Loggers beware

Looks like your days are numberd,

Link :arrow_right: NEW LOGGER

quote … ‘“The driver’s cab is what makes trucks expensive to produce, and having a driver in the cabin is what makes them expensive to operate,” explained Einride CEO Robert Falck.’’

Dont believe that bit for one minute with these on the job… :slight_smile:

“Remove the cabin and replace the driver with an operator who can monitor and remote-control several vehicles at once and costs can be reduced significantly.”

What could possibly go wrong :laughing:

Been talked about for a while. One concept which I think is under trial in Sweden or finland involves trucks which autonomously guide themselves to the stack via GPS and then the crane loads the truck - all monitored by an ‘operator’ in a cosy office elsewhere. The UAV of logging. I’m sure the tech is far too expensive just now. Great for huge forests maybe, but the UK has lots of smaller plantations by comparison.

More to the point who’s going to dig it out when it gets bogged down? Will the IT geek come running from his warm orifice with a shovel in hand?

They also appear to have forgotten the crane thus its not self loading so you need another vehicle and presumably operator to do that bit? Where did they say the money saving was in this…

Also when it spots a squirrel will it know not to run over it? Squirrels are afterall the kittens of the forest and that’s without considering the danger to roaming parties of nuns! :open_mouth:

seems a bit far into the future but - if they can make it work in one of the toughest enviroments - logging and forest roads then they have one hell of a headstart . And remember forest roads won’t have as many members of the general public on them so a “safer” spot to try out their technology.
The more you think about it, it seems like a smart move .
less cab = more payload
no crane = more payload / one man in a crane / loader at the log pile= less cost

All of the above and at the end of the day can be plugged into any one of the numerious E-charging stations that can be found in remote forests.

AndieHyde:
All of the above and at the end of the day can be plugged into any one of the numerious E-charging stations that can be found in remote forests.

Yeah I agree. When I go down to the woods today I’m forever tripping over power leads and the like :laughing:

I hope I see the day that all these techie ■■■■■ working to take our jobs have their own jobs taken.

I heard this is what happened to Happysack. Replaced by a computer, ■■■■ in the office drove him into one of the few areas in the forest that had no phone signal, and like the mars rover, he was stuck there until his battery went flat.

That was parked up at Immingham yesterday on the back of a Swedish Scania. Did wonder what it was but now I know :open_mouth: