Prat of the day award goes to me

After a frustrating day I got back to the yard I’m working out of and decided to put the adblue nozzle in the fridge filler. I know I know completely different, blah blah blah but I did it. Squeezed and then realised what I’d done but a bit had gone in.

Ive coughed to it as it’s cheaper to drain the tank than run the fridge break it and cause a load to spoil. Very embarrassing. Question is it was a nearly full tank of red and a squirt of adblue. Would it have messed it.

Expensive day for me.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Dipper Dave is the man to ask about squirts in odd places …. if the fridge is still running - pas grave - crack on ….

Ad blue in a truck diesel tank certainly isn’t good.

We’ve had one breakdown after someone sticking 30 litres of adblue in then filling it up with diesel then conking out down the road.

simcor:
Ad blue in a truck diesel tank certainly isn’t good.

We’ve had one breakdown after someone sticking 30 litres of adblue in then filling it up with diesel then conking out down the road.

That’s what I thought. Fridge packing up not ideal

I could imagine trying to put something through an engine that isn’t combustible or that can be compressed will cause some real damage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Our adblue in the yard will not pump unless its in the adblue tank. There is a magnet or something that unless its there it won’t pump. This truck was done at a services no in our yard. Although we had someone dribble diesel into an adblue tank as well.

Mad with myself doesn’t cover it

Kudos for just owning up to it though as lots won’t and hope for the best.

Don’t sweat it, today I put £20 worth of petrol in my deisel car :blush:
not just petrol, ultimate petrol, only I could use expensive ■■■■.
Another £60 of ulitimal diesel and some extra additive and I think I’ve got away with it, at least its been fine the last 50 miles.
your not the only blurt today fella :blush: :laughing:

Used tp put a couple of gallon petrol with 25 of diesel yonks ago to stop it waxing up in the filter during the icy weather …

Easily done(nowdays)Don’t worry about it.

When you derv up in the pouring rain, doesn’t anyone ever wonder why the truck doesn’t completely break down - after a few rather large globs of water get into the derv tank with the cap off whilst you’re re-fuelling?

I would imagine that the concentration has to be above say, one part in a thousand before the fuel will just not ignite/burn properly.
The tolerance for a fridge compressor engine is probably even more sensetive.
However, a full belly tank you’d think would take about an eggcup full before you’d be in any bovva. :bulb: :confused:

Fuel filters are deigned to capture water, so a small amount in the system won’t hurt, it will get stopped before it gets near the combustion phase. Most fuel filters have a water drain on the bottom that you are supposed to periodically drain.

Spoke to an engineer about it and apparently they’ve had it before with someone filling the whole tank with adblue and running it. All they had to do was drain change filter and good to go. The amount I put in he said I should have kept my head down. Trouble is I’m not like that.

Costly week, Oh well…

P Stoff:
Spoke to an engineer about it and apparently they’ve had it before with someone filling the whole tank with adblue and running it. All they had to do was drain change filter and good to go. The amount I put in he said I should have kept my head down. Trouble is I’m not like that.

Costly week, Oh well…

Nah I always find it’s definitely better to do what you did and admit your mistake straight away. IF you got found out whilst keeping your head down if expensive damage had been done it would be a whole lot worse for you.

raymundo:
Used tp put a couple of gallon petrol with 25 of diesel yonks ago to stop it waxing up in the filter during the icy weather …

Yeah ,most of us used to do that ,or paraffin , in the winters of years ago, made them knock a little more , would not recommend it though in todays hi tech electro pumps and injectors .

On the plus side the company will know your a straight fella who owns up to his mistakes.

On the down side they will also think your a daft bugger. Welcome to my world.

In the end no one was hurt so all’s good.

We all make mistakes said the hedgehog climbing off the brush, dalek climbing off the dustbin, me pulling out of the cat…

I must say if it was just a bit you put in by mistake I wouldn’t of owned up especially if no one could have seen you do it.

toshboy:

raymundo:

Yeah ,most of us used to do that ,or paraffin , in the winters of years ago, made them knock a little more , would not recommend it though in todays hi tech electro pumps and injectors .

I used to run an old diesel Merc 3.5 tonner. The drivers handbook said it was acceptable to put in up to 30% “gasoline” in cold weather. I did put a few gallons of petrol in it in summer once by mistake, realised as I was doing it, just topped it right up with diesel and kept on going, it was a bit gutless but otherwise no harm done. Newer ones are not so forgiving, not long ago a mate of my brother filled his new Merc diesel car up with petrol and drove it 'til it stopped, and the cost of putting it right nearly wrote it off. Worst thing I did was a few years ago 'er indoors asked me to fill the windscreen washers on her little Peugeot before she set off on her 42 mile trip to work. I picked up the wrong can and poured in a good dose of chainsaw chain oil, sticky old stuff, she couldn’t use the washers for days, took me ages to dismantle the system and get rid of it all.
Bernard

Winseer:
When you derv up in the pouring rain, doesn’t anyone ever wonder why the truck doesn’t completely break down - after a few rather large globs of water get into the derv tank with the cap off whilst you’re re-fuelling?

I would imagine that the concentration has to be above say, one part in a thousand before the fuel will just not ignite/burn properly.
The tolerance for a fridge compressor engine is probably even more sensetive.
However, a full belly tank you’d think would take about an eggcup full before you’d be in any bovva. :bulb: :confused:

Are you forgetting oil and water doesn’t mix . The water will sit at the bottom of the tank away from the sender. But most trucks will have water traps theses days.