World at 1 pm Radio 4 today

Promises an interesting interview with a haulier about how the UK Govt is unable to understand the impact of Brexit on road haulage.

No it promises a typically selectively chosen biased view from the point of view of remainers for the consumption of remainers.From a media outlet which is hopelessly biased in favour of their agenda.

My guess will be that he’s scared crapless at the thought of having to put his wages up when the third-world labour all goes home. :stuck_out_tongue:

^^^^^^^ This.

The government will declare lorry driving on the ‘skills shortage’ list, and simply grant visas to import drivers from the actual third world. Bleak times ahead.

ezydriver:
The government will declare lorry driving on the ‘skills shortage’ list, and simply grant visas to import drivers from the actual third world. Bleak times ahead.

You mean the colonies, ol’ boy… And that will keep wages low, meaning the supermarket’s won’t have to put prices up, therefore keeping the RPI low, which in turn reduces inflation. Again we’re keeping the country going…
3 cheers for the humble truck driver. :wink:

ezydriver:

The difference being that we can also vote in a proper ‘Labour’ government which can stop that without any interference from the EU politburo elite.Strange how lorry driving isn’t on any ‘skills shortage list’ in the rest of the English speaking world in that regard.

Carryfast:
The difference being that we can also vote in a proper ‘Labour’ government

If there was one. The one we’ve currently got would not only allow more uncontrolled immigration, but insist immigrants are transgendered feminists too. That’s precisely how far Labour are from their traditional roots.

Fantasy…
stuff.co.nz/business/indust … struggling
washingtonpost.com/news/won … c61f68b33b
cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/t … -1.4746433
washingtonpost.com/news/won … d659e885b2
draketrailers.com/news/409-driv … y-part-one
moneyweb.co.za/news/compani … k-drivers/

Brexiters pride themselves on their ignorance of the rest of the world, it seems.

ezydriver:

Carryfast:
The difference being that we can also vote in a proper ‘Labour’ government

If there was one. The one we’ve currently got would not only allow more uncontrolled immigration, but insist immigrants are transgendered feminists too. That’s precisely how far Labour are from their traditional roots.

Staying with the EU won’t fix that it just creates more and an even stronger level of the same deluded ruling elite telling us how good their agenda is for us.

GasGas:
Fantasy…

Brexiters pride themselves on their ignorance of the rest of the world, it seems.

You do know that there’s big difference between employers in North America and NZ etc saying that they’ve got a ‘shortage’ of drivers.

As opposed to the government giving them what they want in the form of an open door immigration policy.Why would the Brit working class think that keeping the doors open is supposedly good for us ?.

On that note have you ever applied for a job driving a truck in the States or Oz or Canada or NZ ?.Good luck with that.

GasGas:
Fantasy…

Yes some are a bit insular, but Carryfast does have a point, we can change our government, by 2022 if we choose, we just need the alternative that works for us instead of the political class, their friends in the media and those that run the global financial institutions and global business.

I don’t remember getting my ballot paper to elect the president of the EU or the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy or the Vice-President for the Euro and Social Dialogue and many other who are responsible for proposing legislation and the general direction of the EU,

In fact even when all the main political parties (made up of those who are voted by the citizens to represent them) of the UK were against one of the candidates they couldn’t stop his appointment.

As Labour joined the Tories and Liberal Democrats in rejecting Juncker’s candidacy, Cameron claimed the attempt by the European parliament to install the former Luxembourg prime minister amounted to a power grab “through the back door”.

As for the HGV driver shortage, we don’t really need to go out of this country to find them, there are more than enough licence holder who choose not to do the job for various reasons in the country already

The results are startling. There are 80,000 individuals with a Category C or C + E LGV licence and a current Driver CPC in the crucial 25-44 age group (the most attractive to employers for insurance and medical reasons) who are not currently working as truck drivers.
What’s more, there are 90,000 individuals in the 25-34 age band holding C or C + E licences, but without a current Driver CPC. All they would require would be a week in a classroom without any test or examination, and they too could get behind the wheel of a truck.
Ms Tisdale cautions that this figure includes an unknown number of serving armed forces personnel who are obviously not currently available to employers. But the figures nonetheless put the 45,000-60,000 shortage estimated by the trade associations into sharp context.

I did listen to it, but I was wrong in my guess about the content, it was more that the bloke thought that his trucks would be waiting days to clear customs in Dover.

There’s a bloke rings in lbc regular. Sounds like he does a lot of very time critical stuff with vans and small trucks who is very worried about problems with customs.
Always very interesting and well reasoned though

kr79:
There’s a bloke rings in lbc regular. Sounds like he does a lot of very time critical stuff with vans and small trucks who is very worried about problems with customs.

I think most business involved in any EU trade is worried, there seems to be no plan, meaningful negotiations or progress on the UK leaving of the EU.

kr79:

Yes, and he took the idiot Rees-Mogg apart.

The hard-line ‘no-dealers’ DNHAFC of the implications of what they are proposing.

Listen here

lbc.co.uk/radio/special-sho … rees-mogg/

JR-M, like Bo Jo, is the product of an Eton education. If I were either of their parents, I’d be asking for my money back.

The thing is, it wasn’t an enormous palaver before 1992, just half-an-hour stood on the stairs at Dover, and I’m sure even that wouldn’t be necessary nowadays. I’d be quite happy to go back to the days of T-forms, chuck your paperwork in at Rho Customs at mid-day Tuesday then go on the lash with your buddies for the rest of the day. :stuck_out_tongue:

muckles:

GasGas:
Fantasy…

Yes some are a bit insular, but Carryfast does have a point, we can change our government, by 2022 if we choose, we just need the alternative that works for us instead of the political class, their friends in the media and those that run the global financial institutions and global business.

I don’t remember getting my ballot paper to elect the president of the EU or the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy or the Vice-President for the Euro and Social Dialogue and many other who are responsible for proposing legislation and the general direction of the EU,

In fact even when all the main political parties (made up of those who are voted by the citizens to represent them) of the UK were against one of the candidates they couldn’t stop his appointment.

David Cameron steps up campaign to block Juncker appointment | David Cameron | The Guardian

As Labour joined the Tories and Liberal Democrats in rejecting Juncker’s candidacy, Cameron claimed the attempt by the European parliament to install the former Luxembourg prime minister amounted to a power grab “through the back door”.

As for the HGV driver shortage, we don’t really need to go out of this country to find them, there are more than enough licence holder who choose not to do the job for various reasons in the country already

http://transportoperator.co.uk/2016/01/29/3568/

The results are startling. There are 80,000 individuals with a Category C or C + E LGV licence and a current Driver CPC in the crucial 25-44 age group (the most attractive to employers for insurance and medical reasons) who are not currently working as truck drivers.
What’s more, there are 90,000 individuals in the 25-34 age band holding C or C + E licences, but without a current Driver CPC. All they would require would be a week in a classroom without any test or examination, and they too could get behind the wheel of a truck.
Ms Tisdale cautions that this figure includes an unknown number of serving armed forces personnel who are obviously not currently available to employers. But the figures nonetheless put the 45,000-60,000 shortage estimated by the trade associations into sharp context.

An excellent article in Transport Operator…(he said modestly). The FTA weren’t very pleased with it, apparently, but heigh-ho.

The real reason there is a driver shortage, comes down I think to property prices. Once lenders started taking into account the combined incomes of couples one of the big dampers on house prices was taken off.

Now you need two full-time average incomes to service the average mortgage. Which means mum and dad both go to work and share childcare duties. But dad can’t if he’s a lorry driver and out all week. So mum, who may well be earning more than dad, is still expected to do all the child-stuff as well. Something has to give, and dad usually ends up getting a 9-5 job not driving a truck.

NB: please excuse the lazy gender stereotype…I know women drive lorries too.

But, if we are to continue with the long hours model of driver employment, then wages need to go up to about £50 k a year. I bet there would be no shortage then!

Harry Monk:
The thing is, it wasn’t an enormous palaver before 1992, just half-an-hour stood on the stairs at Dover, and I’m sure even that wouldn’t be necessary nowadays. I’d be quite happy to go back to the days of T-forms, chuck your paperwork in at Rho Customs at mid-day Tuesday then go on the lash with your buddies for the rest of the day. :stuck_out_tongue:

The trouble is, Harry that the infrastructure and people aren’t there any more. It will take time to train people, build parking etc.

As for an IT based solution…can you think of any IT project the government has delivered on time and on budget that has actually worked?

(genuine question, not being sarky)

GasGas:

muckles:

GasGas:
Fantasy…

David Cameron steps up campaign to block Juncker appointment | David Cameron | The Guardian

http://transportoperator.co.uk/2016/01/29/3568/

An excellent article in Transport Operator…(he said modestly). The FTA weren’t very pleased with it, apparently, but heigh-ho.

The real reason there is a driver shortage, comes down I think to property prices. Once lenders started taking into account the combined incomes of couples one of the big dampers on house prices was taken off.

Now you need two full-time average incomes to service the average mortgage. Which means mum and dad both go to work and share childcare duties. But dad can’t if he’s a lorry driver and out all week. So mum, who may well be earning more than dad, is still expected to do all the child-stuff as well. Something has to give, and dad usually ends up getting a 9-5 job not driving a truck.

NB: please excuse the lazy gender stereotype…I know women drive lorries too.

But, if we are to continue with the long hours model of driver employment, then wages need to go up to about £50 k a year. I bet there would be no shortage then!

Well I think Kirsten Tisdale should get a fair slice of the credit for doing much of the leg work, such as the FOI request about licence holders and comparing them to the ONS data. Especially as she is an industry insider who originally believed the industries claims that there weren’t enough UK drivers available.
It’s a shame the industry still believes that PR gimmicks and grovelling to the government to spent tax payers money, will solve a problem of its own making. If they want those drivers to consider coming back they need to improve not just the pay but the general working conditions in the industry.