Serious accident m5 near bridgewater

Cosmic:

ajt:
Regardless of what happend here, there should be no standing traffic on any motorway in “normal” rush hour traffic in 2018.
If it does, it’s a clear sign of either poor traffic management or a junction which has exceeded its designed purpose.

Yes, junction 25 has exceeded its capacity, they are always on about it in the local rag. However, the main reason it queues is because they made a perfectly good road in to a bus lane (the old ilminster road which goes from Taunton in to the business park) so that traffic from Taunton has to go the entire circle of the M5 roundabout in order to access the offices /business park. The traffic coming from the Taunton town side of the motorway actually passes under the motorway twice (which is signal controlled) and in to the business park on the same side where they started from. This is the main reason for the rush hour congestion, it blocks the M5 southbound exit and entry. For this reason I would hold the council responsible for the incidents that are occurring now on the M5 (there are at least 2 or 3 minor ones each week).

Also of note from the pictures is that the accident occurred at the 1-mile signpost. I do not believe there was a mile of traffic in lane 1, but rather a delayed effect of vehicles braking, each one with a slightly later response than the vehicle in front, until you suddenly get a situation of emergency braking 1 mile from the junction.

I know I’ll be shot down as a member of the TruckNet CSI but I do live half a mile from the junction itself and I know exactly what happens there.

I know the junction very well and you hit the nail on the head, it’s also busy because it’s a main junction for Yeovil, Weymouth and the rest of the South coast.