Interrupting rest when boarding a ferry

Hi,

I understand that you can interrupt a 11 hour regular daily rest to board and alight on a ferry as long as it takes no more than 1 hour either side.

do I need to add the time it took to do this onto my daily rest? or is it just ignored and treated as if I was still on the daily rest

for example

if it takes me 30 minutes to board and 30 minutes to disembark can I have 11 hours rest with a total of 1 hour boarding/embarking within this?

thanks in advance

jonnyboat:
Hi,

I understand that you can interrupt a 11 hour regular daily rest to board and alight on a ferry as long as it takes no more than 1 hour either side.

do I need to add the time it took to do this onto my daily rest? or is it just ignored and treated as if I was still on the daily rest

for example

if it takes me 30 minutes to board and 30 minutes to disembark can I have 11 hours rest with a total of 1 hour boarding/embarking within this?

thanks in advance

It is 11 hours rest PLUS a max of 1 hour total movement time

you must have a total of 11 hours rest .
any time you spend getting on or off the ferry does not count towards the rest period .
Say you start your rest at 12:00 - your 11 hours would mean you can start again at 23:00 . If it takes you 10 minutes to board and park on the ferry and another 20 to disembark and find a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ then those 30 minutes must be added on to the rest period - ie you can’t start before 23:30. You cant have any more than 1 hour of other work or driving which can be split into two periods - 5 minutes one shunt and a max of 55 on another or any mix of times as long as its not more than 1 hour .

Also don’t forget if you want to use the full hour you can work no longer than 12 hours since as usual all rest needs to fit within 24 hours of the start of your shift.

i know that if you used a ferry crossing as part of your daily rest…you had to increase the rest by 2 hours…i always did this.on newhaven dieppe…part rest in the port…drive onto the ferry,put on ferry mode…rest…then drive off and park for 2 hrs…is this not the case anymore.

truckyboy:
i know that if you used a ferry crossing as part of your daily rest…you had to increase the rest by 2 hours…i always did this.on newhaven dieppe…part rest in the port…drive onto the ferry,put on ferry mode…rest…then drive off and park for 2 hrs…is this not the case anymore.

Changed in 2007. No extra rest required

switchlogic:
Also don’t forget if you want to use the full hour you can work no longer than 12 hours since as usual all rest needs to fit within 24 hours of the start of your shift.

top tip - I’d forgotten that one .

Thanks for all your help