Primary Vs Non Primary Route Roads

Are Primary route roads (usually green background signs) more suitable for HGVs than non primary roads (usually white signs) even though it may be longer to get to that destination?

Is the width and quality of primary roads better for HGV’s than local routes?

I’d say generally speaking yes, green routes are your best bet unless you’ve got more local information for the alternative.

I can never understand why primary routes are allowed to be closed for roadworks in the daytime. A typical example is the A429 Fosseway.
The A44 Worcester Road is shut for a short stretch from tomorrow for a couple of days between 07.00 and 19.00. Why not do it at night?

Muckaway:
I can never understand why primary routes are allowed to be closed for roadworks in the daytime. A typical example is the A429 Fosseway.
The A44 Worcester Road is shut for a short stretch from tomorrow for a couple of days between 07.00 and 19.00. Why not do it at night?

I don’t quite agree there Muckaway, Primary routes that require to be closed for roadworks should be shut and then worked on 24/7 until they are complete. Your 2 day closure would then be about 24 hours. Job done.

You can bet that overnight, while the works aren’t being worked on, the speed limit will still be lower.