Be afriad be very very afriad

After 6 or so weeks of relative bliss it’s gone ■■■■ up, back to peril and fear …

… Of the school run mum, the sight of a C-Max, owned by the now seasoned veteran whose kids have done a couple of years with folded in mirror and brake light as the car is abandoned to let little Cory and Kourtney walk the 4 yards through the gates,
Then there’s the new starters, mum rolling up in a Kia Sportage thinking they need a 4x4 to go up the kerb and ruin the grass verge, the poverty spec 17 plate on the never never that come without Bluetooth so the phone is firmly fixed to their hand, Add that to the muppets who are powered by fairydust and it’s a tough time ahead for us drivers,

Stay safe people, these mums turn into irate beasts when you notify them of their errors whilst they have their precious offspring in the car.

On the plus side .we deliver a lot of building supplies to schools during the 6 weeks and is a nightmare. Now there back won’t be doing as much to them thank god

Even worse is the eco-loon mummy, clumsily wobbling around a side street with 2 kids in a bakfiets that will use just as much road space as her Tiguan (well she needs one to get to the holiday home twice a year).

Would be much less hassle to just walk the half mile to school, but who would notice? At least it’ll only be for a few weeks, at the first sign of rain, Jocasta and Jonty will be warm and dry in the motor, and the ungainly contraption will be on Gumtree.

There is one at our local primary school.

White range rover with personalised misplaced number plate, actually lives three roads from the school but drives there and always parks on the zigzags.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What about the beetles with big ugly eyelashes on lol. Normally coupled with the fluffiest steering wheel cover that makes a pimps coat look classy lol.

I remember as a kid, a mum down the road from me used to start her car at 8.10am then go back into the house (warm the car up for little Robert). At 8.20am she would drive up the road 50yds, reverse into a side road, then drive downhill 150yds to the school gates. After dropping little Robert off, she would then perform a 3 point turn, drive 50yds home then park up until it was pick up time at 3.30pm. She would do the same thing again in the afternoon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
I remember as a kid, a mum down the road from me used to start her car at 8.10am then go back into the house (warm the car up for little Robert). At 8.20am she would drive up the road 50yds, reverse into a side road, then drive downhill 150yds to the school gates. After dropping little Robert off, she would then perform a 3 point turn, drive 50yds home then park up until it was pick up time at 3.30pm. She would do the same thing again in the afternoon.

I think you should be a bit more understanding in your observations.
Not everyone is equally endowed or as physically equipped as the rest of us. We should make allowances for those who only have half a brain.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:

I thought that way going to end up "One morning she came back out at 8.20 to find the car was gone,a couple of local scroats in hoodies, out on the rob looking to score their next source of some gear, could’nt believe the gift that had been presented to them in the form of a six month old Evoque* with the keys in and engine running, it all but had a neon sign on the roof flashing “STEAL ME!”

*Audi A5, BMW X5, Jaguar F Pace, Ford Kuga Delete as appropriate

No one living…

In an urban environment actually needs a Range Rover. It is the ultimate status symbol. It’s wasteful, near on impossible to park, has more blindspots than an oil tanker and guzzles fuel like a battle ready Hummer. It’s laughable to see mum, Tarquin and Chardonnay doing their bit for the planet by taking all the empty bottles to the bottle bank in a car that’s just consumed more of the planet than the waste they’re recycling.

Walk you idle ■■■■■■■ WALK!

yourhavingalarf:
No one living…

In an urban environment actually needs a Range Rover. It is the ultimate status symbol. It’s wasteful, near on impossible to park, has more blindspots than an oil tanker and guzzles fuel like a battle ready Hummer. It’s laughable to see mum, Tarquin and Chardonnay doing their bit for the planet by taking all the empty bottles to the bottle bank in a car that’s just consumed more of the planet than the waste they’re recycling.

Walk you idle [zb] WALK!

In London, I’m noticing a bit of regression! Remember when Volvo estates were the choice of vehicle who wanted to appear to be “old money”? They would “drive” them around in the manner they imagined the landed gentry would (at everybody). They would also usually have a 2nd car, normally a Golf or 3 Series around the 10 year old mark.

Well as evolution has continued, the motor of choice for the older aspirant city squire is now the XC90, complete with mud splatters (from the weekends in the Cotswolds) and a 3-monthly wash interval. Bonus points for a 15 year old E46 on the drive too.

They look at the owners of Range Rovers as gauche wannabees, conveniently forgetting that they’re looking at themselves a few years ago :laughing:

Every rich person I know as in actually owe nobody anything and have six figure bank accounts and not just a good line of credit tend to drive around in old cars. Last guy I worked for is minted and runs around in a 12 year old Lexus with over 200,000 on the clock. He took me to go pick up a brand new van and was on about how when he took his car into the Lexus dealership they offered him a new one and the way he looked at it was that he’d blow £50k on a new Lexus just to end up driving around in it just exactly the same as his 12 year old one.

Funnily enough thats exactly how I felt the first day I drove to work after spending £9k on a nearly new Mondeo to replace the 10 year old 168,000 mile one I had which ran absolutely fine, wondering why the hell I’d wasted the money. Thankfully I’ve learned the lesson so although I’ve had my current Mondy 7 years and done 100k in it its not going anywhere any time soon.

I would be afriad if I knew what afriad actually was :smiley:

Sorry, I’m being pedantic, I’m back at work tonight after 10 days off and I’ve got one on me :cry:

Conor:
Every rich person I know as in actually owe nobody anything and have six figure bank accounts and not just a good line of credit tend to drive around in old cars. Last guy I worked for is minted and runs around in a 12 year old Lexus with over 200,000 on the clock. He took me to go pick up a brand new van and was on about how when he took his car into the Lexus dealership they offered him a new one and the way he looked at it was that he’d blow £50k on a new Lexus just to end up driving around in it just exactly the same as his 12 year old one.

Funnily enough thats exactly how I felt the first day I drove to work after spending £9k on a nearly new Mondeo to replace the 10 year old 168,000 mile one I had which ran absolutely fine, wondering why the hell I’d wasted the money. Thankfully I’ve learned the lesson so although I’ve had my current Mondy 7 years and done 100k in it its not going anywhere any time soon.

Not suggesting I have a six figure bank account but in the car thing…

I out a £200 retainer on a near new Mondeo which would’ve cost nigh on 20k. That night I wondered why I was doing this so I can drive two miles to work to park it all day or for a few days to drive two miles home again to park it on the drive when my 13yr old Focus does exactly that.

So I cancelled. Ok I lost £200 but still… .

I actually agree with Conor for once, a close acquaintance runs about in 10 year old cars, all paid for, he has bought and sold the company he founded several times, he sells for 7 and 8 figure numbers and buys it back for 5 figures, his house is rundown too, he has mongrel dogs and doesn’t dress well

Meanwhile the new mummies in Shoreditch will be delivering Prudence and Percival to school in an electric Lexus [emoji23]

Wheel Nut:
I actually agree with Conor for once, a close acquaintance runs about in 10 year old cars, all paid for, he has bought and sold the company he founded several times, he sells for 7 and 8 figure numbers and buys it back for 5 figures, his house is rundown too, he has mongrel dogs and doesn’t dress well

Meanwhile the new mummies in Shoreditch will be delivering Prudence and Percival to school in an electric Lexus [emoji23]

Yep same here , I’m replacing a 10year old Focus with a 13 year old C max , because the Focus is Diesel and sits all week and in the winter takes an age to warm up , were as the C max is petrol and heats up a lot quick also both have the quick clear screen

For work…

I drive a low mileage, 3 pedals, cassette radio, povery pack 2002 Vauxhall Boredom.

If I need to go south or north to see friends or visit someone in prison, I rent the biggest ■■■■ off car I can get from Enterprise or Avis. I then drive around carving up lorry drivers behaving like I have buckets of dosh (or a Range Rover as a second car).

blue estate:

Wheel Nut:

Yep same here , I’m replacing a 10year old Focus with a 13 year old C max , because the Focus is Diesel and sits all week and in the winter takes an age to warm up , were as the C max is petrol and heats up a lot quick also both have the quick clear screen

And petrol is so much cheaper unless you drive a lorry [emoji23]

yourhavingalarf:
For work…

I drive a low mileage, 3 pedals, cassette radio, povery pack 2002 Vauxhall Boredom.

If I need to go south or north to see friends or visit someone in prison, I rent the biggest [zb] off car I can get from Enterprise or Avis. I then drive around carving up lorry drivers behaving like I have buckets of dosh (or a Range Rover as a second car).

I landed my helicopter in Norberts Garden and Eddies bungalow on the same day

Wheel Nut:

yourhavingalarf:
For work…

If I need to go south or north to see friends or visit someone in prison, I rent the biggest [zb] off car I can get from Enterprise or Avis. I then drive around carving up lorry drivers behaving like I have buckets of dosh (or a Range Rover as a second car).

I landed my helicopter in Norberts Garden and Eddies bungalow on the same day

How’s it going Roger? Still got the band? :laughing:

Most of the wealthy folk I know have light aircraft/helicopter and some very snazzy cars/bikes for when they want a bit of fun…None of them drive for any distance in this country, not viable.

I have worked for minted folk who have been working class and done well, they usually subscribe to the same cars used by the most dysfunctional family the world has known…Range Rovers etc.

The only folk I have known that have driven old cars when seriously minted, have been old money…

These people are the same as us, all different.

As for the school run, should be made law that you have to live within 2 miles of your school and walk, the financial benefits to the country would be enormous.