another one

In Oxford today

Not far off really. Just deflate the tyres a bit and he will be fine

edd1974:
Not far off really. Just deflate the tyres a bit and he will be fine

No chance that bridge is 13’ 6” and there’s signs even on the A34 with height so should have gone to spec savers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might help some of these drivers if the height marker in every vehicle was placed at the top of the windscreen in the drivers view all the time,they are put in some obscure places sometimes,still no excuse though.

oxfordmail.co.uk/news/164118 … ge-delays/

bobbya:
It might help some of these drivers if the height marker in every vehicle was placed at the top of the windscreen in the drivers view all the time,they are put in some obscure places sometimes,still no excuse though.

Ok this raises a question that I’ve often pondered…

Is there some rule or legislation that states the in-cab height marker must be placed in the passenger side or basically out of reach, because I’ll be honest here I NEVER change mine as it’s above the passenger door and I’m not a) scrambling over the middle (and my rather large and ■■■■■■■■■■ day bag) or b) getting out walking around only then remembering that the passenger door stays locked, walking back to the drivers side pressing the unlock button on the drivers door then walking back around climbing up and then altering the height marker.

If there is no rule or legislation then why the hell don’t they put them within reach say next to the tacho head where I would then actually bother my arse to consistently change it?

And yes I do check and mark the heights, and if it’s an unusual (compared to the trailers I normally pull) height then I’ll write it on a post-it sized notebook I have and leave that on view on the centre dash flat area.

bobbya:

It would be easier to raise all the bridges to 16’6" minimum height. At least it should reduce the number of strikes.

bobbya:

No the only thing that will work is a bloody great guillotine that crashes down and nearly takes your todger off. They’d soon look at the bloody bridge sign then wouldn’t they?

A more practical solution would be for arctics that the ignition won’t start until you’ve keyed in your travelling height into some gizmo or if we can have collision avoidance why not a sensor on the roof measuring load height and look forward radar. Then when you go blundering towards a low bridge the anchors come crashing on… :astonished:

you don’t hear of many women hitting bridges, unless they were in sand fishers guillotine and are only now women.

Marked as 13’6 but actually 14 and a bit. On a double deck bus route and I never hit it in my bus at 14’1 :slight_smile: I do duck when I’m upstairs going into town, even though I’ve been under it in a decker more times than I care to think about!

Fuzrat:
Marked as 13’6 but actually 14 and a bit. On a double deck bus route and I never hit it in my bus at 14’1 :slight_smile: I do duck when I’m upstairs going into town, even though I’ve been under it in a decker more times than I care to think about!

The last time I travelled on the upper deck, there were bus conductors and you could smoke.
True story.

Suedehead:

Fuzrat:

The last time I travelled on the upper deck, there were bus conductors and you could smoke.
True story.

I bet there was a horse pulling it as well.

waddy640:

Suedehead:

Fuzrat:

True story.

I bet there was a horse pulling it as well.

No but the conductor was wearing a Turban.

I’ve never driver a volvo van but I know the Scania vans have a option to lower rear and front suspension a good few inches; pretty sure daf do the same also.

And then

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Suedehead:
True story.

I was a bus conductor for 6 weeks, got the sack when an inspector boarded my bus during the rush hour when the downstairs fares was the companys and the upstairs were mine … :frowning:

Sand Fisher:
No the only thing that will work is a bloody great guillotine that crashes down and nearly takes your todger off. They’d soon look at the bloody bridge sign then wouldn’t they?

My guess? Bridge strikes would cease to happen overnight!

The big question is; “How many drivers have not learned from the first hit and had another one?”

Let’s hope they see sense when they build hs2 and put all the bridges at 16.6

edd1974:
Let’s hope they see sense when they build hs2 and put all the bridges at 16.6

Or let’s hope drivers see sense a bit more and don’t drive past a big ■■■■ off sign telling them the height…