Driver Assisted Unload / Load?

When I was being trained not too many years back, I was told by the trainer and the experienced driver I was working with that Drivers should NOT be unloading, unless otherwise specified in the job, (e.g. store deliveries, Aldi distribution, etc)
Over my few years, most being agency, I’ve come across a few surprised deliveries where I had to assist the unload. In most cases it tests my ‘human decency’. I turned up at a family run store, delivering flat pack oak furniture from a container. A single slim lad turns up, no forks, no ramp. Handball unloading a 20 foot container, his mum turns up, heavily pregnant. The dad (owner), on holiday. What to do? (I helped the unload).

The other day took the absolute ■■■■. Turned up at a Wholesale Veg Market place, 40 foot container, packed with pallets of potatoes. I figure they’ll get the boys on it, so I get disappear for a ■■■■. I come back and the guy is waiting for me, “Whenever your ready”. So had to palletise the tight pallets down (insanely ridiculous effort) as he forklifts them off. What almost had me launch a potato at his head was the fact he came over as I was taking my break and told me I couldn’t do it here. So it was ok to park here while I helped him unload for 2 hours, but an extra 30 mins for myself I not allowed!

Anyone ever refused to ‘help’? Think a lot of these places are taking the ■■■■, literally have no provisions if you don’t help them. What happens if you refuse? Take the load back? They rearrange delivery when they have the facilities to unload by themselves? I don’t so much care about being ‘fired’, I just wonder if I simply can’t be assed with this surprise workout, what happens?

I guess you could contact your office and get them to look into the contract that’s been formed between them, the customer, and the haulier. If it doesn’t say driver to assist then say well your not doing it. If it does driver to assist then you may well do it but tell your office you want to be informed in advance in future so your able to plan your break accordingly. Ie one before and one after you tip :laughing:

i’ve read on here somewhere that there is a different policy for short sea container’s compared to deep sea with the unloading.

DickyNick:
I guess you could contact your office and get them to look into the contract that’s been formed between them, the customer, and the haulier. If it doesn’t say driver to assist then say well your not doing it. If it does driver to assist then you may well do it but tell your office you want to be informed in advance in future so your able to plan your break accordingly. Ie one before and one after you tip :laughing:

This kind of thing makes me wonder, what if a 60 year old geezer with a busted back turned up? Wouldn’t be surprised if there was some backhand dealing between the agency and the haulier. “Can you send us a young fresh guy, who won’t complain about some physical work…don’t tell him tho”
Risky since I feel I’d be in the full right to just say, “No”, who’s paying for the failed delivery?! Won’t be me.

Shellshocker:

DickyNick:

This kind of thing makes me wonder, what if a 60 year old geezer with a busted back turned up? Wouldn’t be surprised if there was some backhand dealing between the agency and the haulier. “Can you send us a young fresh guy, who won’t complain about some physical work…don’t tell him tho”
Risky since I feel I’d be in the full right to just say, “No”, who’s paying for the failed delivery?! Won’t be me.

I’ve walked off a job before as they expected me to pull overweight cages on my own. I told them I would only go out with a drivers mate, turned up and was alone so handed them the keys back and went home. If more drivers did that then it wouldn’t happen. But they don’t.

I would have made the phone call and either negotiated a deal that helped me buy the wife something or let the shipper and the consignee come to some agreement. Do it before you unload though!

No idea some of 'em.

About once a week i used to get a nice little drop outskirts of that London, the other bods that went there refused to help and just sat in the cab, i helped and for 30 mins work used to get a large latte stuck in me mitt and a £20 or £25 bung off the gaffer, i ended up with the job regular so happy days.

Juddian:
No idea some of 'em.

About once a week i used to get a nice little drop outskirts of that London, the other bods that went there refused to help and just sat in the cab, i helped and for 30 mins work used to get a large latte stuck in me mitt and a £20 or £25 bung off the gaffer, i ended up with the job regular so happy days.

This post wouldn’t exist if they compensated me for the help. Sneaky £20 in my pocket for the help is FAR cheaper then hiring another bod to do it ‘officially’, even asking nicely, offer me a cuppa or some water at least. It’s just the fact some of these places think YOUR job as the driver to unload it and they’re helping you.

Tell em to go do one,if you ain’t got no one to unload I’ll wait in me cab till you do,in the mean time your be charged for demourage, if it’s short sea some times it’s on the cmr,so you cant really argue. Gust make up some old bull you got bad leg or some think,I got a pin in my shoulder,so I show them that and go sit in the cab,or negotiate with them say get me some one to help and if they refuse the ball’s in there court

Hi Did a last minute job for bookers to “corner shops” never again over stacked cages up kerbs pretty much expected to put the stuff on the shelves no help at all … never again

also i try to avoid brake bros class 2 delivering to pubs and resteraunts i always insist on a second man even then its hard going so how the hell do the guys who go on their own manage i dont know

Always carry a bit of strapping tape.

Strap 2 fingers together and say

“ sorry fella broken fingers “

Done it a few times :wink:

I’ve come across this on a handful of times with container work.

It’s quite simple, drivers do not assist with the unloading of containers, we are just drivers - period. Only exception is if there is a special agreement in place, which I have never personally come across in my dealings with deep sea containers & handball jobs.

Any problems and the haulier is well within their rights to pull out (fully paid by the shipping line) and the customer will pay for redelivery.

I feel bad sometimes & it can be awkward, but i know full well if I committed to helping with a handball tip I’d be sick of it after 20 minutes. It’s some of the most tedious labour you can do.

Wholesale fruit markets have always been self tip, it’s slowly changing at some places regarding container deliveries (usually bulk deliveries, onions/spuds/bananas)
Most will want you in the back to tip, if it’s heavy tell them you need help I always do, stating that I’m not pulling my plums off whilst he sits staring.
Failing that refuse til he does help, trust me the salesman wants those goods to sell, erm unless it’s onions then you’ll wait hours.
Rule of thumb in markets is help be polite but don’t let them take the proverbial.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Scottgfc:
Wholesale fruit markets have always been self tip, it’s slowly changing at some places regarding container deliveries (usually bulk deliveries, onions/spuds/bananas)
Most will want you in the back to tip, if it’s heavy tell them you need help I always do, stating that I’m not pulling my plums off whilst he sits staring.
Failing that refuse til he does help, trust me the salesman wants those goods to sell, erm unless it’s onions then you’ll wait hours.
Rule of thumb in markets is help be polite but don’t let them take the proverbial.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This could turn into a fun thread, forkie gets a tenner and he unloads and delivers the load to each customer in the market [emoji23]

if its boxes then its not my prob and its a backhander or my times spent examining the inside of my eyelids till there finshed.
if everyones busting there nuts then no probs,but not if they are taking the ■■■■ or stating its my responsibility.
for anything else,then ive no probs handballing so long as it suits me and alls fair with helpers.
i quite often tip tyres and never prob slinging them off 1 at a time as theres always room for a bit of fun trying to make the lads run after them or make them have to duck.
but on a jobsworth company type run,then its doors open and refuse delivery if it suits you mate,just do your phone calls and let me know when to close the doors.

During my time on Palletforce we used to get all sorts. Most deliveries, there would be an FLT, although sometimes if there was no driver I would tip myself. We used to do rubber granules for playground surfaces and they were nearly always handball - 25kg bags, stacked six feet high on a pallet. Sliding them off was a lot easier than catching them a carrying them to where they were needed though.

The only time I put my foot down was when some guy would have a look and say “Put em over there drive, and wander off…” “Sorry mate - I will get it off the truck but that’s where it stops…” I knew that the office would back me up so I was okay.

Deliveries to private houses were always interesting. It was usually something they had bought on the internet and they frequently had unrealistic expectations of what we would (or could) do. Set up the 50" TV? Sorry luv. Put the new cooker in the kitchen? Nope… Assemble the kiddies playground? That was a complete set of swing, slide, climbing frame, springy things to sit on etc for a kindergarten. The salesman had promised them that the delivery driver would assemble it all and fix it in place. Sorry Missis - Give them a call and tell them to sort it out.

m.a.n rules:
i’ve read on here somewhere that there is a different policy for short sea container’s compared to deep sea with the unloading.

True, it’s not by any means uncommon on Short Sea, although these days generally has to be booked in advance so the shipper can charge extra, so it should say on the paperwork somewhere. If not, check before doing it, but unlike Deep Sea you’ll likely find you will be insured to get in the back.

Delivers to asda Newcastle ,ftd said cut the seal and open doors which I did ,then got back in cab.took back 2 pallets off drove up to me and said you getting in back,nope ain’t my job,well if you had told me I would not have taken them pallets off,me you ain’t putting back on either, there yours now,went got the manager he said what’s the prob,I said I ain’t pulling 1 ton pallets on me own,he asked if he gets help would I help,no prob with that,I did help the fellow a little bit

No wonder so many drivers are obese!
I’ve been delivering tyres for the last year and a half, up to 1200 tyres to handball off and I love the physical side of the job. If your old or injured etc then I understand and sympathise, but for me it’s a good workout, in fact I’ve gone down a trouser size since I’ve been doing this job.

I used drive flat bed. Delivering doors buuilding supplies to fitters on sites.
I used ways get on back pass stuff to fitters. Did delivery once went good. Got back called into office a fitter hurt himself I passed him a box he dropped it on his foot wasn’t wearing safety boots. Box wasn’t heavy he carried on .
Anyway was told company policy is fitters offload wagon I have to stand and watch.
I argued saying my wagon I’m trained to get on back etc fitters arnt.
But no policy is there stuff they have to offload it. I said what if fitter slips falls off wagon. Was told tough luck there problem not ours.
You just watch them offload.
Did feel.guilty but after few days I started helping out again. As gets me out of cab and some exercise. I can’t sit in my cab watch people struggle