Oil

If you where on the road and your oil was low could you just buy the correct grade low sap oil of is truck oil different in any way ?

If it’s just a couple of litres to top up it won’t make the foggiest bit of difference.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

There is a difference which is why Rotella is a usually accepted truck engine oil v Helix or Castrol GTX for cars for example.In an emergency I’d guess that car engine oil is better than no oil but doubt if the guvnor would thank a driver for regularly topping up a truck engine with car engine oil.Which is probably why trampers usually carry at least a gallon of truck engine oil on board.

Roymondo:
If it’s just a couple of litres to top up it won’t make the foggiest bit of difference.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

If it’s a “couple of litres” then you either have a serious issue or need to start doing your daily checks!

Not necessarily. Had a merc the other week, fine one day, computer asking for 0.7 gall the next day. Presumably the difference between the bottom mark and the top mark on the dip stick. If it had one.

isaac hunt:
Not necessarily. Had a merc the other week, fine one day, computer asking for 0.7 gall the next day. Presumably the difference between the bottom mark and the top mark on the dip stick. If it had one.

Checked it we’d was fine Fri was low but imm up the road so wondering if top up is OK with correct grade low SAP oil that you get in say hakfirds

The only problem that may arise is if the vehicle is under warranty ,If you have an engine failure then with DAF a sample of the oil is sent away for analysis …if it comes back with an issue then warranty may be rejected

I’d let your company (workshop if you one in house or management if not) make that decision because if like the previous about the warranty is the case, it’s someone else who will get blamed, not you, if the warranty was rejected because they found car oil in a truck.

gonna start later anf get the garage to do it

The problem is nowadays, drivers are not paid to do things like old school drivers were, and the workshop is responsible for everything maintenance, so I would let them do it to save you getting a rogering for putting the wrong stuff in.

Ken.

A TGX I had for the day took 5 lts oil from the min to max levels. Definitely put it in the workshop.