still need to be in attendance. So I am no wiser ad to what they are on about.
As for a driver shortage, I’m only 5’7" so I suppose it’s partly my fault.

cheekymonkey:
As for a driver shortage, I’m only 5’7" so I suppose it’s partly my fault.

Groan.png
Premod for you! :laughing: :laughing:

The 6 levels of self-driving automation

Level Zero - The full-time performance by the human driver of all aspects of the dynamic driving task, even when enhanced by warning or intervention systems.

Level One – A small amount of control is accomplished by the system such as adaptive braking if a car gets too close.

Level Two – The system can control the speed and direction of the car allowing the driver to take their hands off temporarily, but they have to monitor the road at all times and be ready to take over.

Level Three – The driver does not have to monitor the system at all times in some specific cases like on high ways but must be ready to resume control if the system requests.

Level Four – The system can cope will all situations automatically within defined use but it may not be able to cope will all weather or road conditions. System will rely on high definition mapping.

Level Five – Full automation. System can cope with all weather, traffic and lighting conditions. It can go anywhere, at any time in any conditions.

I don’t know about anybody here, but I’ve only driven a level 1 lorry, and generally drive them at level zero if possible. Level 5 is a LONG way off. Even level 4 needs a driver present.

i reckon if you allow using your knees to steer while your making your scran on the motorway then im deffo up at level 3 sofar. :slight_smile:

~Four, if you can make tea at the same time.

Tell a lie then… I momentarily reached level 5 when I quickly shut the sunroof.

it may well happen,but it all depends on which haulage companies can afford the technology,stobarts will be one,xpo maybe,but a lot of haulage outfits are probably doing well but will not be able to afford the technology for these lorries,and as the lorries will probably be fitted with this technology how much will the average price for each unit be,if I remember correctly the average price is around £80,000 to £100,000+ for a truck,how much will they go up in price with the new technology fitted,on top of that the running of a truck is offset against tax at the end of the financial year[I think] so surely the taxman will have to take a hit and we all know it will be passed onto the average taxpayer to make up for it,we can only wait and see

ezydriver:
Tell a lie then… I momentarily reached level 5 when I quickly shut the sunroof.

I had an itchy foot one night and took my boots off to scratch it.
I reached level 5 when I was putting it back on and tying the laces

truckman020:
it may well happen,but it all depends on which haulage companies can afford the technology,stobarts will be one,xpo maybe,but a lot of haulage outfits are probably doing well but will not be able to afford the technology for these lorries,and as the lorries will probably be fitted with this technology how much will the average price for each unit be,if I remember correctly the average price is around £80,000 to £100,000+ for a truck,how much will they go up in price with the new technology fitted,on top of that the running of a truck is offset against tax at the end of the financial year[I think] so surely the taxman will have to take a hit and we all know it will be passed onto the average taxpayer to make up for it,we can only wait and see

Whilst the units will cost more across 4 years the savings of not requiring a driver pay, pension holiday etc will help off set it.

Personally I think they need to get the technology working constantly before worrying about the costs

I have said it before - the first ones will be electric tugs shunting inside yards.

I’m a confirmed Luddite but all this and more is definitely heading our way; it’s progress.
It won’t arrive overnight as like most inventions it will require phasing in gradually with
constant improvement.

Another bit of brilliant journalism there