Combine Harvesters

Got stuck behind one today (nothing unusual this time of year) but this one was a bit different to the norm.

Firstly it was serious large - around 3.5m in width at least, took up two thirds of the road and when he met a truck coming the other way there were serious problems even cars pulled onto the grass to get out the way.

It had caterpillar tracks and a steer axle at the back and made about 14 mph top whack. The reaper boom was on a trailer in the normal way.

But here’s the thing - no marker boards, no beacons and no number plate and we followed it for about 5 miles before he turned off a different way (thankfully).

It was made by Case.

Anyway any guys on here had dealings with these things, delivering them and such?

Done a bit when on for Ricgard Long of Wymondham on the Claas contract out of Saxham, near Bury St Edmunds. teams of fitters removed and replaced the wheels. He had special trailors for the harvestors.

Took one down to Felixstowe docks for export in the 80s, it was loaded on for me.
Got to the other end had to drive it off back of low loader myself, …did not have a ■■■■ clue. :neutral_face:
Managed to blag it and off safely (eventually :smiley: ) certainly more luck than any skill. :smiley:

Spent a summer on harvest last year.
Some of those machines are massive.

It’s a weird when they unload into your trailer (I was on grain cart).
You start off being able to keep pace with the combine, but as the trailer fills, it really takes the wind out of the tractor’s sails.

My general feeling on farming vs HGV industry regulation is one is either over regulated or the other is severely under regulated.

drew30:
Spent a summer on harvest last year.
Some of those machines are massive.

It’s a weird when they unload into your trailer (I was on grain cart).
You start off being able to keep pace with the combine, but as the trailer fills, it really takes the wind out of the tractor’s sails.

Our tractors had engines !
I did one harvest many years ago driving a Massey Harris 355 (think it was) open to the dust driving position and only a 12 foot cut and when doing the barley the needles really penatrated the skin causing massive itching and the more you scratched the worse it got, the harvest bonus and the glass of warm mild beer at teatime did not in any way compensate for the torture …

A local lad exhibits a 1970’s Massey combine at some of the rallies in the area which he drives to them and tows a large home built living van behind it. You can always tell which route he has taken by all the branches on the ground! :laughing:

Pete.

Own Account Driver:
My general feeling on farming vs HGV industry regulation is one is either over regulated or the other is severely under regulated.

My thoughts too on this - it was like a house moving up the road.

One 0n the 303 at Stonehenge yesterday taking to lanes up the hill

I used to work for Case in the transport department. It should have had some sort of ■■■■■■ vehicle with it both in front and to the rear. The agricultural industry is grossly under regulated with regard to moving vehicles directly on the road. It’s only when the machines are loaded on proper carriers that they really comply. We used to use HC Wilson, Richard Long, Walkers and Rainthorpe Transport to move our big stuff. Loved that job!