Serious accident m5 near bridgewater

Not sure if it is still shut but it was mayhem this morning,

thesun.co.uk/news/7248881/m … ad-latest/

Rip to those involved.

I got stuck in the northbound Q. When I went past the tractor unit was on the back of the recovery wagon but if he had a trailer that was gone. I didn’t see a lot of damage on it. There was only a lightly damaged car and a motorbike otherwise but the green screens were still up so…
Anyway, R.I.P to the victims.

I did feel like shouting the question to the 4 people that had parked their cars on a bridge and were staring at the scene whether they had managed to see any dead bodies [emoji35]

Quite possibly those 4 that filmed this then;

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-45508272

No, I saw them filming from the bridge too with a proper camera. The 4 ‘rubber neckers’ were south of the scene so looking the oppersite direction.

It looks as though a MAN TGX unit belonging to J & B (Cricklade, Swindon) hauling a low-loader trailer which was carrying another MAN TGX unit, has hit the back of queueing traffic. It always queues in Lane 1 approaching J25 between 8 and 9 in the morning. It is particularly dangerous to be at the back of the queue as vehicles take late avoiding action.

Often with these queuing traffic ones the main offender in not concentrating does manage to swerve and get away with it and its the one behind that hits it.

With the amount spent on smart motorways there ought to be better instant signage warning of stationary traffic and instructing anything not leasving at the junction to get into 2 or 3 well in advance.

What’s changed is the amount of morning and evening commuting on motorways which never existed on a lot of the network originally. In the eighties and even nineties if a job meant a commute to a motorway junction then a drive to even just the next junction most people would have got a nearer job.

A lot of the trouble is high house prices.

Own Account Driver:
Often with these queuing traffic ones the main offender in not concentrating does manage to swerve and get away with it and its the one behind that hits it.

With the amount spent on smart motorways there ought to be better instant signage warning of stationary traffic and instructing anything not leasving at the junction to get into 2 or 3 well in advance.

What’s changed is the amount of morning and evening commuting on motorways which never existed on a lot of the network originally. In the eighties and even nineties if a job meant a commute to a motorway junction then a drive to even just the next junction most people would have got a nearer job.

Or instead of winging about “smart” motorways why don’t drivers just ■■■■■■■ concentrate on the road.

More pics.

5020F19300000578-6163479-image-a-6_1536844573245.jpg

5020F20B00000578-6163479-image-a-7_1536844575857.jpg

5020E79700000578-6163479-image-a-17_1536844781389.jpg

5020E78B00000578-6163479-image-a-5_1536844564672.jpg

I couldn’t see those badly damaged cars when I went past but saw the MAN on that low loader and assumed it was on the back of a recovery truck. That explains why I thought it didn’t look damaged.

That stretch of the motorway isn’t ‘smart’ anyway so that’s out of the equation, not that I agree with so called smart motorways anyway.
I always wonder why they don’t change the rules on queueing to exit the motorways. A34 off the M40 is the same. Why not use the hard shoulder as the exit lane when it’s stacked back off the slip road? Certainly no more dangerous than using them as live lanes surly?

image.jpeg
Last time I went down there sparks driver ran in to the 2 motors behind me .

It is a problem on all the commuter routes using motorway junctions .
Queuing traffic encroaching onto live lanes at junctions and the last second diving for the exit from the third lane often gives vehicles very little safety margin then the braking zone dissappears.
You all know the rest .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Indeed, the same happens all over the UK, the A1 at Newark has had several very bad accidents because of this, in the 7 years I have lived in this area…Too many people, not enough room.

SouthEastCashew:

Own Account Driver:

Or instead of winging about “smart” motorways why don’t drivers just [zb] concentrate on the road.

Definitely a good idea with everyone concentrating no-one will crash and we can get rid of seatbelts too.

There is clearly a growing issue, and has been for some time, with queuing traffic exceeding the length of sliproads. Ad campaign instructing drivers to put hazards on when stationary on the motorway would be a good and low cost start.

No mention of anyone being arrested, however I wouldn’t like to be the truck driver if you look at the skid marks

thats a j&b haulage lorry. i bought my wagon from them, seemed a well run firm. might ring him up in a week or 2 and ask him what happened… just to show trucknet csi how its done :grimacing:

It shouldn’t happen! Any exit junction which has regular daily queues on live lanes on duel carriageways and motorways should be urgently rectified!

Are there traffic lights on this exit junction ? Why can’t there be someone viewing on a camera keeping the lights at green until the traffic has dispursed or is that too difficult?

A17 Newark turn is the same. Amazing how there hasn’t been many more people killed.

Plenty of money for smart motorways though!!!

Highways agency are a bunch of ■■■■■■■ brain dead idiots.

It’s always been my habit,in circumstances where traffic is queueing or slowing like this to put on my 4 way flashers hopefully to forewarn following traffic and,if I stop,to leave a gap of 20 yards or so,until the vehicle behind me has acted on what I have done.
If I remember correctly from my euro driving days in Germany,when traffic was queueing at a motorway exit onto the motorway itself all traffic always queued on the hard shoulder and not on lane 1.Similarly they used to merge in like a zipper at queues without drama.Maybe it’s in the German highway code;maybe they were better mannered;maybe times have changed now.

Many many motorway and dual carriageway exit slips aren’t long enough now

The A14 has several junctions where traffic has to queue in lane one.

If this was a case of hitting stationary traffic, and bear in mind none of the cars in front of the lorry other than the ones on the hard shoulder have front end damage then you have to ask how it happened on a clear day on a straight piece of road.

And how a vehicle where the driver was above the line of sight of all the other vehicles that were hit didn’t see the queue.

Difficult to see how that would happen, and as no arrests have been made I’m not sure that was the case.

However, the back of the lorry has no visible damage either, and the skid marks seem to indicate he was the only vehicle to make contact with the others and no one subsequently hit him

TruckNet police sorting it out again, what would we do without them.