Is 57 too old to come back to driving?

As the title suggests I am thinking of giving up my current office base job, that i’m sick to death of, to go back to driving for a living.
I am aware of the longer hours, lower pay, less holidays and benefits etc. But my main concern is will anyone take me on at the age of 58 after a 10 year absence from HGV driving?

Lots of drivers have had extended periods away and then gone back to driving so I can’t see why it would be a problem.

So long as your work ethic is right they’ll be welcoming you with open arms.

No, and I say that as an employer.

JRS:
As the title suggests I am thinking of giving up my current office base job, that i’m sick to death of, to go back to driving for a living.
I am aware of the longer hours, lower pay, less holidays and benefits etc. But my main concern is will anyone take me on at the age of 58 after a 10 year absence from HGV driving?

I don’t know about the lower pay, less holidays and benefits etc , because the firm that I have been on for , for the last 12 years tend to look after their employees. Needless to say, they are an own account company, not involved in road haulage . . sorry logistics :blush:

When I was made redundant in my 50s, and after failing to get back into management, I found that going back to my old trade was the best move I could have made. I signed on with an agency and they put me on a contract that guaranteed me five days work a week. OK - I got the rubbish work to start off with but I was re-learning how it’s done and soon I was being offered the better jobs.

My experience was that employers preferred a man in his 50s to one 30 years younger because we were seen as being more reliable. The money was okay and the jobs easy, so I stuck with it, eventually being recruited by one of their customers.

albion:

Prehaps for your type of work, then yes, but to do rdc type back on bay, sit in the naghty boy room, then the op could get a job,…

Just look at some of the so called drovers we see day in day out, the op can’t be any worse…

Speaking as a 62 year old that last week returned to Class 1 driving after a 15 year break. I have to say no, your not to old and judging by my experience you should have problems finding work.
The thing that surprised me most was how quickly it all came back too me even the reversing, although I did have sweaty palms as l pulled out of the yard at 4 am on my first morning

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Your age is no problem at all. I only started driving at 58. Plenty of well aid work

Yes, far too old.

Go home and mow the lawn.

biggriffin:

albion:

Prehaps for your type of work, then yes, but to do rdc type back on bay, sit in the naghty boy room, then the op could get a job,…

Just look at some of the so called drovers we see day in day out, the op can’t be any worse…

Biggriffin I think you misunderstood Albions answer.

I didn’t start driving HGV until I was 54, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

JRS:
I am aware of the longer hours, lower pay, less holidays and benefits etc. But my main concern is will anyone take me on at the age of 58 after a 10-year absence from HGV driving?

Hi Bud, I’ve come back to truck driving at 60, I’m 62 now and have been tramping for the past 2 years so no your never to old, I’m a bit slow at trailer changes but no one seems to mind these days and 4 nights out a week I’m earning between 700 and 900 pounds a week gross so not to bad

knight2:

biggriffin:

albion:

Read carefully before replying, whoops.

Won’t be a problem. Of course your area might make a difference.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

One of the drivers where I work is 77…so crack on drive you’ve got a good 20 years yet :smiley:

I don’t see a problem as long as your in reasonable shape longer hours won’t be an issue and with the current climate of driver shortage in certain parts of the country now could be a good time to give it a go.

Why not do a bit of limping (agency) and see how you get on, letting us know which part of the country your’e based would help.

I had a few years out and found its like riding a bike you don’t forget.

Nah not at all, geezers at my place 55+ delivering beer.

Its been posted on here that the average age of a lorry driver is 54 years, so the O.P. is just above. I think that most of us have done something else before becoming drivers.

biggriffin:

knight2:

biggriffin:

albion:

Thanks knight, I was trying to work griffins answer out…not the right side of the wine bottle for thought.

OP, to be clear, I employ on recommendation usually and a combination of personality and attitude. I’m not bothered if you are 20 or 57.

Good luck with your job hunt.

albion:

biggriffin:

knight2:

biggriffin:

albion:

Thanks knight, I was trying to work griffins answer out…not the right side of the wine bottle for thought.

OP, to be clear, I employ on recommendation usually and a combination of personality and attitude. I’m not bothered if you are 20 or 57.

Good luck with your job hunt.

As well as gay, transgender, one legged tree hugging, whale loving, marsupials.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk