Fire extinguisher in trucks

Are there any requirements to carry fire extinguishers on trucks if no dangerous goods being transported?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I’m aware of.

In fact most operators take them out so they can’t forget to have them tested…

Not a requirement in England, need one in the foreign,

If it catches fire, let it burn and wait for the fire brigade to turn up. Get out and stand a safe distance away.its insured.

possibly stobart drivers would be able to expertly enlighten you to the answer on that one? :confused:

biggriffin:
If it catches fire, let it burn and wait for the fire brigade to turn up. Get out and stand a safe distance away.its insured.

I agree with you to a point, but…

What if someone is trapped in a vehicle and you’re the only one with a fire extinguisher?

I’d happily do some sort of training dcpc style to learn how I might be able to help someone.

From what I see on Ytube, one fire extinguisher is never enough to stop a really nasty car fire.

I think ALL vehicles should by law have a fire extinguisher on board.

We carry 2, one in the cab and a bigger one behind the cab, don’t think any have ever been used though.

yourhavingalarf:

biggriffin:

I agree with you to a point, but…

What if someone is trapped in a vehicle and you’re the only one with a fire extinguisher?

I’d happily do some sort of training dcpc style to learn how I might be able to help someone.

From what I see on Ytube, one fire extinguisher is never enough to stop a really nasty car fire.

I think ALL vehicles should by law have a fire extinguisher on board.

Would be a great DCPC course and we would probably all learn from it. Wouldn’t want them by law though, whilst it’s a good idea, it would just turn into something else for jobsworths to pry into and enforce :frowning:

yourhavingalarf:

Quite right mate, but it’s a question of timing and possibly good fortune.

Big fires tend to start off as small fires, but in the hands of somebody who has had a little training…, a fire extinguisher can easily deal with a small fire.

I doubt whether a “Fire Extinguisher, handling in emergency” course would ever see the light of day in the repertoire of CPC.
Who would teach it, for one thing? Hire a Firestation with it´s trainers and training area? Way too expensive = loss of profit for Trg Company.

1977 Firemans strike. Army got alled in to provide cover :open_mouth: :grimacing:
We spent most of our training time putting the smallest nozzle on the hose and seeing how high we could get Clive Robson up in the air with it at max pressure :laughing:
About 6 feet

Is is just RDC bull that a tanker driver once sat and watched someone burn to death in car crash as they refused to use their fire extinguishers because they’d be stuck at roadside till replacement arrived?

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

Cruise Control:
Is is just RDC bull that a tanker driver once sat and watched someone burn to death in car crash as they refused to use their fire extinguishers because they’d be stuck at roadside till replacement arrived?

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

I worked with a bloke who reckoned he used to work with said person at a large tanker outfit after the incident.

Apparently his nickname was “the murderer”.

Dunno he was telling the truth, but he wasn’t the Walt type.

Must admit quite recently I argued the point with a Transport Office. I had just come off tankers and was used to always checking them and having them. Went onto fridges and a hire wagon where there was none. I had it in my head there should be one to the point they gave me another unit…another hire unit…went back with check sheet emphasising no extinguisher. Gave me a unit this time with one. While I was out I checked up and found there was no legal requirement for one…think I stopped out for a couple nights on that run before going back to the depot! [emoji51]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I think it would be a good idea to have fire extinguishers on a vehicle, but not sure if compulsory is a good idea, just end up with a load of vehicles carrying Fire Extinguishers that haven’t been checked and don’t work when needed.

I’ve found them on ours, stuffed in the lockers, somebody thought it would be a good idea to have them, but couldn’t be bothered to spend the money and go to the effort of putting them in proper containers, because they in there tucked away and forgotten about until they roll about they aren’t checked when all the others are.

Sorting this out is now something on my every growing to do list, keep ticking jobs off only to find 2 more things to get done.

As for doing it as part of the DCPC, not a bad idea along with first aid, when I did my ADR many years ago, we all had a go at putting out a fuel fire.

Dozy is the best person to pm about the requirements to carry fire extinguishers in the cab :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

steviespain:
I doubt whether a “Fire Extinguisher, handling in emergency” course would ever see the light of day in the repertoire of CPC.

Actually, it would be a very easy matter to get a fire course approved for DCPC.

There are plenty of courses (fire warden or fire marshal) that could, (with a couple of quite easy administrative tweaks,) be submitted for approval.

steviespain:
Who would teach it, for one thing?

Since it would only be for DCPC, then the answer is anybody with suitable knowledge and experience in JAUPT’s eyes.

steviespain:
Hire a Firestation with it´s trainers and training area? Way too expensive = loss of profit for Trg Company.

It wouldn’t be necessary to hire a fire station, and there’d be no loss of profit for the training company because the course would have to be priced accordingly in the first place.
However, if you meant that a standard priced 7hr DCPC course that included proper practical elements would be a loss of profit to the training company, then I’d agree.
Let’s be fair though… I’m pretty sure that folks would agree that it would cost the training company more to offer that course when compared with the cost of a purely classroom based course.

Using ADR as an example, there are two prices for the course.

In scenario #1, the customer just wants an ADR card.
This is easy, he just pays for an ADR course plus the necessary exam fees… job done.
(Some people already have the full 35hrs, or they drive vehicles <3.5t that don’t need the driver to have DCPC.)

In scenario #2, the customer just wants DCPC.
This is easy too, he just pays separately for each 7hr ‘chunk’ of DCPC and attends on as many of the ADR course days as he wishes… job done.

In scenario #3, the customer wants ADR and DCPC.
This is just as easy, he just pays for an ADR course and the necessary exam fees plus the upload fees for the required number of DCPC ‘chunks’ he needs… job done.
(Some people come to an ADR course with 14 or 21 hrs already completed, so they wouldn’t need the DCPC element on all ADR days.)

Depending on how an ADR provider sets it all up, there can be up to 28 DCPC hrs available for an ADR course, although there are a significant number of ADR providers who only offer 21hrs DCPC due to approval fees.

In the way I’ve described above, there would be two prices for a fire warden or fire marshal course.

:bulb: First-Aid, FLT and HIAB can also be done with two prices, as can driving licence upgrades and even Operator CPC for managers.

dieseldave:
there can be up to 28 DCPC hrs available for an ADR course, although there are a significant number of ADR providers who only offer 21hrs DCPC due to approval fees.

ADR trainers in Aberdeen give you the full 35hrs for the 7 day course, I think on the Sat and Sun they throw in 3.5hrs training of something else to make the hours up though

OVLOV JAY:
Dozy is the best person to pm about the requirements to carry fire extinguishers in the cab :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
nobody got mine,nobody got yours…double woooossssshhhhhhh :smiley:

Thanks for typing all that up, dieseldave, appreciated.
Ok, I see what you mean there.
It´s gotta cost the provider more to provide Fire training, unless it´s just a sitintheclassroomboredoutofyourskull style of instruction. I would hope to see even a short practical part.

New guys who don´t care what the modules are, just want the intital CPC are looking at cost, not content, I reckon.

Personally, I think that intitial CPC should include First Aid and Fire stuff as mandatory with 7 hours of each per 5 years.

Every course I ever did in the green gang started with at least one full day of first aid. And, if it had any electrics it included fire control.

In this 35 I´ve just done we had 2 modules, twice each.
One was to do with how to handle disabilities, and the other was about the Equality Act 2010. This sort of stuff is more to do with living a normal life, not driving.
Now, a good fire? Or blood and guts on the floor?That´s a different thing :slight_smile: Sign me up.

scottie0011:

dieseldave:
there can be up to 28 DCPC hrs available for an ADR course, although there are a significant number of ADR providers who only offer 21hrs DCPC due to approval fees.

ADR trainers in Aberdeen give you the full 35hrs for the 7 day course, I think on the Sat and Sun they throw in 3.5hrs training of something else to make the hours up though

I guess you mean the 7-day course is a standard 5-day course, then they include explosives and radioactives?

If it’s done that way, there’s been some skilful juggling with timetables because (for ADR) Classes 1 and 7 only have 6hrs contact time plus a 40mins exam each.

The first 28hrs are fairly straightforward, but I’d love to know what written on the DCPC certificate for the last 7hrs ‘chunk.’

dieseldave:

scottie0011:

dieseldave:

I guess you mean the 7-day course is a standard 5-day course, then they include explosives and radioactives?

If it’s done that way, there’s been some skilful juggling with timetables because (for ADR) Classes 1 and 7 only have 6hrs contact time plus a 40mins exam each.

The first 28hrs are fairly straightforward, but I’d love to know what written on the DCPC certificate for the last 7hrs ‘chunk.’

Yes thats how it’s done up here as standard, class 1 and 7 are added for the benefit of the oil industry to cover any eventuality, as for whats written for the last 7 hours, I don’t have a clue but I think I will be doing the course in the near future so I will try and find out and let you know :wink: