M6 Camera - Help!

On the southbound M6 as you approach Junction 33 there’s a long downhill stretch Just opposite Lancaster Uni.

Does anyone know if there’s a speed camera towards the bottom of the hill with ANPR capabilities or the ability to recognise an HGV from another vehicle?

Reason I’m asking is that I just noticed a second-long white light in my mirror going down there as I was doing about 63/64mph. 1am, therefore dark, and no other traffic around.

My gut instinct is that I’m being paranoid as I’d be unlikely to get a flash at that speed in such an area (non-smart motorway, no speed camera signs) but then I’m struggling to explain what else it could’ve been and I’ve got the fear a bit now.

ill be passing at 56 mph lol in a few hours so I’ll have a look

Your ■■■■■■, expect the police to be waiting for you when you return home!!

tommymanc:
Your [zb], expect the police to be waiting for you when you return home!!

Yep I’d go on the run now if I were you OP, grab what you can carry run and don’t look back.

But seriously think about it for a second.

There isn’t going to be a speed camera just randomly plonked on a motorway that isn’t a smart (ish) motorway for one thing, and secondly there isn’t a camera that could distinguish yet what type of vehicle had triggered it (yet) it would be a camera that would then need human intervention to ascertain it was a truck and should be doing x speed.

63-4 mph in a hgv and we wonder why we are hated. Your supposed to be professional :unamused:
Thought I’d say it before anyone else does. :smiley:
I wouldn’t worry pal. Just go for 70 next time. I love a good push on me. Keep it lit. :open_mouth:

simcor:

There isn’t going to be a speed camera just randomly plonked on a motorway that isn’t a smart (ish) motorway for one thing, and secondly there isn’t a camera that could distinguish yet what type of vehicle had triggered it (yet) it would be a camera that would then need human intervention to ascertain it was a truck and should be doing x speed.

That’s the type of positive thinking I’m after.

As I say, my gut feeling was I was being daft BUT the flash was far too intense to have been someone flashing someone in several hundred yards behind.

AFAIK outwith a smart motorway or marked gantry camera the only speed trap on a motorway would’ve been a patrol car, which I’d have noticed. But I await someone to put me right on this.

Could have been a UFO?

You were travelling at warp speed, they were probably worried.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

There’s no camera there, unbunch your knickers.

simcor:
secondly there isn’t a camera that could distinguish yet what type of vehicle had triggered it (yet) it would be a camera that would then need human intervention to ascertain it was a truck and should be doing x speed.

I understand that there are “smart” (over used word that :unamused: ) cameras that are linked to the ANPR database, which then enables the system to compare vehicles and speed limits and spit out any necessary tickets, but maybe it’s just an urban myth :laughing: Sounds quite simple to do, just comparing databases, so I would be surprised if it is not done somewhere.

Telt:

simcor:

That’s the type of positive thinking I’m after.

As I say, my gut feeling was I was being daft BUT the flash was far too intense to have been someone flashing someone in several hundred yards behind.

AFAIK outwith a smart motorway or marked gantry camera the only speed trap on a motorway would’ve been a patrol car, which I’d have noticed. But I await someone to put me right on this.

Could it of been one of those cameras on the side of the gantry.Believe they are anpr type ones like the ones on the M25 around jnct26.Are they for road tax,mot,insurance offences?.Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Was there a stabarts near. Could have been a spotter and shot his lens to early

simcor:

tommymanc:
Your [zb], expect the police to be waiting for you when you return home!!

Yep I’d go on the run now if I were you OP, grab what you can carry run and don’t look back.

And none of you two thought to tell him to Stanley his card and burn the truck?
The mans about to get his license burned infront of him and be vilified for speeding in a thundering juggernaut by the media and you can’t even give him proper advice?
For shame on both of you. For shame

no nothing there

simcor:
there isn’t a camera that could distinguish yet what type of vehicle had triggered it (yet) it would be a camera that would then need human intervention to ascertain it was a truck and should be doing x speed.

Wrong. I know to my cost that fixed speed cameras on the a68 in the scottish borders can tell you are in an hgv. The camera is in plain sight and I never lifted as I passed, thinking it would be set at around 70. It flashed me and I got 3 points for 56 mph. This was more than 10 year ago, so not a new thing.

Probably a UFO landing mate.

You will be fine mate. For a HGV Driving on a dual carriageway… speed limit is 60MPH… your saying you did around 66mph or whatever it is… As long as you didn’t go over 68MPH (60+10%+2=68) you should be fine.

I think you had a car on your blind spot doing stupid speed and then slam the break at last minute after seeing the camera and got flashed.

mdourish:
Was there a stabarts near. Could have been a spotter and shot his lens to early

Haha the spotters were faffing over something near me so I parked right next the fence they were peeking through to spite them for no reason other than my amusement lol

Might have been someone out lamping in the field beside the motorway. There is definitely no fixed speed cameras in that area. It’s my patch, I should know. :wink:

Remember when I done a week of night trunking everytime I was on the m6 the cameras were like Xmas lights. Fun to watch.