New LIDL RDC Exeter

Went for the first time and to be honest I can’t really fault it for an RDC. Aside from self tip which has been done to death on here, you either don’t mind it or you hate it.

The place is clean, spacious, didn’t moan at me being an hour late. There’s toilets at security and toilets at goods in. Once you’ve tipped and your waiting for your notes rather than a tatty bench in the middle of the warehouse to sit in you’ve got a proper room to wait in that’s light, clean, has windows, seats some of which are comfy, TV on and vending machines. At security there’s also a large parking area where you can go back to and do anything you need to do like phone your planners or go on a break before leaving without either blocking a bay or having to find a corner of the yard to go in.

Well thought out site and it would be nice to see all RDCs doing similar. ALDI obviously didn’t as they only built the Bolton one recently and didn’t think of any of the above…

With the risk of sounding cynical enjoy it while it lasts, the ■■■■ flinging chimps will destroy it within a year.

A patio chair and a portakabin is all most of them deserve.

Interesting you say about self tip and it “done to death” on here, not read any topics about it really.

Is this becoming the norm at modern places, I don’t really do many RDCs.

I once self tipped at Royal Mail Rochester, but only cos they wanted to roll a forklift onto my little rigid wagon, an electric pallet truck was too much effort for them!

Alfa1M:
Interesting you say about self tip and it “done to death” on here, not read any topics about it really.

I once self tipped at Royal Mail Rochester, but only cos they wanted to roll a forklift onto my little rigid wagon, an electric pallet truck was too much effort for them!

All ALDI AND LIDL RDCs are self tip, and if you work for a general haulage company, fridge work, or some container work, there’s a high chance you will deliver to some of them fairly often.

Basically the debate is some drivers View is they are just drivers and it is someone else’s job to tip them, they never agreed to tip themselves. Unfortunately when there boss took the work on to take something to an ALDI or LIDL he agreed with his customer that his drivers would do it.

The other view being, which is my view, is that I don’t mind it. I’m in control of how long it takes. If I want to I can go slow and take my time, or if I want to be gone I can rush about and have the load off as quick as I can physically do it and get out of the yard. I’m in control and I’m not sat in my cab or a waiting room for hours not even knowing if and when they’ve even started to tip me yet.

So yes it’s been brought up on the forum in the past, and the above are generally the 2 sides to the argument.

Is this Baldrick from Blackadder talking? ‘I don’t mind G’vner…I’ll do it…in fact throw anything at me and I’ll do it…because I’m in control…anyone who self-tips a trailer in this day and age for whatever reason is a fool to himself only (well y’know I’ve got to get tipped cos I’m payed by the amount of times my door opens etc).

You see I told you, self tip always kicks off the same debate. Which is why I tried to leave it out of this post and just tried to praise other aspects of the RDC. Something positive for a change rather than usual lorry driver winging.

DickyNick:

Alfa1M:

All ALDI AND LIDL RDCs are self tip, and if you work for a general haulage company, fridge work, or some container work, there’s a high chance you will deliver to some of them fairly often.

Basically the debate is some drivers View is they are just drivers and it is someone else’s job to tip them, they never agreed to tip themselves. Unfortunately when there boss took the work on to take something to an ALDI or LIDL he agreed with his customer that his drivers would do it.

The other view being, which is my view, is that I don’t mind it. I’m in control of how long it takes. If I want to I can go slow and take my time, or if I want to be gone I can rush about and have the load off as quick as I can physically do it and get out of the yard. I’m in control and I’m not sat in my cab or a waiting room for hours not even knowing if and when they’ve even started to tip me yet.

So yes it’s been brought up on the forum in the past, and the above are generally the 2 sides to the argument.

I’m in control of how long it takes. If I want to I can go slow and take my time, or if I want to be gone I can rush about and have the load off as quick as I can physically do it and get out of the yard. I’m in control and I’m not sat in my cab or a waiting room for hours

Your not in control they are,you have to wait till they give you the paper work,which they ain’t in to much of a hurry to do ,so you sit and wait for them, weres the control there then?

I enjoy a self tip mainly because it’s free exercise and let’s face it walking with an electric pallet truck which drives itself is probably on the lower reaches of the strenuous scale.

Plus I know it’s tipped then and I’m just waiting for paperwork rather than waiting for some warehouse waller to finally get their arse in gear. I’ve been to Tesco before and sat on a bay for two hours before the green light has changed to red…

I don’t do much RDC stuff, but I had a collection yesterday from what looked like a new M&S one near Bradford (run by XPO, I think)
All was nice and clean and new.

Took me longer to drive around the building than it did to get loaded.

malcolmgbell:

DickyNick:

Alfa1M:

I’m in control of how long it takes. If I want to I can go slow and take my time, or if I want to be gone I can rush about and have the load off as quick as I can physically do it and get out of the yard. I’m in control and I’m not sat in my cab or a waiting room for hours

Your not in control they are,you have to wait till they give you the paper work,which they ain’t in to much of a hurry to do ,so you sit and wait for them, weres the control there then?

In control of the tipping side of it. I never said in control of waiting for notes. Which I’ve never waited too long for at any em anyway. 10-15 mins tops.