Ralph Davies retiring

I’m sure it’s old news to a lot of you but Ralph Davies has retired and is selling a load of his Volvos along with the private plates he had too as the new owners didn’t want them, I was wondering why I haven’t seen so many about lately.

There was about 8 of his volvos parked at Volvo avonmouth , been there a few weeks but noticed on Tuesday a couple had disappeared

There was 20 + a few weeks ago when I was in there with all the private plates on them too.

For a while…

He had the largest fleet of 500 hp motors in Europe.

I did a year for the man which makes me an MIB.

A good outfit to work for back then.

Seen a couple of new Daf’s pulling Ralph trailers in the last couple of weeks, painted but no sign writing.

Atchison Topeka, bought Ralph Davis about 12 months ago

biggriffin:

Is Atchison Topeka not owned by bibbys ?

largebloke1969:

biggriffin:

Is Atchison Topeka not owned by bibbys ?

Think this is the new Atchison Topeka, started by the people who sold the last company.

Atchison Topica was dissolved back in 2016

beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02249727

Ralph Davies is still trading, new director took over in Jan 2017 when the Davies family resigned and is also a director of Topeka Logistics.

companycheck.co.uk/company/0222 … house-data

Retiring on the backs of many drivers " persuaded / forced" into running bent and going without sensible sleep . No doubt very well off .
Can only hope Fat Steve is burning in hell.

All the Volvo’s will be incredibly low mileage with one careful owner,never raced or rallied and only used by a little old lady to visit the local shop in Almaty

Forced in to running bent. How do you do that then hold a gun to the drivers head.

Ralph Davies still going,got some new scanias,Volvos and saw a left ■■■■■■ Daf last week,they do some traction work for K&N and still running fridges.
Noticed some of there older Volvos pulling containers with the names still painted on front but no company name on headboard,these must be the ones flogged off.

OwenMoney:
Retiring on the backs of many drivers " persuaded / forced" into running bent and going without sensible sleep . No doubt very well off .
Can only hope Fat Steve is burning in hell.

All the Volvo’s will be incredibly low mileage with one careful owner,never raced or rallied and only used by a little old lady to visit the local shop in Almaty

I’m guessing…

There’s a large assumption on your part about running bent. I never did a minute over doing anything when I was there and I was never asked, persuaded or forced to do so either. I can’t speak for the other drivers past or present but the drivers I met were happy with the job, the motors and the firm.

I don’t doubt for a minute there was some skullduggery (for want of a better term) but, it would have been no different to other continental firms at the time.

I sure as heckfire don’t think we ever had a little old lady driving for us.

however one or two drove like little old ladies

Companys still going amongst other things they haul fruit juice for Refresco in Bridgwater with new liveried tankers. New black unamed volvo units.

Fair play to Ralph he’s probably sat in his villa in Spain having a well earned bevy.l met Ralph about 30 years ago in Spain when he only had 2 trucks,i had an f88 at the time he had a142 and 141 both immaculate trucks with all leather interior which in them days was something special.he later built up to fleet of trucks over the years which a lot of people admired , no matter where you went in France or Spain you always saw loads of them ,Ralph always took a new truck out for its first trip and if you bumped into him on way down to Spain he would always stop and by you a drink.we all know about the reputation he got over the years but let’s face it we were all running a bit dodgy in those days and a lot of the time it was just to get to places like victors or Fred’s in Madrid for a ■■■■ up,how many times have we come out of Cherbourg on a sat morning and had to make Irgun by sat nite cos of French curfew,not possible in 9hrs driving but somehow we managed it.most off the older drivers on here will know where I’m coming from, so like I said good on you Ralph you gave a lot of people work over the years and you run a well respected fleet of trucks,have a drink for me.

Exactly it was part of European haulage to run a bit bent on hours no doubt he was no better no worse than any others

must agree dave…that was the norm back in the good old days…and run one hit from zona franca to calais…papers 6pm friday night…calais for the morning…home for lunch. ( london based )

Yep, you could get from Cherbourg to Clauds legal(ish) in your hours, but on a Saturday Irun came into play legal(ish )!!

Dave wj:
Fair play to Ralph he’s probably sat in his villa in Spain having a well earned bevy.l met Ralph about 30 years ago in Spain when he only had 2 trucks,i had an f88 at the time he had a142 and 141 both immaculate trucks with all leather interior which in them days was something special.he later built up to fleet of trucks over the years which a lot of people admired , no matter where you went in France or Spain you always saw loads of them ,Ralph always took a new truck out for its first trip and if you bumped into him on way down to Spain he would always stop and by you a drink.we all know about the reputation he got over the years but let’s face it we were all running a bit dodgy in those days and a lot of the time it was just to get to places like victors or Fred’s in Madrid for a ■■■■ up,how many times have we come out of Cherbourg on a sat morning and had to make Irgun by sat nite cos of French curfew,not possible in 9hrs driving but somehow we managed it.most off the older drivers on here will know where I’m coming from, so like I said good on you Ralph you gave a lot of people work over the years and you run a well respected fleet of trucks,have a drink for me.

I like this post. Fair play to the guy.

Spent most of my driving career working for that man,they were good times and I have made a good few friends for life there.
It’s changed drastically there now hence why many have left including me.
Memories I will cherish until the day I am gone.