Aren't motorway services meant to be 'secure parking?

Just woke up after my first night out (which was forced on me, but that’s another story) to find my rear doors have been opened at some point. Am at Trowell services.

I avoided stopping at a layby to avoid this. Is the only safe area security patrolled truckstops now?

Donbar:
Just woke up after my first night out (which was forced on me, but that’s another story) to find my rear doors have been opened at some point. Am at Trowell services.

I avoided stopping at a layby to avoid this. Is the only safe area security patrolled truckstops now?

So many easy jokes in that single line I don’t even know where to start. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . No sign of Dipper Dave when you need him … wait… ? Is he at Trowell? :open_mouth:

Donbar:

No, they are not. I’d say there’s more theft and damage done at services than in lay-bys, certainly seems that way recently with the amount of social media posts I’ve seen about curtain slashers around services.

Nowhere is “safe” but a truck stop is where I would park if I had something valuable on in a curtain. If you’ve got a box or fridge get the boss to get some good locks and park wherever you want and lock it.

Put yourself in the shoes of a person who wants to steal things from a truck. Do you…

A- Drive around looking for laybys in the hope you strike lucky then risk someone passing by, be it another driver, copper etc.

B- Head to a place where you know there’ll be a lot of trucks all parked in one place, where there’ll be no security and so on.

The ironic thing is a lot of insurance companies won’t pay out unless you’re parked in a truckstop or MSA because a maybe is less secure :unamused:

No they are not, just ask yourself, why would they cut into their profit by providing security, when they can rip drivers off for 30 quid plus per night :open_mouth: .(btw am I the only one who thinks that is ridiculous) provide the next worst thing to ■■■■ all, and get away with it. :bulb:

toonsy:
Put yourself in the shoes of a person who wants to steal things from a truck. Do you…

A- Drive around looking for laybys in the hope you strike lucky then risk someone passing by, be it another driver, copper etc.

B- Head to a place where you know there’ll be a lot of trucks all parked in one place, where there’ll be no security and so on.

The ironic thing is a lot of insurance companies won’t pay out unless you’re parked in a truckstop or MSA because a maybe is less secure :unamused:

Dhl insist we stop overnight at a place of ‘secure parking’ for insurance purposes.i had to stop at Cherwell Valley last night.

I’m in a MSA now, and it’s anything but secure. No fence, surrounded on all sides by farmland. A couple of CCTV cameras bolted to the lamp posts. Anybody could walk in and out. It’s practically public. How they can charge £30 per night is beyond me. I imagine this one doesn’t have security, but for those that claim they do it’s only someone in a hi-vis jacket sat in a hut on mininum wage.

Services are hunting grounds for thieves. More trucks in one space, and higher chance of getting a decent booty. With all the noise and commotion, nobody would bat an eyelid anyway. I imagine if awoken, most trampers would just go back to sleep. A few may peep out of their curtains and have a look. Even few would ring the cops. Nobody would dare risking their lives to protect a load. Especially for today’s wages.

I think laybys are more dangerous for thieves. More chance of being spotted or reported. Smaller odds of finding something valuble when they are lone trucks.

It would be nice to see more fenced parking, with bona-fide security. £30 to park in a smelly, dirty, noisy MSA with no security is beyond a joke.

Rottweiler22:
I’m in a MSA now, and it’s anything but secure. No fence, surrounded on all sides by farmland. A couple of CCTV cameras bolted to the lamp posts. Anybody could walk in and out. It’s practically public. How they can charge £30 per night is beyond me. I imagine this one doesn’t have security, but for those that claim they do it’s only someone in a hi-vis jacket sat in a hut on mininum wage.

Services are hunting grounds for thieves. More trucks in one space, and higher chance of getting a decent booty. With all the noise and commotion, nobody would bat an eyelid anyway. I imagine if awoken, most trampers would just go back to sleep. A few may peep out of their curtains and have a look. Even few would ring the cops. Nobody would dare risking their lives to protect a load. Especially for today’s wages.

I think laybys are more dangerous for thieves. More chance of being spotted or reported. Smaller odds of finding something valuble when they are lone trucks.

It would be nice to see more fenced parking, with bona-fide security. £30 to park in a smelly, dirty, noisy MSA with no security is beyond a joke.

How airport city parking charge simeral money for car???Why need protect load and risking lives???It is not drivers responsibility .Any motorway parking in England or EU never will control or make security because for this need big money.

MSA probably more safer than a lay-by for the driver himself i would think? less likely to have a couple of scrotes trying to break into the cab itself,and attacking the driver.
if they nick a few gallons of diesel and or the load,that is for the Company to worry about.

Donbar:
Just woke up after my first night out to find my rear doors have been opened at some point.

You really shouldnt ring those telephone numbers that are written on the toilet doors! :open_mouth:

After reading all this and other stuff on the same subject, can somebody remind me.
What exactly is the job of the Police these days??

I’m sick of reading their announcements of having a ‘purge’ or a ‘clampdown’ …usually on anything that generates revenue. :imp:
Or seeing them poncing around in a fancy tractor unit trying to catch you eating your Twix, it’s hardly cutting edge front line policing is it? :unamused:
Have a ‘purge’ or a ■■■■ ‘clampdown’ on something that the public actually need/want…it’s your job ffs.!!
Starting with truck crime from our pov. :bulb:

Just found this petition for mandatory security at MSA’s that could do with a nudge if anyone’s interested.

bit.ly/FACTSmotorwaysecurity

I’ve only ever had my curtains slashed once in 4yrs and that was on Frankley services. Never had any problems on industrial estates or the odd layby I’ve stopped in.

Just signed the petition

robroy:
After reading all this and other stuff on the same subject, can somebody remind me.
What exactly is the job of the Police these days??

I’m sick of reading their announcements of having a ‘purge’ or a ‘clampdown’ …usually on anything that generates revenue. :imp:
Or seeing them poncing around in a fancy tractor unit trying to catch you eating your Twix, it’s hardly cutting edge front line policing is it? :unamused:
Have a ‘purge’ or a [zb] ‘clampdown’ on something that the public actually need/want…it’s your job ffs.!!
Starting with truck crime from our pov. :bulb:

Greatest of respect (and all the other stuff you say before having a dig) - but you are a family man. If your kid was being attacked would you rather the police investigated that or looked into someone knicking some insured stuff from a commercial vehicle?

In terms of clampdowns and tractor units etc… Perhaps if drivers could behave themselves and didn’t sit on cruise texting their friends it wouldn’t be needed (and I’m guilty of this as well). Again it’s not a problem until a less skilled driver (than you) does it and plows into the car carrying your kids.

So whilst it’s not cutting edge - I think it’s fair enough. The police are not perfect - but they have a limited budged and I’d rather they concentrated on things that actually change lives rather than someone knicking from companies - especially when the companies are too cheap to bother to protect their stuff. I wouldn’t leave my car doors open - but with trucks it’s rare to see the doors locked. If I had a trailer behind my car I wouldn’t leave it overnight with valuable stuff in it covered by a tarpaulin. Big haulage companies could afford to get proper secure parking if they wanted - but they don’t bother.

Dipper_Dave:
Just found this petition for mandatory security at MSA’s that could do with a nudge if anyone’s interested.

bit.ly/FACTSmotorwaysecurity

May be simply need make some restriction for parking overnigh at not secured place with curtain side trailers(if loaded with value good) and problem sorted.But if company allow parked loaded curtainside trailer with some 100k value that i not surprised about criminal activity.

statista.com/statistics/298 … -services/
google.fr/search?q=uk+popul … e&ie=UTF-8

2011 to 2017 UK population rose from 62.74mill to 65.64million in 2016.
Public sector expenditure on police services fell from 18b to 16billion…
More people, less money spent on policing, and what does anyone think will happen?

I read a question in a learner book which was about overnight parking ,and the wrong answer which would of been my choice was to park in a dark corner with your doors up to a wall .

Donbar:

More thoughts should be put into parking for goods vehicles like the parking at Brewer Street in Birmingham fenced, cameras and facilities for drivers cooking (microwave) showers and toilets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mm1988:
I’ve only ever had my curtains slashed once in 4yrs and that was on Frankley services. Never had any problems on industrial estates or the odd layby I’ve stopped in.

Just signed the petition

I’ve only just started pulling curtainsiders again and had my curtain cut whilst parked up at the Riverside cafe. Whilst getting it repaired the next day the garage owner said it will be have been the travellers that we’re parked up nearby.

The thing is, I had my back door open and the trailer was empty.

Parking at an MSA is just like parking at a city centre NCP; you pay through the nose for the convenient location of the parking space. Anything happens and it’s “you parked here at your own risk”.