Newbie aiming to work in Iraq/Afganistan

I’m a newbie trucker who started his trucking career off aged 37 after working office based work for the last 15 years. I know this is a somewhat controversial topic discussed within the trucking community but my aim is to work 1 year or 6 month contracts in places such as Western Africa, Iraq and Afganistan. I’m doing agency work right now. I understand that I need more experience as I only have a few months under my belt right now.
I’m looking for contacts here who may have done this kind of work/or are doing it right now, who may be able to guide me and advise me on how to get the right experience and how much of it I would need. I understand KBR are the main company who recruit for this kind of work and there are a few other contractors aswell.

Many Thanks

Without it seeming like an insult, can I ask why you want too?

Its the last place I would want to drive a truck.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

He’s been office based for last 15yrs.Clearly needs some excitement.If getting shot at while delivering pallets of crisps or whatever is worth being shot at.I’d say go for it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lets play “spot the wind up”. Ill start…

The-Snowman:

At least the only hi viz he will need is an orange tracksuit for those potential ‘Fame at last video opportunities’ :laughing:

I know 2 lads who drove out in Iraq, but they had full US Army protection at that time, and they made a lot of money.
I do know that neither of them would go back there today, as sure as hell.

robroy:

The-Snowman:

At least the only hi viz he will need is an orange tracksuit for those potential ‘Fame at last video opportunities’ :laughing:

A Hi-vis ■■? you really think a Hi-vis will make a difference when your rolling down the main road in Iraq/ Afganistain with 30000 l of petrol or avgas and Taliban Charlie has you in the sights of his RPG? A bomb disposal suit would be a better bet .

I thought all the big money jobs had finished years ago as it’s cheaper to get third world citizens to do it

Can’t help with the details but I’ll save you a few quid with a tip…you’ll only need a one way ticket :laughing:

beefy4605:

robroy:

The-Snowman:

A Hi-vis ■■? you really think a Hi-vis will make a difference when your rolling down the main road in Iraq/ Afganistain with 30000 l of petrol or avgas and Taliban Charlie has you in the sights of his RPG? A bomb disposal suit would be a better bet .

Classic WOOOOooooooosh I reckon bud.

I’ll explain.

1410775165112_Image_galleryImage_David_Haines_executed_by_.JPG

kr79:
I thought all the big money jobs had finished years ago as it’s cheaper to get third world citizens to do it

This^^^
All driving is done by local peasants.
If you want excitement and danger just get a job that involves driving the A55 on a Friday afternoon!

msgyorkie:

Yep, same as the UK.

:confused:

Here goes.

jobs.halliburton.com/search/?q= … ionsearch=

Pack your bergan, print off a dozen c.v.'s, get a flight, knock on some doors. Take boots, hiviz and gloves with you ready for immediate start. What could possibly go wrong?

Alternatively if you want big money and can handle real drama, there is weekend work at a builders merchants available, no experience necessary. See Sammym for details

msgyorkie:

kr79:

This^^^
If you want excitement and danger just get a job that involves driving the A55 on a Friday afternoon!

Yes I know I’m a bit late to the party. I probably should have quit the office job 10 years ago but i didn’t. I’m also a qualified driving instructor but I do crave adventure and excitement so that’s why I was looking to work out there. Somewhere different. I really enjoy the driving but would like to do it outside the U.K at some point.

For the chap who said this was a wind up. I assure you its not. People are different and each to his own. If I was to spend 40 years of my working life slamming up and down the M1 M6, or M42, I would feel like I wasted some of the opportunities that may have been open to me. Thats all. Were all different bro.

The-Snowman:

I’m new I know. But go easy on me. Its no wind up it is a serious question I assure you. No 2 people are the same. I’m a person who just doesn’t like routine and daily grind all that much. Being a HGV driver is a fantastic skill to have. I never saw the appeal of settling down for the long haul. Be more open minded dude!

Not for me, and not too many people trying to kill you, but how about this?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=155907

isaac hunt:
Alternatively if you want big money and can handle real drama, there is weekend work at a builders merchants available, no experience necessary. See Sammym for details

Nearly spat my tea out reading this :grimacing: :grimacing:

Being serious… driving an artic on empty roads would be a load easier than doing builders merchant work.

For a normal driver builders merchants is probably a bit safer - when dangerous Sam is about with his crane all bets are off.

beefy4605:

robroy:

The-Snowman:

biggriffin:
Here goes.

jobs.halliburton.com/search/?q= … ionsearch=

So you could be heavy truck driving in Ecuador gringosabroad.com/so-you-want-t … n-ecuador/
Or bus driving in Kazakhstan caravanistan.com/transport/driving/kazakhstan/
Good luck…