Scania Clutch Saver

Driven a Merc for 15 years in my last job, started a new one which has a fleet of Scania G280’s.

Now pulling off is a nightmare, i cannot hear any engine when pedal to the floor, people are saying it’s because the truck has a Clutch Saver, never heard of it before.

Anybody offer any help as to how to pull off without stalling it like i did today, and struggled to move on a hill start with nothing on board and 1st gear!

Cheers.

same as a iveco i used to drive then?

bury right foot, lift clutch. the truck does it for you.

Faaaack. Really? You have no control over the pull away?

well you do, you back off the throttle once the clutch is engaged to control acceleration. when you lift the clutch and find the biting point (as you would normally) the system ‘lets go’ and its all back in your control.

You can’t rev the grannies off it while the clutch pedal is down. Find the biting point then it’s off you go. Hill starts are interesting the first time you do one :smiley:

Thanks all.

Nice day out around Huddersfield and Barnsley tomorrow, plenty of hills [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Clutch savers been around for yonks, first time i came across one was on a Renault G Manager, forces you into using 1st gear as a starting gear.
It doesn’t help that until the new gen Scania came along (much better) they seem to be the slowest vehicles of all at pulling away, making junctions difficult to say the least.

You’ll get used to it, just use 1st to get moving then slip it up a gear soon as you can, if its auto then selecting MH (if it has that function) and driving it manually will see faster gearchanges and better progress than waiting interminably for the box to sort itself out.

Just don’t stop [emoji106]

Ask an agency driver to show you how to drive it.

Conor:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and when you get fed up flogging a dead horse,try asking someone who might know. :laughing: :laughing:

No problem today whatsoever. I just let the clutch out with no acceleration and it pulled off on its own more or less. So if you put your foot down whilst the clutch is in like a car to pull off you get no revs. The trick is to pull away with just the clutch slightly then as it nears the end whack the acceleration on :smiley:

qwakers:
well you do, you back off the throttle once the clutch is engaged to control acceleration. when you lift the clutch and find the biting point (as you would normally) the system ‘lets go’ and its all back in your control.

Ahh ok, I see. Ta.

Conor:

NOW yr chattin !!!

Conor:

Just you stick to the daf cf.

These are no different to drive than any other truck.You pull away the same as you do normally and ive never had an issue with themor noticed it drove different.So no need to panic at all the clutch is for is pulling away or when your coming to a stop thats it.Changes the same as a full auto once you have pulled away so dont see why some drivers find them hard to drive or slow to change gear.

I’ve never driven anything with this.

Does it work when reversing? I hate manuals with a passion - but find reversing with a clutch an awful lot easier. Also quite like a clutch for doing tiny adjustments going forward without the manual jerkiness.