Driving licence entitlements

If someone wants to drive a tilt n slide with a spec lift exceeding 3.5 tonne, do they need a class 1 licence? Thanks in advance!

Rudsy:
If someone wants to drive a tilt n slide with a spec lift exceeding 3.5 tonne, do they need a class 1 licence? Thanks in advance!

LGV C1 if 3.5 to 7.5
LGV C if over 7.5
Assuming no trailer is involved

I was told when on the AA the use of the spec required C+E as very few cars were under 750kg and of course were in effect un braked trailers, and only damaged or non runners allowed on the spec, no inter garage moves or deliveries of repaired or bought / sold vehicles.

Your best bet with the AA is class 1, it’s what they like. So I’m told.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

hotel magnum:
I was told when on the AA the use of the spec required C+E as very few cars were under 750kg and of course were in effect un braked trailers, and only damaged or non runners allowed on the spec, no inter garage moves or deliveries of repaired or bought / sold vehicles.

Which means a non road worthy vehicle can be towed on the road but a road worthy one can’t. :laughing:

Seriously they are a pointless dodgy substitute for a decent trailer and winch and they should ban the things.Also think the idea of no trailer heavier than 750 kg allowed to be towed with a 7.5 tonner with just a C1 licence is nuts.Might as well say that someone needs a class 1 to tow a big caravan with a car. :unamused:

Carryfast:

hotel magnum:

Which means a non road worthy vehicle can be towed on the road but a road worthy one can’t. [emoji38]

Seriously they are a pointless dodgy substitute for a decent trailer and winch and they should ban the things.Also think the idea of no trailer heavier than 750 kg allowed to be towed with a 7.5 tonner with just a C1 licence is nuts.Might as well say that someone needs a class 1 to tow a big caravan with a car. :unamused:

A car licence is 3.5t not C1 7.5t.

The entitlement to tow should be warranted, not a birth right… as for the weights? Quite irrelevant if you’ve seen what the old timers have managed to do with a light caravan in the past.

If it stops the new generation from making the same stupid mistakes I approve of it. They cause enough hassle in their corsas.

As an extra… How often do you see someone towing something but they can’t see out their mirrors? That’s poor training and policing.

Chillidoritos:

Carryfast:

hotel magnum:

Which means a non road worthy vehicle can be towed on the road but a road worthy one can’t. [emoji38]

The entitlement to tow should be warranted, not a birth right… as for the weights? Quite irrelevant if you’ve seen what the old timers have managed to do with a light caravan in the past.

If it stops the new generation from making the same stupid mistakes I approve of it. They cause enough hassle in their corsas.

As an extra… How often do you see someone towing something but they can’t see out their mirrors? That’s poor training and policing.

My wife has a car license and can drive up to 7.5 tonnes. You mean newer licenses are restricted to 3.5 tonne. What is wrong with grandfather rights? it is the fairest way of transitioning to the then new HGV classes , besides the test centres couldn’t cope with all the extra test demand

no1dieselman:

Chillidoritos:

Carryfast:

hotel magnum:

My wife has a car license and can drive up to 7.5 tonnes. You mean newer licenses are restricted to 3.5 tonne. What is wrong with grandfather rights? it is the fairest way of transitioning to the then new HGV classes , besides the test centres couldn’t cope with all the extra test demand

Grandad rights are fair. But imo pretty dangerous… You’ve only got to see all the upsidedown caravans and horseboxes taking up the entire road… they’re as bad as bus drivers.

I think everything is safer when there’s a few more hoops to jump through these days. A ball ache, but the end result might be better.

Am I correct in thinking that recently, the max GVW for a new B licence holder has gone down to 2.8 or 2.6 tonnes?

gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

SWEDISH BLUE:
Driving licence categories - GOV.UK

So looking at that I would have thought you’d need a C1+E to tow a car with a vehicle with a GVW above 3.5t but not more than 7.5t.

This probably covers all you need to know for licences required for recovery operations.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/210144/guide-for-recovery-operations.pdf

Rudsy:

Bit of a tricky one this . . .

The law as it stands is VERY grey in this area & the recovery industry is cacking its pants that case law should ever clarify it the wrong way.

Put it this way, as the law stands today, you would not be breaking it if you held an LGV C licence & recovered a vehicle exceeding 750kg on the spec lift.

Lets put it another way, the DVSA do not make the laws in this country.