Nearly 4 hours early... reversing tips?

I’m stuck in a dc… got asked to work tonight by agency. I sadly agreed. Started at midnight and had to drive to Crewe! Except my time isn’t until 6am and they won’t tip me until then.

The company clearly want to get their 8 hours worth! So I’m going to get a 15 in then spend the next couple of hours practicing my reversing. Will take the 30 whilst being tipped. I may as well do something useful I think.

Any tips for reversing?

At night wind BOTH windows down, the glare reflections seriously reduce your mirrors effectiveness, even better if you can get out and clean/wipe the mirrors first too.

Take your time.

Get Out And Look.

Get some blindsides in if you’ve got plenty of room.

If you’re in a services or near other parked up trucks turn the bloody reverse bleeper off!

Slow and steady movements both with truck angles and steering wheel movements, remember everything you put on you have to take off again and then some to correct…

Reef:
At night wind BOTH windows down, the glare reflections seriously reduce your mirrors effectiveness, even better if you can get out and clean/wipe the mirrors first too.

Take your time.

Get Out And Look.

Get some blindsides in if you’ve got plenty of room.

If you’re in a services or near other parked up trucks turn the bloody reverse bleeper off!

Slow and steady movements both with truck angles and steering wheel movements, remember everything you put on you have to take off again and then some to correct…

Cheers reef.

Actually in the dc so using their bays. I’ll do it until i get told off.

It’s pouring down here - but is good practice. But I’m enjoying playing. I’m having 10 mins off as I don’t want to get in the shunters way.

Edit - even shunter is taking loss of shunts so I don’t feel too bad. Would be more embarrassing if he was on point.

Watch your spray suppression (mud flaps) on the bananas !!

bald bloke:

I should have heeded this warning a few years ago before I ripped the ■■■■■■■ thing off

bald bloke:

Banksman…

At B&Q Mansfield managed to reverse two of ours onto the bananas on the same day subsequently ripping off two mudflaps.

Then again how blind do you have to be to keep backing up when it’s obvious you’re going to clout something regardless of the idiot banksman whirling their arms around?

I just totally ignored the planksman and backed up successfully every time.

htfc1984:

bald bloke:

I should have heeded this warning a few years ago before I ripped the [zb] thing off

I managed to do it twice in 3 months when I first started :blush:

It wasn’t the spray-suppression that was the problem with the bananas. I had a little bar at the back of the trailer low down. And if I hit it at the wrong angle it scraped. I had windows down but could hear it.

Anyway - I practised for a bit. Then the shunter came rushing over to me. “What the ■■■■ are you playing at?”
“I’m just a bit bored mate - they won’t tip me til 6”
“You should be getting your head down. Do what you want but I think you have problems”

So I kept practising. And I got to the point where I was happy. Then comes 5.30. I walk into the goods in office. At this point it had started to get busy. I was told put it on bay 5. So I head out… and guess what. I’d completely forgotten how to reverse again. The lads in the yard were not impressed - I got horns blaring at me. And people were driving behind me because I took a while - at one point I got so stressed I actually overcooked it and went onto bay 4 rather than 5.

Anyway - after much sweating, I eventually managed to get it onto the bay. Within the bananas. And then a class 2 driver comes up to me. Thinking I was going to get some abuse I prepared myself. “That’s very good mate - well done. But I think you should pull it forward now and open the doors”.

Total humiliation doesn’t come close to describing it. In my defence, by this point i’d been up going on 36 hours and was knackered.

sammym:
Anyway - after much sweating, I eventually managed to get it onto the bay. Within the bananas. And then a class 2 driver comes up to me. Thinking I was going to get some abuse I prepared myself. “That’s very good mate - well done. But I think you should pull it forward now and open the doors”.

Total humiliation doesn’t come close to describing it. In my defence, by this point i’d been up going on 36 hours and was knackered.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Sorry, but that was funny! I’ve done the screw a reverse up in a puddle jumper, but I have remembered the doors :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My top tip is - Ignore any horn blasting. If theyre getting fed up then thats their problem. Dont get yourself flustered over it.
My view is, if you aint going to get out to help me then you aint in that big a hurry to get past

Follow the trailor don’t push it.

A top tip from me would be to not stay awake for 36hrs and then get behind the wheel.