Map Recommendation Please

Which Atlas is everyone using?

I’m a newbie and not bought one yet.

Is this the best:
amazon.co.uk/Philips-2019-N … atlas+2019

I have the aa truckers atlas but i believe they all do the same job.

I use the AA Trucker’s one with bridge heights, I find the other one too spread out scale wise. (in conjunction with a bog standard car sat nav as a guide.)
Many will come on and tel you to spend 300 + quid of your hard earned on an all singing all dancing sat nav and ditch the atlas.
You decide. :bulb:

robroy:
I use the AA Trucker’s one with bridge heights, (in conjunction with a bog standard car sat nav as a guide.)
Many will come on and tel you to spend 300 + quid of your hard earned on an all singing all dancing sat nav and ditch the atlas.

Same here

Same here
[/quote]

Drempels:

robroy:
I use the AA Trucker’s one with bridge heights, (in conjunction with a bog standard car sat nav as a guide.)

Same here

Beanbonce:
I have the aa truckers atlas but i believe they all do the same job.

Cheers guys :smiley:

I also use AA truckers one,I got it a couple of year ago direct from AA website for under a tenner if that helps…

I seem to remember the Philips Navigator was the one we used to find farms as the scale it used meant much more detail, the disadvantage is each page covers a smaller area, so not so good for planning over a larger area.

This has the same scale as the AA map, but no idea if it’s better or as good as the AA one.

The Philips and AA atlases are OK as far as they go (I have the Philips one). They are great for planning your route between cities and have the vast majority of the low bridges and weight restricted bridges covered, BUT (and it’s a biggie) they are woefully inadequate where 7.5 tonne weight restrictions are concerned. Truck satnavs are far from perfect, but in my experience they have far more detailed weight limit information than any of the atlases. Same applies to width restrictions - they are all over the place in e.g. London, but hardly any of them are shown in the atlases (nor indeed are they shown on the CoPilot mobile phone App).

I use Google maps.

I have an all.singing all dancing truck satnav.

I have various city A to Z maps.

I also have the AA truckers atlas.

And I use them all :open_mouth:

Contrary to popular belief you can use more than one thing. I use to do London multi-drop pre sat nav with an A to Z :open_mouth:

Just be aware not all bridge height maps show bridges on weight limited roads , I use the £1.99 map from Morrison petrol station as well as a quick look on the bridge one too this save wearing out the more expensive bridge height map .

I have the Phillips truck map. Tbf I don’t carry it with me, I’ll only go fetch it out of the car if I think I’m going to need it. (I never have). I use google maps and my all singing and dancing sat nav. Go to Morrison’s and get the 1.99 map, just as useful and you will find it takes up less space, so you will probably carry it with you more.

Not tried the AA one but i know the Phillips one is missing low bridges on very minor roads, those showing white on the map. For example the one near my house is missing, but then so is a sign at the tip of the road.

Sat navs biggest advantage is traffic updates and map updates as many maps are 2+ years out of date but tgats another argument.

i use the caravan and camping atlas, which is by Philips a navigator one that shows 6290 bridge heights, 1477 bridge weight limits, 256 bridge width limits, as well as fixed cameras etc, also if running solo a lot of campsites will let you in, good showers most have shops and some have food and drink. yes not much use for long hauls as there is too much info on the pages, but like a sat nav you should only really need it when you get near your destination,

Get a satnav and do what 99% of drivers do in the real world.

hotel magnum:
i use the caravan and camping atlas, which is by Philips a navigator one that shows 6290 bridge heights, 1477 bridge weight limits, 256 bridge width limits, as well as fixed cameras etc, also if running solo a lot of campsites will let you in, good showers most have shops and some have food and drink. yes not much use for long hauls as there is too much info on the pages, but like a sat nav you should only really need it when you get near your destination,

I’ve got a 2009 France map it’s ace ,shows weight limits and bridges plus very detailed ,also using a 2005 Europe map , I always draw circles on where I’ve been its helps when going to other places ,not something the sat navster can relate too :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

hotel magnum:

I’ve got a 2009 France map it’s ace ,shows weight limits and bridges plus very detailed ,also using a 2005 Europe map , I always draw circles on where I’ve been its helps when going to other places ,not something the sat navster can relate too :laughing:

I do that too, it works! I’ve got the France map (the really detailed one) from about 2000, no good to me any more cos my days of doing that commercially are gone, but I’ll never get rid of it. Sometimes I just flick through it and reminisce. Sad or what? :laughing:

You don’t need a atlas. You have a sat nav use it.

General rule of thumb when planning your route is
Stick to motorways/A roads for as long as practical.
That’s really it. If a road looks dodgy don’t go down it.
If a bridge is too small don’t go under it.
If you see a 7.5t zone well… Just ignore it.

Basically im saying your prat Nav has a map on it usually with a overlay showing weight and height restrictions just use that to plan your route.

I’m saying all this because I’m assuming your newish to truck driving and some old ■■■■ has probably suggested you get one if in fact I’m wrong and you are someone who enjoys using maps feel free to Ignore me.

Google maps works for most situations, if it were me, I wouldn’t bother buying a map. You don’t need it. I am old enough to remember the pre satnav days when we carried 2 bags of az’s along with our work bag. I have no wish to return to those days! Some progress is a good thing.

best map u can buy

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I’ve not carried a paper map for years.