Bloody doubledecker

So tomorrow I am traction only and pulling a DD for one of our local pallet network firms up to the hub by Birmingham. I have never done this and would appreciate someone giving me a route in with something considerably taller than our 4m euroliners!
Not leaving Epping till about 0900, so plenty of time. They will probably give me a route but good to know in advance.

Might be a good idea to tell people what pallet network depot your going to their are a few up that way

Yeah, thats what you get for posting late at night, forgot to add the word airport after Birmingham!
Never mind, I’m sure the depot will tell me since I am now a doddery old git and their new shiny DD aint got a scratch :slight_smile:

Ask a stobart driver for tips.

Beanbonce:

No thanks mate,I really would like to give it back as I found it :smiley:

Palletline?

Twoninety88:

Beanbonce:

No thanks mate,I really would like to give it back as I found it :smiley:

Yeah they could give you a nice shiney single decker in return.

M1, M6, get off at Stonebridge island take 3rd exit, next island 1st exit, next island 1st exit, next island 3rd exit then follow the road and Starley Way comes up on the right, no low bridges at all.

You don’t mean Brum Airport one do ya?

Not far off the M42… You can come up the M40, and as previous poster has said - “no low bridges at all”.

Cheers all, found it ok or rather fell into it almost by accident :smiley: not overly impressed with DD work… too used to running around at a comfortable height!

Twoninety88:
Cheers all, found it ok or rather fell into it almost by accident :smiley: not overly impressed with DD work… too used to running around at a comfortable height!

double decker work isn’t for the faint hearted one wrong turn and your in a heap of a ■■■■ if you don’t know what’s around the corner lol, what height were u running @■■?

Followed a signed division one night with a 16’2" trailer when m6 junction 17 to 18 was shut and was “taken under a 16’0” bridge…
Always thought these signed diversion routes were supposed to be for any vehicle…

SouthEastCashew:

Twoninety88:

double decker work isn’t for the faint hearted one wrong turn and your in a heap of a [zb] if you don’t know what’s around the corner lol, what height were u running @■■?

16foot2inches

SouthEastCashew:

Twoninety88:

double decker work isn’t for the faint hearted one wrong turn and your in a heap of a [zb] if you don’t know what’s around the corner lol, what height were u running @■■?

do a lot of DD work mostly 50 footers, you do tend to get a sweat on when they shut a motorway :open_mouth:

SouthEastCashew:

[/quote]
It was only a one off job for a local firm, be a few months before that happens again.

ytrehodluap:
…when m6 junction 17 to 18 was shut and was “taken under a 16’0” bridge…

In theory but they sometimes have a secondary diversion for taller trailers, or just forget HGVs exist.

On that one there should have been 2 diversions - one via A50 & A5022 and a tall trailer one via A54 which avoids the bridge. We run 15’9 to 15’ 11 so all night so feel the pain esp of the unexpected diversions.

Oh and for the HGV sat nav dislikers, mine tries to use the std diversion there although in its defence the bridge is 16’ but they divert over 15’9…so kindof not its fault. :slight_smile:

ytrehodluap:
Followed a signed division one night with a 16’2" trailer when m6 junction 17 to 18 was shut and was “taken under a 16’0” bridge…

What did you do? Did you go under it? Was it a case of slowing to a crawl, head out the window etc?

ezydriver:

ytrehodluap:

What did you do? Did you go under it? Was it a case of slowing to a crawl, head out the window etc?

There’s usually an allowance on what bridge actually says and what physical height it is

Not to be relied on though!! Personally if couldn’t turn anywhere then I’d be lowering suspension all round and slowly crawling under, that should give the couple of inch needed just to be sure.

This is why I’m glad I left nights behind, got sick of closures and pathetic diversions.

Used to get worked up when I saw the ‘ road closed find alternative route’ crap on unexpected closures.

Most of official diversions end up crossing each other and it’s too easy to move onto wrong diversion [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble with DDs is you cant change the trailer suspension on any I’ve driven. God knows why but doesnt help with bridges.

trevHCS:
Trouble with DDs is you cant change the trailer suspension on any I’ve driven. God knows why but doesnt help with bridges.

Is that the reason the suspesion is “fixed”? - To stop “putting some bounce in the trailer”? (I do this often, especially with a big weight near the back of the trailer…)

The problem is - what happens when you go through one of the horrendous pot holes like we had after the last winter?

I’m amazed that a whole lot more double deckers have not crashed over the last five years really… I guess the drivers must be “driving on eggshells” with these beasts?