Smart motorways

Conor:

stuwozere1:
I don’t know why they’re bothering with smart motorways because all that’s gonna happen in 10 years time is they’ll need to widen them anyway.

Apparently not. One of the things now being discussed is whether or not they’re wasting money adding all this extra capacity when people are using cars less and young people aren’t bothering to get a driving license at all unless they absolutely have no choice. Self driving cars will mean less road required as it can be used more efficiently.

This is true.

I also wonder whether there is some untold technology being installed as part of these smart motorways that will help facilitate self driving vehicles in future.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn’t be in favour of ploughing billions into properly widening roads, the traffic would only grow into it. Mass private motoring is not sustainable. The money should be spent on delivering world class public transport that’s cheap to use & cycling infrastructure thus getting office commuters and the like off the roads freeing the existing capacity up. If we need to bring in congestion charging and such like to help fund it then so be it.