26t man tgm rear axle/wheel advice

Might be a stupid question.
But had my daf replaced with a 26t man tgm.
It has twin set rear wheels/axles. ones lift up. Never had this before.
Do I drive with them up. Down when loaded?
They rise fall automatic when loaded?
Have 2 buttons 1 with arrow wheel pic I up 1 down.
Another button wheels level.
Also do rear wheels steer. As parked up back wheels looked angled
I turn steering wheel and them seem to.turn slightly.
Hope this makes sense and isn’t a stupid question.
When I park at carlisle I do plan to.read the handbook see what it says

edd1974:

Depends on weight, normally I used to drive up whenever possible. They have a sensor they will drop the axle if weight too much for single set

edd1974:

Buttons are simply there for you to drop/raise tag as necessary. Once dropped they won’t raise automatically even if your empty. You have to raise them

edd1974:

Some do some don’t. Not familiar with MAN rigid so can’t say for sure. Is there a sticker on rear that says rear steer?

Alternatively find somewhere quiet and try do a very tight turn, stop half way round and if wheels are angled then yes it is[emoji16]

If it is I’ve no idea how you’d turn them off for reversing if you need to. That would be in book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rear drop down wheels do turn slightly on opposite lock to my steering wheel… maybe to help get around corners easier? As can’t believe how long this thing is

edd1974:
The rear drop down wheels do turn slightly on opposite lock to my steering wheel… maybe to help get around corners easier? As can’t believe how long this thing is

It probably is then and I know what you mean about length of overswing. Can be a mare in town. Rear steer will be a boon in town

Can’t wait until they start send me around central London in the thing. Am due as haven’t been around there for about 2 weeks thank god

My Merc drops axle at about 9 ton, or if ive found about 4 ton is directly concentrated over the rear wheels

Lift it whenever poss to reduce drag/tread wear and save your boss some pennies

edd1974:
Can’t wait until they start send me around central London in the thing. Am due as haven’t been around there for about 2 weeks thank god

Lucky you I’d rather have rigid, I seem to have picked up London drops in artic. Hate the dump with a vengeance.

edd1974:

You have got to be a troll ,yes stupid question , htf employed you ? :open_mouth:

Couple of things…

If it is rear steer, which it sounds like it is from what you’re saying, be careful when making tight turns as the tailswing can cause issue, especially in places like London where people will sneak through gaps. My advice is to take both lanes at tight turns and block other traffic.

On the flipside you’ll be surprised at the turns you can suddenly make with rear steer.

I’ go there so much I used hate it. Still do… God knows how anyone can live there. .
One thing I really hate though and don’t really get is them stupid metal bollard things that seem be on most corners. About foot high maybe. Almost ran aground on one once.

Punchy Dan:

edd1974:

You have got to be a troll ,yes stupid question , htf employed you ? :open_mouth:

? You know most people pass their HGV in an auto these days, I never seen a 4 over 4 gearbox before my first shift, god that worried me, let alone that your supposed to lift an axle when unladen , we weren’t all born inside a truck, also some unfixed axles steer some don’t,
would surely be more stupid of the driver to just plod on and not ask?

I’ve been driving 7 years or so now. Did my lessons in truck with split gear box 4over 4 I think. Since test never driven one. I’d say 70%have been auto. Others have been 5 gears like a car …
Was only asking as never had one before. No one where I work has one either I’m the 1st.

Wtf is letting a driver out on the road that doesn’t know about lift axles ? If a driver dosent know about such things it shows the driver isn’t aware of the lorrys payload or tare what hope is there ,like someone said they walk amongst us ! Everyone’s got to learn somewhere I know but really there are some that really should start on a pick up and work their way up one step at a time .

We used to have these at my old place… If you lift the rear axle it “magically” turns from a 26 tonner to an 18 tonner [emoji6]

Very handy for 18 tonne bridges and 18 tonne tolls roads… When doing the London run I’d often go over Tower Bridge (18 tonne limit) by simply lifting the rear axle.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Punchy Dan:
Wtf is letting a driver out on the road that doesn’t know about lift axles ? If a driver dosent know about such things it shows the driver isn’t aware of the lorrys payload or tare what hope is there ,like someone said they walk amongst us ! Everyone’s got to learn somewhere I know but really there are some that really should start on a pick up and work their way up one step at a time .

Of course another way to look at it is that the OP is asking questions rather than just plodding on and hoping for the best.

In my book it shows a desire to learn rather than stupidity.

The only stupid question is the one you end up wishing you’d asked but never.

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:

Punchy Dan:

Of course another way to look at it is that the OP is asking questions rather than just plodding on and hoping for the best.

In my book it shows a desire to learn rather than stupidity.

The only stupid question is the one you end up wishing you’d asked but never.

Sent from my mobile.

Although you are correct the op has been driving 7 yrs .

Punchy Dan:

I absolutely agree there are some complete morons driving around in trucks but doesn’t sound like this fella is necessarily one of them (he still could be). He’s clearly only just got the truck, changed by his employer not by choice too by the sounds of it. It’s surely the employers responsibility to fam train him. Yeah maybe he should know at least the basics of lift axels but driving a pickup wouldn’t teach him that, experience would (and that’s exactly what he’s about to get). I’ve worked at cowboy outfits where my tm was clueless in regards to everything about trucks and regulations so couldn’t tell me a ■■■■ thing about the new trucks. I too learned on the job when on rigids and learned ■■■■ fast as a result.

Seeing a lot of negative responses on here lately that are frankly uncalled for and often poorly thought through.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I partly agree. Hire company or somone should shown me a quick 5 mins all it takes.
Anyone who takes possession of a new truck .esp these days with all the gadgets technology. Lane control adaptive cruise control etc. When you take a new truck somone from sales /hire place should show you how it all works.
As if you’ve driven bog standard truck for years then get a new one where do you start. So many buttons and switches to play with. And best be shown rather than push buttons randomly

4yorks:
We used to have these at my old place… If you lift the rear axle it “magically” turns from a 26 tonner to an 18 tonner [emoji6]

Very handy for 18 tonne bridges and 18 tonne tolls roads… When doing the London run I’d often go over Tower Bridge (18 tonne limit) by simply lifting the rear axle.

Sent from my SM-G965F using
Tapatalk

When you lift the axle dies it magically change the maximum gross plated weight of the vehicle too?

toonsy:

4yorks:

Sent from my SM-G965F using
Tapatalk

When you lift the axle dies it magically change the maximum gross plated weight of the vehicle too?

No :smiley: only Tippex can do that…