Too close for comfort, or perfectly ok?

If your pulling a trailer marked at the same height as a bridge is it perfectly fine to go through or too close for comfort/too risky…

Ie if I’m pulling a double decker trailer marked up at 16’0” and there is a bridge marked with a circular sign at 16’0” does that mean you CAN go through or not? Would you personally or not?

The sign means maximum safe height not actual height so yeah crack on

I have taken a 13’9 fridge under 13’9 with no problem and as above it “should” fit. I did go slowly though, don’t want to hit a bump…

To close for comfort for me, but its your choice risk it and lose, it your licence and your money to pay any fines nobody elses.
I took the chance once at 14.2 under a bridge marked the same height,I scraped it with the back end simply because the road on the other side started a slight incline before the back end was clear,fortunately no damage was done.

If you are driving a green truck then they go under beidges marked 6 inches lower than the hight of your truck so foot down and go for it. Anything else then why bother? If it is close enough to ask opinions of others and slow down to a crawl they just go a diffrent way.

If your driving for stobart,they go under all bridges no problem

Now stone me if this is a revolutionary idea…but why not measure it before you set off■■?

Couple of beer tokens from your local hardware store and removes ALL ambiguity.

We regularly have to go under this bridge to get to a few of our customers on the trading estate with a 4.2m curtain on.

There is a lip onto the concrete where the gates are. I have stopped part way through when its been quiet and there is about 2-3 inches clearance.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Many years ago I had a regular drop in Wick Lane E3, bridge was (and still is) marked as 13ft but my truck was 13’-9", first time I had to go there the customer watched me and said that I had at least 3" to spare.

DickyNick:
If your pulling a trailer marked at the same height as a bridge is it perfectly fine to go through or too close for comfort/too risky…

Ie if I’m pulling a double decker trailer marked up at 16’0” and there is a bridge marked with a circular sign at 16’0” does that mean you CAN go through or not? Would you personally or not?

I would drop the suspension if it were that tight, but I would say it’s ok

In the Highway code the description below a height sign says words to the effect of vehicles over that height prohibited, not vehicle over the marked height, those the same height and those close to that height at the drivers discretion prohibited.

Also in the guidelines’ for marking bridge heights it does state a measurement (3" I think) as a margin between the actual bridge height at its lowest point and what it should be marked at at.

So yes if I had a trailer marked up as 16ft pulled by a truck with the correct fifth wheel height for that measurement, then I’d go under it, all be it with some care.

Martin:
Many years ago I had a regular drop in Wick Lane E3, bridge was (and still is) marked as 13ft but my truck was 13’-9", first time I had to go there the customer watched me and said that I had at least 3" to spare.

I know the bridge you mean and our 40 yard roll ons go under it and they are just under 14 foot

Trailers with the height marking may as well be written in dog muck, it’s the height of the combination that needs measuring, there can be 9” difference in fifth wheel and tyre height on identical lorries,

^^^^^ this

Some belters on this…

youtube.com/watch?v=lFsmytsboqw

They sell tape measures in our pound shop, for a QUID!!! There is no excuse!

jbaz73:

Are they inches or meters

jbaz73:

Too much effort…
They get all floppy and unwieldy over 8ft and don’t always zip back in… Then ur left with 15ft of metal measuring tape to scoop off the floor then you get a paper cut from the sharp edges… It’s not worth the grief.

muckles:
In the Highway code the description below a height sign says words to the effect of vehicles over that height prohibited, not vehicle over the marked height, those the same height and those close to that height at the drivers discretion prohibited.

Also in the guidelines’ for marking bridge heights it does state a measurement (3" I think) as a margin between the actual bridge height at its lowest point and what it should be marked at at.

So yes if I had a trailer marked up as 16ft pulled by a truck with the correct fifth wheel height for that measurement, then I’d go under it, all be it with some care.

The words Norfolk and bridge heights can only mean one place, North Walsham.

lolipop:
To close for comfort for me, but its your choice risk it and lose, it your licence and your money to pay any fines nobody elses.
I took the chance once at 14.2 under a bridge marked the same height,I scraped it with the back end simply because the road on the other side started a slight incline before the back end was clear,fortunately no damage was done.

Where did you find a bridge marked at 14’ 2"?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk