Daf vs Daf

Still want an old truck rather then new.

youtube.com/watch?v=jcWol3V_ORQ

They could have had a better driver :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

+1, not really a concise road test was it?
Who fitted seat belts in that 3300, too old for them to be fitted as standard equipment?
I like the comment " I miss my sat nav"

Punchy Dan:

Is he better

youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8YyqCMaIo

fingermissing:

Punchy Dan:

Is he better

He moans about reaching across the dash ,I bet he moans about being in a fl10 ■■■■ pit too :laughing:

I know that some at my place would jump at the chance to drive a 3300 again ,
even I would love to drive one
That road tester has been to snow flaked

Poor porky,s left hand is strapped. Proves how the job aint what it used to be. My sister drove 2100, basically same cab and she handled it like a car, no complaints.

2800 Super Continental for me, please! :smiley:

Took my test in either a 2800 or a 2600, can’t remember which now. I’d love to have a go in that 3300. My ex father in law (now deceased) loved DAFs, most of his driving days were spent doing Italy. The 3300 space cabs were always his favourite.

Ffs, the daf 3300 was of it’s time, who in there right thinking mind,would say “I’d rather drive a 3300, instead of that xf106” or “f10 was better than fhV4”

biggriffin:
Ffs, the daf 3300 was of it’s time, who in there right thinking mind,would say “I’d rather drive a 3300, instead of that xf106” or “f10 was better than fhV4”

I would!-my first “proper” lorry was a 1992 Daf 1900,same cab and interior as the one in the vid(but shorter and narrower obviously)12 speed splitter in in my one.i would happily drive one every day if in brand new condition.it was a pleasure to drive.
None of this electronic crap making decisions for me,you had to actually drive the thing.
Every time I get a new lorry,whilst being a bit more comfortable,there is always something that seems like a step backwards to me-my new daf for instance has a traction control that I can’t actually turn fully off(great in the tip in the mud that stupid idea is-can’t even spin the mud off the tyres on the wheel spinner because of it).
And a little screen giving me driving “hints” and a thumbs up etc and a percentage score?
Sod right off!!!

I too think I’d prefer a brand new 3300 than a brand new 106 or a new 143 over a 164 or whatever the latest scanny is now. Rose tinted specs? Yeah maybe but as already said all this unnecessary electronic stuff on modern trucks drive me mad. Luckily ‘my’ 18 plate MAN hasn’t got all that driving score crap DAFs and Scanias have. Manual ‘box and turn the lane guidance turned off makes me a happy trucker [emoji4] I’ve got all the modern creature comforts without the annoying crap.

Punchy Dan:

fingermissing:

Punchy Dan:

Is he better

He moans about reaching across the dash ,I bet he moans about being in a fl10 ■■■■ pit too :laughing:

He also moans about having to change gear whilst watching out for other road users at the same time ffs!!!
Although I don’t suppose Daf wouldn’t have been pleased if he said the 3300 was the ■■■■■■■■ and the XF was crap!!

andrew.s:

Punchy Dan:

fingermissing:

Punchy Dan:

Is he better

He also moans about having to change gear whilst watching out for other road users at the same time ffs!!!
Although I don’t suppose Daf wouldn’t have been pleased if he said the 3300 was the ■■■■■■■■ and the XF was crap!!

Just like “trucks on trial” features in magazines; They don’t criticise they waffle and pretend the drivers comment on stuff you know they would never notice.

Sound and heat insulation, HEVAC, in cabs is superior now to what went before.
Switchgear is maybe a bit better. But I dont get excited about it. Engines are better, when the electrical systems allow their potential to be used. Gearboxes.... I havent driven the latest versions of the autos, but Id take DAFs 2000 16-speed manual over their 2015 auto heap of ordure anyday.
Steering is worse on my current truck than my previous one.
Full power steering at motorway speeds, but the auto box drops the engine to tickover on roundabouts and so at slow speeds less assistance when you need it more. Not stand up and sweat, heaving at the wheel, but annoying.
And narrower steer tyres are more fuel economic, but side wall flexing means it wallows and wanders over the road on all but motorways. And saving a little on fuel is soon countered by replacing “eco tyres” two or three times a year!

Overall I`d take a 2005 over a 2015 truck. Maybe not a 1995 though.

Having worked for a firm where they thought “new” was 10 years old I’ll happily drive a one year old truck thanks very much.
I drove Fodens for several years but I wouldn’t want one back now, not even with a fridge/freezer body on.

This is the vehicle I took my first test in when I was young some guy in chigwell … it was a Y reg, green I think … I recall he had 2 huge hello indicator repeaters on the dash … I would dearly love to restore one of these … to show condition they are just excessive to buy here in Australia … ie a 2011 CF daf 900k they want 60k around 36k UK money yet I see DaF’s same. Age and type for 8/9k in the uk …

biggriffin:

Honestly, I’d go back to a S1 FH Globe tomorrow, later one with a nice spec. Would take a 4 series too.

It was restored and is owned by Lothian DAF .I think DAF occasionally borrow it s it was at Thame for a while before they moved

It was restored and is owned by Lothian DAF .I think DAF occasionally borrow it s it was at Thame for a while before they moved