Trailer MOT disc

So now you don’t get issued them from this week, no doubt so DVSA can save themselfs 20p a time, how are your firms marking up the trailers, I know you can search trailers on an MOT database now but when doing trailer swaps at 4am in the middle of winter in internet black spots it’s not really practical.

it will be the operators responsibility to ensure their trailers are in test if no disc is present . Only other option is to ring your transport office to check at 4 am on the winter morning . Do that a few times and they will sort something out .

beefy4605:
it will be the operators responsibility to ensure their trailers are in test if no disc is present . Only other option is to ring your transport office to check at 4 am on the winter morning . Do that a few times and they will sort something out .

peterboroughmatt:
So now you don’t get issued them from this week, no doubt so DVSA can save themselfs 20p a time, how are your firms marking up the trailers, I know you can search trailers on an MOT database now but when doing trailer swaps at 4am in the middle of winter in internet black spots it’s not really practical.

Since the abolition of Tax Discs, how are you boys checking your lorries are taxed?

Darkside:

peterboroughmatt:

Since the abolition of Tax Discs, how are you boys checking your lorries are taxed?

You can check on the government website if a vechile is taxed

trucker10:

Darkside:

peterboroughmatt:

Why would you care? As an employee my responsibilities on my walk around check are basic roadworthiness. RFL, MOT and insurance are not my responsibility and I can face no legal penalties if none of the above are in place.

the maoster:

trucker10:

Darkside:

peterboroughmatt:

Why would you care? As an employee my responsibilities on my walk around check are basic roadworthiness. RFL, MOT and insurance are not my responsibility and I can face no legal penalties if none of the above are in place.

Indeed :laughing:

We where given written instructions last week about this, and told to mark the defect sheet N/A where we’d usually note the MOT date

the maoster:

trucker10:

Darkside:

peterboroughmatt:

Exactly this…

I was wondering why there were questions about a lack of discs on trailers, when the units don’t have them either.

peterboroughmatt:

This is what our lot do.

the maoster:

trucker10:

Darkside:

peterboroughmatt:

Driving an untaxed vehicle is a strict liability offence!

Driving your own vehicle may very well be ^^^^^ , driving a company vehicle as an employee is nothing of the sort.

the maoster:
Driving your own vehicle may very well be ^^^^^ , driving a company vehicle as an employee is nothing of the sort.

Exactly

Can’t understand hang up of some over matters that have nothing to do with the employed driver of a commercial vehicle

I can honestly picture some sat in a corner looking up tax/ins/mot on line and panicking

If it’s roadworthy after my checks then the rest is company problem to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:

the maoster:

Exactly

Can’t understand hang up of some over matters that have nothing to do with the employed driver of a commercial vehicle

I can honestly picture some sat in a corner looking up tax/ins/mot on line and panicking

If it’s roadworthy after my checks then the rest is company problem to deal with

+1

Must make me a bad driver because I don’t conduct a full document audit or 10,000 point safety check each morning to make sure the truck hasn’t disintegrated in the time I’ve been asleep in it :unamused:

the maoster:

How come my nephew got 3 points and a fine for driving his company van untaxed? He had no idea that it had expired, no tax disc to look at nowadays is there? He was pulled in on a routine roadside check. :unamused:

Pete.

the maoster:

trucker10:

Darkside:

peterboroughmatt:

100% sure on that
businesscompare.com/news/bus … -insurance

windrush:

the maoster:

How come my nephew got 3 points and a fine for driving his company van untaxed? He had no idea that it had expired, no tax disc to look at nowadays is there? He was pulled in on a routine roadside check. :unamused:

Pete.

You can’t get points for no tax, a fine yes!

If he got points then more to than no tax

windrush:

the maoster:

Pete.

Was it his company, can anyone tell me when no tax became an endorsable offence?

fingermissing:

the maoster:

trucker10:

Darkside:

peterboroughmatt:

100% sure on that
businesscompare.com/news/bus … -insurance

That link also states

If an employee is prosecuted, they can claim the defence of ignorance. In order to avoid repercussions, they must adequately prove that they did not know or have any reason to believe the company vehicle they were driving was not covered by an insurance policy.

In a decent firm then an employee would have
No reason to think otherwise and would be in all probability not guilty . A firm that has questionable practices and driver knew that , then on dodgy ground

dave docwra:

windrush:

the maoster:

Pete.

Was it his company, can anyone tell me when no tax became an endorsable offence?

Sorry, called him and I got that wrong! :blush: He only got a fine (points came for an offence committed in his own car, he is a trifle erratic at times! :unamused: ) but it was a company vehicle he was driving that was untaxed. His boss paid his fine, £60 I think, plus his own penalty of course.

I know that I got a rollicking from the TM where I worked years ago for taking my truck out when the tax disc had expired (back when we still had discs) but it was just something I never looked at. The new disc was in the office, he just hadn’t given it me to place in the holder. I always made a note of the expiry date after that!

Pete.