Truck sat nav

My old garmin unit is no longer in production so I can no longer get map updates, I’m starting a new job in a weeks time so I need to upgrade , not sure if I want garmin again after been told when I bought my old unit there was lifetime map updates , obviously not .
Read reviews on garmin/ tom Tom , don’t know much about snooper , any help or comments much appreciated, cheers

I’ll say Tom Tom as that’s what I use and never been let down, however someone will no doubt be along shortly to tell you an atlas is what makes you a proper driver :laughing:

I’ve got the go pro 6200 which seems ok. Find out for sure on Monday.

Gave it a test run in the car this morning. Went from Coalville to Markfield as I knew that the a511 was shut for resurfacing, so I knew I would have to take the back lanes. Bloody thing was determined to take me along the a511, on the way back copilot did the same

All this tech and I’m still going to end up ripping a page out of my atlas! Lol! The old timers are going to love that!

cwtrucker:
My old garmin unit is no longer in production so I can no longer get map updates, I’m starting a new job in a weeks time so I need to upgrade , not sure if I want garmin again after been told when I bought my old unit there was lifetime map updates , obviously not .
Read reviews on garmin/ tom Tom , don’t know much about snooper , any help or comments much appreciated, cheers

Got the new Garmin 770dezl.Comes with map updates.And traffic.Lifetime updates too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

All sat nav manufactures state lifetime maps are for as long as they provide support for that device

I’m going back driving properly soon probably so im after a decent sat nav. Ive heard the tomtom 6250 / 6200 pro are the better ones. Will also buy a truckers atlas. Any decent apps that i can download for hours / routing etc?

htfc1984:
I’m going back driving properly soon probably so im after a decent sat nav. Ive heard the tomtom 6250 / 6200 pro are the better ones. Will also buy a truckers atlas. Any decent apps that i can download for hours / routing etc?

Don’t know about apps for hours/routing but Google maps is an excellent tool with street view so you can see exactly where you need to be.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:

htfc1984:

Don’t know about apps for hours/routing but Google maps is an excellent tool with street view so you can see exactly where you need to be.

I use Google maps already. It is very good admittedly. Just wondered if anything else worth downloading. Defo a bit rusty on my hours etc.

htfc1984:

wrighty1:

htfc1984:

I use Google maps already. It is very good admittedly. Just wondered if anything else worth downloading. Defo a bit rusty on my hours etc.

Tbh if it’s a newish truck it should give you the info you need regarding hours on the dash display, does on my Actros anyway.

I bought the oh-so-widely-praised TomTom 6200 (Professional) and already on my first run I found out it’s default map has large chunks missing - like industrial areas which are ‘kind of’ important to ‘truckers’. Google maps have them (naturally) but not the oh-so-professional-and-overpriced piece of…TOmtom. Well, for only 35 GBP they’re selling a separate UK+Ireland map (which you are generously allowed to update 4 times for free). Another thing is the free traffic updates - yeah, they’re only free for the first year. Honestly, what a rip-off. If you’re only going to do trunking like junction to junction then yeah, I guess it’s ok but then do you really need a dedicated trucking sat-nav?

Oh and you can’t even preview their paid maps so I won’t be paying for that one

The 6200 only has a 1 year traffic subscription, the 6250 (which I have) has a lifetime subscription to traffic & speed cameras through the built In sim

TheNewBoy:
The 6200 only has a 1 year traffic subscription, the 6250 (which I have) has a lifetime subscription to traffic & speed cameras through the built In sim

That’s the one I’ve mainly been looking at. Do you recommend it?

I just use the satnav/maps on my iPhone

It’s perfect tbh. Sometimes it will try and take me down 7.5t routes or under low bridges but I just keep my eyes open and use my good sense off direction to reroute and the sat nav catches up again