Why do drivers hate cyclists

youtube.com/watch?v=JtV51NUtg4Y

Most my work is London and Cambridge, but this video is still eye opening how reckless cyclists can be!! They gamble their life for a few seconds gained, against our jobs and maybe a prison sentence.

I don’t hate them at all, there is just a select few that shouldn’t be on the road. They are all given plenty of space, respect and patience.

Everyone has the right to use the roads safely, even morons!

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

while i was waiting to cross the road to my house last night around 10 pm , 4 cyclist riding up the pavement outside my house ( there are no street lights that side) 2 with lights , 2 without , 1 had a hi viz though , everybody else in dark blue K+N uniform, onto the road and into the 4 way staggered junction ( no fancy go around , it was diagonally straight across ) , mind you in the same few minutes - 4 cars with 1 headlight , 1 car with 1 tail light , so invisible bikes and cars without headlights .

They wear Lycra and have names like Cuthbert and Lionel

1:33 just reinforces my belief that these people have no intent on maintaining self preservation :unamused: :open_mouth:

No need to ride around to film them, just stand at any light controlled junction and press record. As one who is in Central London at least twice a week with an artic, I can honestly say that the majority of cyclists are their own worse enemy. Nothing will change their habits and we as drivers will still take the brunt of all the flak regarding ‘killer lorries’ ect.

Cue ‘jakethesnake’ telling me that I have the wrong attitude and should not be driving heavy vehicles!

… If a cyclist does something stupid, like under-take a HGV pretty much anywhere, and ends up under it’s wheels - Cyclist probably gets killed, and Trucker gets the blame in the mindset of the general public, even if the driver is later cleared in court.

Until and unless coroners start stating “He/She Died because of their own stupid fault” at inquests - the public are just going to carry on believing that “all the sins of the world are on the shoulders of HGV drivers”… :frowning:

I guess we all have our 5th wheel to bear then.

Don’t worry guys, us all doing cycling proficiency as part of our DCPC is fixing the problem, according to the loonies with the power to make such decisions at least… :unamused:

Cycling needs to be regulated in some way in major city centres. For cyclists own safety for one as many seem to be clueless of the dangers they put them self in, also safety of pedestrians. Should a cyclist be fined for running a zebra crossing whilst pedestrians are using it? Yes! And also if there was some regulation then it would mean cyclist would also have to be accountable when something goes wrong rather than the current attitude which seems to be cyclists are immune from blame and regardless of what happened it’s easier to blame the professional driver who’s taking up “more than his fair share of the road” :unamused:

Laws and regulations already exist don’t they?
If they are never enforced it’s useless having them though.
Many people don’t drive at 30mph in town because the law says they must. They drive at 30 because an envelope demanding a fine drops through the door if they don’t.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I’ve said it before, driving through London with all the cyclists is like being told to drive your lorry through a busy children’s playground and having to cop the blame (guilty till proven innocent) for any inevitable accidents.

Franglais:
Laws and regulations already exist don’t they?
If they are never enforced it’s useless having them though.
Many people don’t drive at 30mph in town because the law says they must. They drive at 30 because an envelope demanding a fine drops through the door if they don’t.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I said in cities it should be more regulated in terms of some sort of licence, or tax, or an insurance? With an identity like a vehicle reg on the bike. That way it would be easier to actually hold cyclists accountable when it’s them in the wrong or when they’ve something stupid. At the moment it’s nearly impossible to trace a cyclist. They may think twice about being so stupid if they know the police can trace them for offences.

There is no chance of them bringing anything like licensing & mandatory insurance for cyclists. It’s a logical idea, but in reality it stops people just being able to hop on a bike and go… (Boris bikes etc.) and ultimately will create a cost for cycling when there is currently none. Not the best idea when the government is (rightly) trying to actively encourage uptake in cycling.

Until they can get the infrastructure in order, cyclists doing as they like is just something to be tolerated. It’s better for traffic they are on a bike than in a car/taxi and they are certainly highly unlikely to kill anybody other than themselves.

rob22888:
There is no chance of them bringing anything like licensing & mandatory insurance for cyclists. It’s a logical idea, but in reality it stops people just being able to hop on a bike and go… (Boris bikes etc.) and ultimately will create a cost for cycling when there is currently none. Not the best idea when the government is (rightly) trying to actively encourage uptake in cycling.

Until they can get the infrastructure in order, cyclists doing as they like is just something to be tolerated. It’s better for traffic they are on a bike than in a car/taxi and they are certainly highly unlikely to kill anybody other than themselves.

I know. Would never happen. Just a nice idea.

Reported in the national press today that a woman crossing the road was struck by a cyclist in london.Cyclist fell off his bike,remounted and carried on with his journey.Woman died later from her injuries and a man has been arrested.
Over the years i recall several instances of pedestrians being killed by cyclists.In Cornwall(?)a couple of years ago a cyclist was reported as shouting"get out of the way"before hitting a group of people causing the death of one.
The holier than thou attitude of some of the lycra brigade in circumstances similar to those above is difficult to comprehend.

Twoninety88:
No need to ride around to film them, just stand at any light controlled junction and press record. As one who is in Central London at least twice a week with an artic, I can honestly say that the majority of cyclists are their own worse enemy. Nothing will change their habits and we as drivers will still take the brunt of all the flak regarding ‘killer lorries’ ect.

Cue ‘jakethesnake’ telling me that I have the wrong attitude and should not be driving heavy vehicles!

Lets get this right 88. The post you are talking about certainly did sound like you had a bad attitude towards cyclists.
Even now you are putting the blame on them and taking it away from drivers.
The fact that some drivers want to put all the blame on cyclists is wrong.
Yes a lot of them are idiots but so are a lot of drivers especially their attitude towards cyclists . Hate is unfortunately a common feeling between the two and attitudes need to change on both sides. Do you not agree 88?

jakethesnake:

Twoninety88:

Lets get this right 88. The post you are talking about certainly did sound like you had a bad attitude towards cyclists.
Even now you are putting the blame on them and taking it away from drivers.
The fact that some drivers want to put all the blame on cyclists is wrong.
Yes a lot of them are idiots but so are a lot of drivers especially their attitude towards cyclists . Hate is unfortunately a common feeling between the two and attitudes need to change on both sides. Do you not agree 88?

You must have watched a different video to me.

Let me put it this way. My lorry has additional mirrors, low level windows, rear facing cameras, side sensors, warning alarms, flashing lights, beepers and warning signs and I’ve had additional training. None of that would have made the slightest difference in keeping the cyclists in them clips safe.

The reason so many cyclists die on the road is because they’ve never had any training or proved their competent enough to be there.

When ever I go aroind central London which is a lot. Yes bikes are a pain. But I hate motorbikes mopeds on London. They just speed around in and out down both sides of you…least with pedal bikes there slow can see them. But.mopeds etc just appear at speed from.noware .
And I’m a biker on my days off

Edd, not all bikers do that…
I think the problem is when the bad cyclists meet the bad drivers… unfortunately there’s an increasing amount of reckless road users in trucks and on two wheels. All the extra features on lorries and silly training does make it safer for the sensible lot. Also does a good job of keeping us out of prison.

They do need some campaign aimed at cycling safely though… start fining them for dangerous driving, running lights, crossings and riding without lights etc.

There’s enough laws in place to protect everyone… it just needs enforcement.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

End of.the day .
cyclist bikers car drivers truckers. Are all.in a rush to get from a to b . And a minority will do anything they can to gain a few extra seconds. Giving the rest a bad name.

It’s a sad reflection on the way society is now.
Every one for them selves. And always in a rush .head down on there phones. Earphones in unaware what’s going on around them