Cycle event

Is there anyone one here who would ride their bike on a dual carriageway.

Yes I know you’re allowed to, but does it really feel that safe?

So who in their right mind decides, “I know, let’s have a bike time trial thingy or whatever they’re called on the A50”!!!

When I was involved with time trials they were held early on Sunday mornings. This was 45 years ago mainly on the Dundee to Perth dual carriageway. I still cycle but avoid the main roads as much as possible.

As a truck driver and a cyclist (on my days off) I have always thought it absolutely ridiculous that cyclists are allowed on dual carriage ways.
I fail to see why if they (we) are banned on motorways then why not dc’s. The speed of vehicles is invariably the same on both roads but usually even less room on dc’s.

I ride on DC’s once a week at the minute,usually to get to some decent country roads. I rode for almost a year from Lichfield to Solihull for work using the A38/A446.

I recall only one incident riding home after a nightshift where a coach passed me with inches to spare, to this day I’m sure the driver never saw me and missed me by chance.

I try to avoid them where possible but don’t worry about using them or feel unsafe.

Will_161:

So who in their right mind decides, “I know, let’s have a bike time trial thingy or whatever they’re called on the A50”!!!

Yeah, I’ve ridden a pushbike from Edmonton to Kew, on the A406. I wouldn’t recommend it though.

Cycle club are trying to get approval for one on the A63 but Highways are saying no. The cycle club claim its safe but one of their number a while back was paying so much attention to what was going on around him that he rode into a caravan which was stopped in the road because it had broken down so fast he killed himself. Bit hard to claim your participants are paying attention when one piles straight into something 8ft square and bright white on a straight road.

yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/cy … -1-5952169

Also took my MX5 out for a spin and was unfortunate enough to end up on the route a local triathalon was using for the cycle portion. I had to stop in a village for a car ahead turning onto their drive and a racer behind me nearly rode into the back of my car.

Will_161:

Take it this was round the Derby/uttoxeter area?
Have it quite often there…
Ridiculous how push bikes are banned off motorways but not duel carriageways imo

Wouldn’t even want to take my motorbike on a dual carriageway if I could avoid it. I’ve not taken it on the motorway either - don’t see the point. It’s for fun not commuting.

Push bike… not a chance. I’ve still got a bad knee from being knocked off about a month ago.

sammym:
Wouldn’t even want to take my motorbike on a dual carriageway if I could avoid it. I’ve not taken it on the motorway either - don’t see the point. It’s for fun not commuting.

Push bike… not a chance. I’ve still got a bad knee from being knocked off about a month ago.

Mopeds not allowed on the motorway :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

sammym:

Mopeds not allowed on the motorway :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I live just off the A50 near to where these events take place these have been going on for years as long as I can remember I am both a cyclist and a runner and run with a retired traffic officer who is a member of my running club and he has had discussions with these crazy people who think it’s sensible to race up the A50 ! And doing no wrong! :blush: and think there doing no wrong ! There’s also been a smiliar thread on my village social media page regarding this .

I’m sure there was a fatality a few years back near dove valley park on the A50 during one of these events I personally think events like this need to be stopped on the A50 and surrounding A roads as there now to busy and congested! The A50 is a main arterial route between the M6 and M1 and also villages like I live in aren’t small sleepy places now with the amount of development that has took place recently.

The worst zbs are these low down ones that they lie on ,wtf death wish or what ?

Certainly not in the UK with the way some car and truck drivers act. Aggressive and pass far too close. Lethal, just asking to be wiped out no matter how good a cyclist you are!

Time trails, are a regular thing on the A1 from Buckden all the way down to Biggleswade, during the summer, they base themselves at Tempsford village hall, I know there’s been one death, been going on for years, they have photographer’s, Marshalls on the roundabouts, .

biggriffin:
Time trails, are a regular thing on the A1 from Buckden all the way down to Biggleswade, during the summer, they base themselves at Tempsford village hall, I know there’s been one death, been going on for years, they have photographer’s, Marshalls on the roundabouts, .

Same as in the A50 and these ■■■■■■■ clown dimwit Marshall’s actually try and stop the traffic to allow the cyclists clear passages through the roundabouts :open_mouth:
Like ■■■■ I was stopping for some Roy Cropper look alike in a hi viz commanding me to stop so the cyclist coming from the left had a clear run!!!

xichrisxi:
Like [zb] I was stopping for some Roy Cropper look alike in a hi viz commanding me to stop so the cyclist coming from the left had a clear run!!!

PMSL at that mental picture :smiley:
Hayley stood behind him sayin “Coom on Roy, let em past, it´s not good for yer éart!”

steviespain:

xichrisxi:
Like [zb] I was stopping for some Roy Cropper look alike in a hi viz commanding me to stop so the cyclist coming from the left had a clear run!!!

PMSL at that mental picture :smiley:
Hayley stood behind him sayin “Coom on Roy, let em past, it´s not good for yer éart!”

:laughing:
Seriously it’s a joke,one of the busiest duel carrgieways in the region and these clowns expect every one to stop on his command for mr lycra clad who’s still 200 yards away from the roundabout coming from the left and going straight over…balls to his time trial he’s using the road so abide by the road rules,give way to traffic from the right at roundabouts!!

It’s no wonder there are such problems with the attitudes of most. Drivers and Cyclists need to show some respect for each other.
But NO. Its slag each other everytime when in actual fact usally both parties are as bad as each other. :unamused:

xichrisxi:

Will_161:

Take it this was round the Derby/uttoxeter area?
Have it quite often there…
Ridiculous how push bikes are banned off motorways but not duel carriageways imo

Yes it was, around 3pm. Like you’ve said, they were suicidal approaching the roundabouts, couldn’t give a ■■■■, straight out trying to thread the needle.

They weren’t bunched up either, lone riders every 5 or so hundred yards apart. Then you’d get a half mile gap, then one on his own again.
Didn’t help the ■■■■ in an Audi who tried to accelerate into the gap that I was indicating to move into in the second lane, he’d been plodding along at about 60 until he noticed me indicating and suddenly got a case of mustgetinfrontlorryitis.

Total joke. Donington Park opens the track for cyclists, they have all the timing and split timing you need but the Lycra cyclists can’t manage the children passing them on one wheel